Piston sizes - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 02-22-2011, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Piston sizes

So I pretty much have no clue about pistons, cams, throttle bodies, and porting. I found a 12.5:1 piston for the xx and I wanted to know of any pros or cons vs a 12:1 or an 11:1. Also what cam should I run here? Hot cam stage 2?

Like I said before, I know very little about all of this. any help will be great. thanks.

08 Honda 700xx
Installed
11.0:1 CP Piston || +3 Throttle Body by Cuervo Racing || Web 290 Cam
HD Web Valve Springs || Hard Rockers || NGK BKR6EKPB-11 Laser Platinum spark plug
Modquad Air Flow System with K&N Filter || custom mounted trail tech vapor || Modified air box lid
DMC Afterburner full exhaust || EBC Dirt Racer Clutch Kit w/Cuervo Racing springs || PC3
Rear 22" Kenda Kutter XC tires || Rear 22" ITP Sand Star tires

Dyno Tuned by Cuervo Racing @ 53.82rwhp & 44tq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 02-22-2011, 06:37 PM

depends on the fuel u want to run... for PUMP GAS 91 id recommend a 11:1 CP piston....
race gas/mix then go 12.5 or higher

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 Old 02-22-2011, 07:00 PM

I have the 12:1 CP piston but I run race gas with my build. I know a lot of the guys went with 11:1 so they could be ok on pump gas and they are making great power. I see Eric from EHS ran a HC3 on his project XX and it made good power. Here's a link to a HC3 for sale on our forum.
https://www.club700xx.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5945

HDD BUILT...EVERYONE ELSE IS RACING FOR SECOND
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

08 Black/Red XX - Sparks big core exhaust, FCI custom intake with K&N, Webb 290 cam, White Knuckle 727cc big bore, CP 13:1 piston, Cuervo Racing +2 head, 48mm Lectron carb, MSD ignition, MSD coil 68HP/53TQ FOR SALE

(DL700)
Jody (Boost Addict)

post #4 of 22 Old 02-23-2011, 06:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL700 View Post
depends on the fuel u want to run... for PUMP GAS 91 id recommend a 11:1 CP piston....
race gas/mix then go 12.5 or higher
well in oregon our pump gas goes up to 93 octane. thats what I run in it now. not sure thats enough to go with a 12:1 though. If I go with a 12 or 12.5 and I run the 93, will that hurt anything? a little knocking maybe? I really dont want to pay 6 bucks a gallon for 100 octane.

08 Honda 700xx
Installed
HD Web Valve Springs || Hard Rockers || NGK BKR6EKPB-11 Laser Platinum spark plug
Modquad Air Flow System with K&N Filter || custom mounted trail tech vapor || Modified air box lid
DMC Afterburner full exhaust || EBC Dirt Racer Clutch Kit w/Cuervo Racing springs || PC3

post #5 of 22 Old 02-23-2011, 06:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08700xx View Post
I have the 12:1 CP piston but I run race gas with my build. I know a lot of the guys went with 11:1 so they could be ok on pump gas and they are making great power. I see Eric from EHS ran a HC3 on his project XX and it made good power. Here's a link to a HC3 for sale on our forum.
https://www.club700xx.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5945
what would be the main difference between a stage 2 and a stage 3?

08 Honda 700xx
Installed

post #6 of 22 Old 02-23-2011, 08:22 AM

Send a message via AIM to crwh45
Stage 2 hotcams are normally more for the everyday rider looking for a little more umph. The stage three is more mainly for racers who are in the top of the RPMs 90% of the time. Both are reliable, but for the Stage 3, you normally go with the bigger hitting piston (higher compression). It all depends what you want. I'd go with the 11.1 and stage two, so you can run 93 octane.

2008 700xx; Power Bomb header with power core 4 exhaust, Power Programmer III, pro armor nerfs, prm products control front and rear bumpers and full skid, 10" ITP rears, ITP Baja's fronts, RZR 2's all the way around, Uni filter, 13t sprocket, CCP steering Damper, DS450 shock swap, Dual Gasser Throttle, bar risers and Moose barkBusters. 730XX kit plus other engine mods!
post #7 of 22 Old 02-23-2011, 08:55 AM

with the cam and the xx it will really be about what your budget and hp expectations are. The hot cams are good because they are cheap with the xx you need more parts than other bikes with a overhead cam or rocker style with roller because you need to hardface your rockers this is an extra $150. With better cam you need better springs that will handle the added lift these are around $175 and once better ones than that are made they will be more as well the kibbles that everybody is using now will allow up to .440 lift (they say).

So to run a good (bigger) cam you need $300-$350 worth of supporting parts.

The cam is usally an extra $100 give or take so know you are at $450 extra

The good/bad when you get headwork done and progress your build you will never be able to reach its potential with a smaller cam designed for a stock head the power will be severly limited. The lift necessary for the larger flow numbers/hp will only be able to be supported by these bigger cams the smaller ones will work but it will be like buying a new liver from an acholoic sure it works but not very well.

So hot cams great for stock head next upgrade after big 3, more power, drop in, cheap, easy to install, etc. Bad for bigger builds though, bigger meaning almost anything with port work (bad meaning not that they dont make more power they will just not make nearly what bigger cams will make)

so figure out your budget and where you want to go and choose accordingly

the one point difference in comp wont make a big difference on power with a smaller cam i would go with 11.1 its just much easier for what gains you see and you dont have to worry about issues when you cant find good gas.

throttle body should be matched to cam/head

post #8 of 22 Old 02-23-2011, 05:09 PM

The Web 492 cam will set you back 210.00 and 150.00 Rockers. The 492 cam is the biggest bang for your buck.
You can have the power of the bigger builds running the stock head or a ported head. Also i support "made in the USA" Products. My.02$

The best in the business

High Desert Dyno/Cuervo Racing

Bo White 205-886-7043
Ed @

Chris & Mike

Last edited by boost addict; 02-23-2011 at 06:50 PM.
post #9 of 22 Old 02-23-2011, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

wow. Thanks a lot. that was a huge help. I might just run a 2 cam and an 11:1 piston until I can afford all the other parts and upgrade later.

08 Honda 700xx
Installed

post #10 of 22 Old 02-23-2011, 05:20 PM

It all depends what you are looking to do. I overheated my XX and damaged my rings so when I took it apart I put in a stage 2 hotcam and 11:1 piston. It runs good for what I have seen so far. Bit I didn't plan on going for any bigger of a build. I didn't even really plan on this build but I figured since it was already apart might as well add some power

Port and Polishing w/ +1 Valves by Illinois Powersports
11:1 CP 715cc Big Bore Piston
290 Web Cam
+3 Throttle Body
PCV Tuned by Illinois Powersports
61.52 HP 48.24 TQ

Special Thanks To
Illinois Powersports
630-365-6722

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode