Hard to start with high comp piston? - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 Old 03-10-2011, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hard to start with high comp piston?

after the 11:1 piston and cam swap my xx is hard to start, im thinking the decomp mechanism is not working properly but i wanted to know if anybody else is having a problem starting thiers? and i have no idea why the decompression mechanism would not work..

2008 TRX 700XX (Black/Charcoal)
13T,Stage 1 hotcam,11:1 CP piston,L8ton Sway bar,Orange Maier Plastics,21" razr 1 front,ITP Sandstars on 10" ITP T9 Pro Series,FMF powerbomb/powercore.EHS programmer next.

2007 GSXR 1000 (Orange/Black)
-1,+2 Driven Kit,K&N, Full Leovince stainless exhaust,PcIIIUSB/Dyno tune,Hyperpro Damper,ASV Levers,Woodcraft Engine covers,Woodcraft Clipons,Xenon HID,Carrozzeria Wheels,Galfer Rotors(gsxr.com 2010 bike of the year)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 03-10-2011, 08:45 PM

I remember reading about getting a better batery for more cranking amps on higher comp engines.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MY RIDES

Amish washing the buggy^^^^
post #3 of 48 Old 03-10-2011, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I would look into you decomp mechinism....I know of bikes running 14:1 still on stock starter and battery and turn over fine.

734 09 Raptor
Meglodon by Bo,KW springs, Web 4 Cam, 54mm TB, 105.5mm CP cylinder, 14:1 CP,Barkers Inframe,Dynatek Coil,PC V,Dynatek Programable ignition,CCP stabilizer,+5 swinger,Boss Noss Sys, Direct Drive Lock-up, KDS Evac valve,HID Light conversion,SPAL fan
Tuned by EHS Racing 78hp 55Tq

post #4 of 48 Old 03-10-2011, 09:22 PM

I had a hard start problem when I first installed my 11:1 and stage 2 Web cam. I did find that the de-compressor was not working. I got it working again. Here is what I got for cranking compression; 100 psi with de-compressor inop, 75 psi with the de-compressor working. I did update to the higher cranking amp CBR battery. The CBR battery (YTZ10S) in a AGM type which is physically smaller than the stock battery, but more amps. I actually think that the YTX14S battery will fit for even more cranking amps.

11:1, Web Stg2 cam, PCV, Powerbomb/Powercore4, Razr's all around. Air cleaner lid mod, Uni filter, HID Lighting, 6 pack rack, Motion Pro twist, L8ton 9/16, DS/Elka shocks, IMS Tank, Grip heaters

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by skier207; 03-10-2011 at 11:19 PM.
post #5 of 48 Old 03-10-2011, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

how did you get the decomp mechanism working? mine seems like it is hanging up in the disengaged position but it has alot of side to side slack, its the little bar type pin that it gets caight on on the cam, i really hate this design.

13T,Stage 1 hotcam,11:1 CP piston,L8ton Sway bar,Orange Maier Plastics,21" razr 1 front,ITP Sandstars on 10" ITP T9 Pro Series,FMF powerbomb/powercore.EHS programmer next.

-1,+2 Driven Kit,K&N, Full Leovince stainless exhaust,PcIIIUSB/Dyno tune,Hyperpro Damper,ASV Levers,Woodcraft Engine covers,Woodcraft Clipons,Xenon HID,Carrozzeria Wheels,Galfer Rotors(gsxr.com 2010 bike of the year)
post #6 of 48 Old 03-10-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplyorange View Post
how did you get the decomp mechanism working? mine seems like it is hanging up in the disengaged position but it has alot of side to side slack, its the little bar type pin that it gets caight on on the cam, i really hate this design.
I installed everything and it worked for the first few starts, then no crank. The next day I went to adjust the valves after my intial run in and I couldn't hear the exhust valve snap when turning it over by hand. Ran a comp test got 100 psi. I took the valve cover off and just checked to see if it was jammed or something I didn't find anything obvious. I cleaned it with brake clean, put some engine oil on it and reinstalled the valve cover. I turned the engine by hand and I could hear the exhaust valve snap again. Ran a comp check and it was 75psi. I am thinking that perhaps the cam lube that I used may have caused it to malfunction. I think it may have hung up a few times after that. I rode it for a weekend at the dunes and had no more problems. I hope it doesn't come back to haunt me.

11:1, Web Stg2 cam, PCV, Powerbomb/Powercore4, Razr's all around. Air cleaner lid mod, Uni filter, HID Lighting, 6 pack rack, Motion Pro twist, L8ton 9/16, DS/Elka shocks, IMS Tank, Grip heaters

post #7 of 48 Old 03-10-2011, 10:08 PM

I put in the new battery and it fixed my problem

Port and Polishing w/ +1 Valves by Illinois Powersports
11:1 CP 715cc Big Bore Piston
290 Web Cam
+3 Throttle Body
PCV Tuned by Illinois Powersports
61.52 HP 48.24 TQ

Special Thanks To
Illinois Powersports
630-365-6722

post #8 of 48 Old 03-10-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash21 View Post
I put in the new battery and it fixed my problem

I installed a CBR battery , if that decompressor is not working it still won't crank with a new/bigger battery.

post #9 of 48 Old 03-10-2011, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

mine was hard to start the first time, i put as charger on it and it cranked fine,i killed it a few times and started it but it was hesitant every time, the next day it wouldnt start with a charger, put thebattery out of my gsxr in it and it does the same thing, took the valve cover off and hit thekey and it spins perfect with the spark plug in and all valves closed. i have a 180 CCA battery on the way to replace the stock 120 CCA but id like to know if it is releasing the compression.

post #10 of 48 Old 03-10-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplyorange View Post
mine was hard to start the first time, i put as charger on it and it cranked fine,i killed it a few times and started it but it was hesitant every time, the next day it wouldnt start with a charger, put thebattery out of my gsxr in it and it does the same thing, took the valve cover off and hit thekey and it spins perfect with the spark plug in and all valves closed. i have a 180 CCA battery on the way to replace the stock 120 CCA but id like to know if it is releasing the compression.

Check your cranking compression, read my first post. It maybe a little different than mine because of cam differences but more than 70-80 psi I would say is too much(de-compressor not working).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode