Stage 1 hotcam decompression mechanism? - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 02-23-2011, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Stage 1 hotcam decompression mechanism?

so i brought my stock cam and stage 1 hot cam to my buddies shop to swap the decomp mech..when i pressed the stock one apart i noticed the stok cam had a drilled hole and a pin, and the surfce under the mechanism was polished, when i looked at my hotcam, the surface in the same place is machined and does not have the pin or hole, so i did not swap the mechanism because all it would do is spin on the shaft and have nothing to catch and no way of opening the valve, has anybody else noticed this or am i the only one, should i be figuring out a way to install it? i havent bolted down my valve cover yet so its still not to late to install it.

i just feel like it would do more damage than good if it were constantly spinning on a ribbed machined surface as opposed to a polished surface.

2008 TRX 700XX (Black/Charcoal)
13T,Stage 1 hotcam,11:1 CP piston,L8ton Sway bar,Orange Maier Plastics,21" razr 1 front,ITP Sandstars on 10" ITP T9 Pro Series,FMF powerbomb/powercore.EHS programmer next.

2007 GSXR 1000 (Orange/Black)
-1,+2 Driven Kit,K&N, Full Leovince stainless exhaust,PcIIIUSB/Dyno tune,Hyperpro Damper,ASV Levers,Woodcraft Engine covers,Woodcraft Clipons,Xenon HID,Carrozzeria Wheels,Galfer Rotors(gsxr.com 2010 bike of the year)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 02-23-2011, 07:40 AM

there isnt a big pin there should be a small nub if i remember right. you need to install the spring though. the decomp does not spin it needs to stay in same position as cam when it engaged it just barley will touch the rocker to let some compression squeeze out. as far as machined or polished that doesnt matter at all it needs to be oriented correctly with spring and line up the keyway when reassembling.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 Old 02-23-2011, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

i figured it was supposed to stay fixed to open the valve, the problem is my stage 1 hotcam does not have a little nub or a hole where the spring goes like on the stock cam, its just round in that area.i know on my girlfriends 400ex, it doesnt use the stock decomp mechanism, i was hoping this was the case for the xx.

13T,Stage 1 hotcam,11:1 CP piston,L8ton Sway bar,Orange Maier Plastics,21" razr 1 front,ITP Sandstars on 10" ITP T9 Pro Series,FMF powerbomb/powercore.EHS programmer next.

-1,+2 Driven Kit,K&N, Full Leovince stainless exhaust,PcIIIUSB/Dyno tune,Hyperpro Damper,ASV Levers,Woodcraft Engine covers,Woodcraft Clipons,Xenon HID,Carrozzeria Wheels,Galfer Rotors(gsxr.com 2010 bike of the year)

post #4 of 23 Old 02-23-2011, 07:59 AM

yeah if there is no nub or hole your either looking at it wrong or there is an issue with it, the spacer is not against the lobes is it covering them up? it should go lobes,decomp,spacer,sprocket hub

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 23 Old 02-23-2011, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

there must be an issue with it, after i pulled the stock one off, i realized there was a nub to hold the decomp steady, when i looked at the hotcam, it is smooth all the way around, i guess ill take the cam back out today and take pics of it, it has nothing to hold the mechanism from moving, if it has to have it i guess ill have to take it to my machine shop and have it pinned or something.

also, what is the purpose of the spring and is there a little ball like on the 400ex? i didnt see a ball and i want to make sure there wasnt one.

post #6 of 23 Old 02-23-2011, 08:35 AM

no ball, the sping is there to put it into the right position before the centrifgual force pushes it out of the way other why you would be bleeding of cylinder pressure all the time not good for power

if it wasnt there i would send it back im sure they will get you a good one

post #7 of 23 Old 02-23-2011, 08:43 AM

My stage 2 hotcam definately had a place for the spring and decompresser to go. Did you get the wrong part # maybe?

Port and Polishing w/ +1 Valves by Illinois Powersports
11:1 CP 715cc Big Bore Piston
290 Web Cam
+3 Throttle Body
PCV Tuned by Illinois Powersports
61.52 HP 48.24 TQ

Special Thanks To
Illinois Powersports
630-365-6722

post #8 of 23 Old 02-23-2011, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

i bought the cam from smooth1 on here, he had them cut for 700xx before cams were available from hotcams, im going to take it back out and tackle the issue today.i looked at it every way possible and could not see where the mechanism would stay fixed.

post #9 of 23 Old 02-23-2011, 11:06 AM

My stage 2 hot cam went back together just like stock too?? It sounds like your "custom grind" didn't account for the decomp..... did you contact smOoth? He might have some info if thats where it came from.
post #10 of 23 Old 02-23-2011, 12:12 PM

must hhave used a 650xr cam for their trial runs

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode