Sprocket Weight - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 03-12-2011, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sprocket Weight

I see all the time when looking for sprockets that some say "holes drilled for weight savings". I am just curious if this is really worth anything. I know about rotating mass and all the but the amout of weight is so tiny I cant see it making that big of a difference. So I ask you all; in the real world is it worth spending the extra $10-15 on the higher end "lighter" sprocket or is it all just crap?

Port and Polishing w/ +1 Valves by Illinois Powersports
11:1 CP 715cc Big Bore Piston
290 Web Cam
+3 Throttle Body
PCV Tuned by Illinois Powersports
61.52 HP 48.24 TQ

Special Thanks To
Illinois Powersports
630-365-6722

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-12-2011, 04:12 PM

Honestly I cant say if the weight makes a difference, but I put a bigger front sprocket on my DRZ400. I think if your gonna do it, might as well spend the extra 10-15 bucks and get a higher quality sprocket. Cause it will probably last longer, but I am a big believer in "you get what you pay for"

MY BIKES...

08 TRX700XX RED/BLACK
-HMF Comp. Slipon
-HMF optimizer
-13t sprocket
-Alba nerf bars
-TRX shock covers
-Rear rack

08 DRZ400SM WHITE/BLUE
-15 sproket
-Moose billet rear racK[/COLOR]
post #3 of 12 Old 03-12-2011, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Sometimes yes and sometimes no with you get what you pay for. I have bought stuff that ended up being over priced junk that was priced higher because of a name (example Pro Armor bumper) That's what I'm tring to find out if these are worth it or if it is just glamour

290 Web Cam
+3 Throttle Body
61.52 HP 48.24 TQ

Special Thanks To
Illinois Powersports
630-365-6722

post #4 of 12 Old 03-12-2011, 06:18 PM

I bought a "Driven" front sprocket for my Suzuki, and it has the holes in it. It was 35 bucks and I am happy with it. I dont know if they Driven makes them for the 700xx. Good luck finding what you're looking for Crash21.

MY BIKES...

08 TRX700XX RED/BLACK
-HMF Comp. Slipon
-HMF optimizer
-13t sprocket
-Alba nerf bars
-TRX shock covers
-Rear rack

08 DRZ400SM WHITE/BLUE
-15 sproket
-Moose billet rear racK[/COLOR]
post #5 of 12 Old 03-12-2011, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

So I did a bit more digging online and this is what I found for anyone who is interested.

For every 1 lb you take off rotating its equivilent to taking about 8 lb off the bike. So 11 lb of rotating might be like taking 80-88 lb off your bike. I might be a little off.

Also from what I read,
For an HP guess I would say it could be the same as gaining 4 -5 hp. Based off 11lb drop

So for the front sprocket the difference is about .5 oz which equates to about .0375 lbs. So the long and short of it is no its not worth it. If you happen to need a new front sprocket and you can get one for a good price sure it wont hurt but dont go out and buy a new one for that reason.

I answered my own question just thought I would post the results incase anyone cared.

290 Web Cam
+3 Throttle Body
61.52 HP 48.24 TQ

Special Thanks To
Illinois Powersports
630-365-6722

post #6 of 12 Old 03-12-2011, 11:54 PM

thanks crash. good info.

08 Honda 700xx
Installed
11.0:1 CP Piston || +3 Throttle Body by Cuervo Racing || Web 290 Cam
HD Web Valve Springs || Hard Rockers || NGK BKR6EKPB-11 Laser Platinum spark plug
Modquad Air Flow System with K&N Filter || custom mounted trail tech vapor || Modified air box lid
DMC Afterburner full exhaust || EBC Dirt Racer Clutch Kit w/Cuervo Racing springs || PC3
Rear 22" Kenda Kutter XC tires || Rear 22" ITP Sand Star tires

Dyno Tuned by Cuervo Racing @ 53.82rwhp & 44tq
post #7 of 12 Old 03-13-2011, 08:02 AM

I don't know if the holes help any, but it's not going to hurt it. This is the one i am using.
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/pr...FamilyId=23006

The best in the business

High Desert Dyno/Cuervo Racing

Bo White 205-886-7043
Ed @

Chris & Mike
post #8 of 12 Old 03-13-2011, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Baxter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash21 View Post
So I did a bit more digging online and this is what I found for anyone who is interested.

For every 1 lb you take off rotating its equivilent to taking about 8 lb off the bike. So 11 lb of rotating might be like taking 80-88 lb off your bike. I might be a little off.

Also from what I read,
For an HP guess I would say it could be the same as gaining 4 -5 hp. Based off 11lb drop

So for the front sprocket the difference is about .5 oz which equates to about .0375 lbs. So the long and short of it is no its not worth it. If you happen to need a new front sprocket and you can get one for a good price sure it wont hurt but dont go out and buy a new one for that reason.

I answered my own question just thought I would post the results incase anyone cared.

Cheers Crash , I find stuff like this interesting and useful.

2008 TT-ReXX , 2003 400ex and 2014 CRF250r.
Products used, abused and loved from:
Ed at

Alex at

Jim at

Kyle at

With out these guys , it would not be as much fun.
post #9 of 12 Old 03-13-2011, 09:29 PM

rotating weight is huge,, but a few 0z in a sprocket vs a few lbs in a tire/rim change is almost not worth thinking about

rotating weight does equate to a bigger gain then bike weight, bit it comes down to hp per lb... on a bike that weighs 500 lbs u need a huge bump in hp to see much difference in acceleration

post #10 of 12 Old 03-13-2011, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boost addict View Post
I don't know if the holes help any, but it's not going to hurt it. This is the one i am using.
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/pr...FamilyId=23006
That's the same one I have... 13t 14t and 15t

HDD BUILT...EVERYONE ELSE IS RACING FOR SECOND

08 Black/Red XX - Sparks big core exhaust, FCI custom intake with K&N, Webb 290 cam, White Knuckle 727cc big bore, CP 13:1 piston, Cuervo Racing +2 head, 48mm Lectron carb, MSD ignition, MSD coil 68HP/53TQ FOR SALE

(DL700)
Jody (Boost Addict)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode