striped case oil plug! - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 04-01-2011, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
pissed striped case oil plug!

yup i striped out my oil pulg on the case anyone else ever done anything like this? tap it out bigger helicoil or??????

ENGINE:(57.87HP-LTP DYNO)12:1CP,STAGE 3 HOT CAM, PORT/POLISHED HEAD,HDD +3 TB, DMC AFTERBURNER FULL EXHAUST,PCV,MODQUAD K&N FILTER/MODIFIED AIR BOX,13T
SUSPENSION:ELKA STAGE 3 REAR STAGE 3 FRONT/HOUSER ARMS,L8TON SWAY BAR
ITP T-9 PROSERIES SKAT~TRACK EXTREAM HAULERS/MOHAWKS,RAZR/RAZR 2
ARMOR:PRO ARMOR FAT PEG NERF BARS
PRO ARMOR DOMINATOR FRONT BUMPER,PRM DESERT GRAB BAR,PRM FULL UNDER SKIDS,X-POSED SHOCK COVERS
CONTROL:PROTAPER EVO BARS,ODI GRIPS,TRAIL TECH HI-RISE BAR CLAMP,ALBA STEERING STABILIZER
LIGHTING:HID CONVERSION/LED ACCENT LIGHTS
LOOKS: AMR GRAPGICS/MAIER PLASTICS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-01-2011, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemingtonSteel View Post
yup i striped out my oil pulg on the case anyone else ever done anything like this? tap it out bigger helicoil or??????
OR, you might be able to find a slightly larger drain plug... for another bike, quad or whatever at a local dealer. Drill and tap case for larger drain plug. Either way, you still find yourself drilling the case a re-taping it.... Not what I'd call fun shit. Good luck Remington.
Not even going to ask how you managed to do this.

roadkill

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
"You lock the door and throw away the key. There's someone in my head, but it's not me."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
R. Waters
x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

post #3 of 18 Old 04-01-2011, 11:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to crwh45
Do maintenance SOBER!!! haha. Depends how you stripped it. Did it happen by tightening it too much? Did the plug come back out? If so, then you are looking at re-tapping it a cooter hair bigger. Did it strip b/c you didn't have it lined up correctly? Therefore the plug didn't go all the way in? If so, you could re-tap the same size to smooth out those threads and hopefully still have enough room in there for a NEW plug to get in there and be tight.
With the location of this, I am thinking you'll probably have to pull the motor. When you tighted it down, was the washer in there? They are suppose to act as a small buffer for overtightening, which is actually why you are suppose to change the washer everytime.

2008 700xx; Power Bomb header with power core 4 exhaust, Power Programmer III, pro armor nerfs, prm products control front and rear bumpers and full skid, 10" ITP rears, ITP Baja's fronts, RZR 2's all the way around, Uni filter, 13t sprocket, CCP steering Damper, DS450 shock swap, Dual Gasser Throttle, bar risers and Moose barkBusters. 730XX kit plus other engine mods!

post #4 of 18 Old 04-01-2011, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

im pretty sure i cross threaded it and wore out the threads. the first half og the threads are shot but the back half look good but the bolt isnt long enough im gonna try and get a little longer bolt first and see if that will work or else retaping is in my future. im just woried i will have to split the case because it will have some metal in there from drilling it out.

ENGINE:(57.87HP-LTP DYNO)12:1CP,STAGE 3 HOT CAM, PORT/POLISHED HEAD,HDD +3 TB, DMC AFTERBURNER FULL EXHAUST,PCV,MODQUAD K&N FILTER/MODIFIED AIR BOX,13T
SUSPENSION:ELKA STAGE 3 REAR STAGE 3 FRONT/HOUSER ARMS,L8TON SWAY BAR
ITP T-9 PROSERIES SKAT~TRACK EXTREAM HAULERS/MOHAWKS,RAZR/RAZR 2
ARMOR:PRO ARMOR FAT PEG NERF BARS
PRO ARMOR DOMINATOR FRONT BUMPER,PRM DESERT GRAB BAR,PRM FULL UNDER SKIDS,X-POSED SHOCK COVERS
CONTROL:PROTAPER EVO BARS,ODI GRIPS,TRAIL TECH HI-RISE BAR CLAMP,ALBA STEERING STABILIZER
LIGHTING:HID CONVERSION/LED ACCENT LIGHTS
LOOKS: AMR GRAPGICS/MAIER PLASTICS
post #5 of 18 Old 04-01-2011, 12:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to xx700xx
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemingtonSteel View Post
im pretty sure i cross threaded it and wore out the threads. the first half og the threads are shot but the back half look good but the bolt isnt long enough im gonna try and get a little longer bolt first and see if that will work or else retaping is in my future. im just woried i will have to split the case because it will have some metal in there from drilling it out.
If you're going to thread in another bolt you might want to clean up the threads with a tap the same size as the current bolt first. Then I would flush a little bit of oil through to get any metal out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 18 Old 04-01-2011, 01:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to crwh45
Exactly what xx700xx said. I would tilt it on it's side though while you do this a little bit, so you are working up into it so gravity can take most of it out.

2008 700xx; Power Bomb header with power core 4 exhaust, Power Programmer III, pro armor nerfs, prm products control front and rear bumpers and full skid, 10" ITP rears, ITP Baja's fronts, RZR 2's all the way around, Uni filter, 13t sprocket, CCP steering Damper, DS450 shock swap, Dual Gasser Throttle, bar risers and Moose barkBusters. 730XX kit plus other engine mods!
post #7 of 18 Old 04-01-2011, 01:45 PM

Maybe put some grease on the tap? So the metal will stick to it.
post #8 of 18 Old 04-01-2011, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to 700xxmaniac
i striped the rear diff oil bolt on my recon a few year back... re-tap it

08 TRX700XX
-uni
-primary drive 13t
-pclll
-soon to have a cp 11:1

99 ford f-250 ccsb 7.3

-skyjacker 6'' lift
- 315-75r16 pro comp xtarrain
-sct 100hp tune
-straight pipe with 4'' dp
-dana 60 swap with mile marker hubs

06 pos hyundia tuscon
-dont buy one there junk

live to ride and ride to live
post #9 of 18 Old 04-01-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-N-BlackXX View Post
Maybe put some grease on the tap? So the metal will stick to it.
also try and magnetize it this could help i would think?? and when your done stick your magnetic "dropped bolt retriever" in the hole to try and clear it out??? dont know how well these will work since its all metal but i would think the strong magnet would grab up the little slivers fairly well. since the actual magnet would be stronger than any of the case it touched and magnetized i would think it would clear all the shavings pretty well

2008 trx700xx
dg steel series nerf bars
13t renthal
3D powertip
razrs on her feet
~If it aint got a wing, you aint got a prayer... RIDE RED!!~

Last edited by b.courtney_700xx; 04-01-2011 at 02:49 PM.
post #10 of 18 Old 04-01-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.courtney_700xx View Post
also try and magnetize it this could help i would think?? and when your done stick your magnetic "dropped bolt retriever" in the hole to try and clear it out??? dont know how well these will work since its all metal but i would think the strong magnet would grab up the little slivers fairly well. since the actual magnet would be stronger than any of the case it touched and magnetized i would think it would clear all the shavings pretty well
you'll need an aluminum magnet for this

Reply from 192.168.13.100: bytes=32 time=16275001ms TTL=128
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode