Cam and Piston question - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 04-07-2011, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cam and Piston question

Ok here's my situation. Hope you guys can help me make a better educated decision. I have a stage 3 hot cam. Got it really cheap from my dealer. Been reading alot of threads about how to get more power on the cheap. I was thinking about just dropping this cam in and getting a map from EHS for my bullit box(dobeck) programmer. Eric has tested the cam with a big 3 bike and gained 5 hp up top. Now i'm not sure how this will affect the bottom end of the power curve though? I want a even power curve. Much like it is with the big 3 but pull harder.I would have no problem dropping in a 11:1.1 CP piston, but thats gonna cost me quite a bit more money. My question is... do i really need the piston? Will it be worth all the extra money by just going from 10:1.1 to 11:1.1? I have talked to several of the best engine guru's on here and they seem to have different opinion's on the matter. What do you guys think? I got the stage 3 cam for $135 and Eric already has a map for it. So i'm not sure if i should just drop in the cam or wait til i have the money for the piston and maybe some port work?

Oh and please don't turn this into a hot cam vs. webb cam thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 04-07-2011, 03:10 PM

it depends if your gonna do it all yourself or not too because the labor will add up really fast. you can get the piston kit for 280 with all the new gaskets you need. it gonna give you more power for sure but do u really want to tear it down that far is another question. the cam should give you more through out the entire power curve that you will notice. i spent a long time making some of the same decisions. and it finally came down to the fact that i dont want to be tearing the engine down over and over to add aprts here and there. each tear down means new oil and coolent too$$$$

ENGINE:(57.87HP-LTP DYNO)12:1CP,STAGE 3 HOT CAM, PORT/POLISHED HEAD,HDD +3 TB, DMC AFTERBURNER FULL EXHAUST,PCV,MODQUAD K&N FILTER/MODIFIED AIR BOX,13T
SUSPENSION:ELKA STAGE 3 REAR STAGE 3 FRONT/HOUSER ARMS,L8TON SWAY BAR
ITP T-9 PROSERIES SKAT~TRACK EXTREAM HAULERS/MOHAWKS,RAZR/RAZR 2
ARMOR:PRO ARMOR FAT PEG NERF BARS
PRO ARMOR DOMINATOR FRONT BUMPER,PRM DESERT GRAB BAR,PRM FULL UNDER SKIDS,X-POSED SHOCK COVERS
CONTROL:PROTAPER EVO BARS,ODI GRIPS,TRAIL TECH HI-RISE BAR CLAMP,ALBA STEERING STABILIZER
LIGHTING:HID CONVERSION/LED ACCENT LIGHTS
LOOKS: AMR GRAPGICS/MAIER PLASTICS
post #3 of 26 Old 04-07-2011, 03:12 PM

man, i have a stage 2, 11:1 piston and ehs programmer with erichs reccommended settings and i am totally happy with my build, im not sure which one gave me the power but i would go with the piston to utilize the extra fuel you are dumping in with the cam.

you also come out cheaper buying the gaskets from an online honda parts dealer like motogrid and buying the basic ring and piston kit.

2008 TRX 700XX (Black/Charcoal)
13T,Stage 1 hotcam,11:1 CP piston,L8ton Sway bar,Orange Maier Plastics,21" razr 1 front,ITP Sandstars on 10" ITP T9 Pro Series,FMF powerbomb/powercore.EHS programmer next.

2007 GSXR 1000 (Orange/Black)
-1,+2 Driven Kit,K&N, Full Leovince stainless exhaust,PcIIIUSB/Dyno tune,Hyperpro Damper,ASV Levers,Woodcraft Engine covers,Woodcraft Clipons,Xenon HID,Carrozzeria Wheels,Galfer Rotors(gsxr.com 2010 bike of the year)

post #4 of 26 Old 04-07-2011, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Yeah i can probably do the cam myself. The thing is... If i add the piston i will probably hafta take the bike to Eric for tuning. Cause he doesn't have a map for the cam and piston. He just has the cam or the cam, piston and port work. I don't really wanna tear it down. I don't need alot more power. Just thought this would be a cheap way to gain a few extra ponies. $135 for 5hp just got me to thinking.
post #5 of 26 Old 04-07-2011, 04:14 PM

theres a lot more to think about too the more power you go ur gonna need a better clutch and like you said tuning possible stronger chain etc. with just the cam you will be fine running the stock stuff. not sure if it will be quite 5hp but but to me the numbers dont matter just as long as its got more power.

ENGINE:(57.87HP-LTP DYNO)12:1CP,STAGE 3 HOT CAM, PORT/POLISHED HEAD,HDD +3 TB, DMC AFTERBURNER FULL EXHAUST,PCV,MODQUAD K&N FILTER/MODIFIED AIR BOX,13T
SUSPENSION:ELKA STAGE 3 REAR STAGE 3 FRONT/HOUSER ARMS,L8TON SWAY BAR
ITP T-9 PROSERIES SKAT~TRACK EXTREAM HAULERS/MOHAWKS,RAZR/RAZR 2
ARMOR:PRO ARMOR FAT PEG NERF BARS
PRO ARMOR DOMINATOR FRONT BUMPER,PRM DESERT GRAB BAR,PRM FULL UNDER SKIDS,X-POSED SHOCK COVERS
CONTROL:PROTAPER EVO BARS,ODI GRIPS,TRAIL TECH HI-RISE BAR CLAMP,ALBA STEERING STABILIZER
LIGHTING:HID CONVERSION/LED ACCENT LIGHTS
LOOKS: AMR GRAPGICS/MAIER PLASTICS
post #6 of 26 Old 04-07-2011, 04:14 PM

Put the cam in now and wait till your rings are wore out for the new piston (or 727 kit). Keep that factory seal as long as you can!
post #7 of 26 Old 04-07-2011, 04:28 PM

u can get the cp11:1 piston and gasket kit on ebay for $225 from alba racing. ebc clutch for about $100 on ebay. I still havnt had a chance to really ride mine since i added these mods, so I dont really have any feedback.

08 Honda 700xx
Installed
11.0:1 CP Piston || +3 Throttle Body by Cuervo Racing || Web 290 Cam
HD Web Valve Springs || Hard Rockers || NGK BKR6EKPB-11 Laser Platinum spark plug
Modquad Air Flow System with K&N Filter || custom mounted trail tech vapor || Modified air box lid
DMC Afterburner full exhaust || EBC Dirt Racer Clutch Kit w/Cuervo Racing springs || PC3
Rear 22" Kenda Kutter XC tires || Rear 22" ITP Sand Star tires

Dyno Tuned by Cuervo Racing @ 53.82rwhp & 44tq
post #8 of 26 Old 04-07-2011, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

I was planning on adjusting my valves this weekend. Then i read about how Eric had dynoed a stage three hot cam on a big three XX and it made around 5 more hp. So i called to see how much the cam was gonna be and this is what got me to thinking about doing it. Here's the dyno sheet. Top is ehs big three with stage 3 hot cam, under that is just the ehs big 3.
post #9 of 26 Old 04-07-2011, 06:28 PM

Looks like you do loose a bit down low but may be unoticable. Since you have the cam i'd just put it in for now. Ride it for a while and if your not satisfied with the power down low then do the 11:1 piston later.

2008 red TRX700, CCP stabilizer, PRM Desert II, 13T sprocket, 23" Razr 2's, 11/16" sway bar,Elka Stage 2 Fronts, EHS Big 3, UNI filter, IMS PowerMadd Hand Guards, Wiigstyle rear shock re-spring, Teixeira Tech front upper A-arms,Precision Shock & Vibe clamps, Tusk Chub CR high bend, ODI Rouge grips, HCC seat cover, kenda kutter rear.

2010 camo Polaris Sportsman 850
post #10 of 26 Old 04-07-2011, 06:33 PM

That doesnt seem right either though. I thought the big 3 added more than 3hp in the first place and they even said unless you go with something bigger than any of the hotcams the port and polish didnt really make that big of a difference. With the tune if you took his map for cam,pistion,and port then knocked the settings down .5 each you should be good. I did that and it ran great before I switched to the PCV and auto tune just cause I got a great deal for it. Dont let the idea of tuning hold you back. The cam is easy to do by itself, but IMO taking all the other crap off to get to that point is the bigger pain

Port and Polishing w/ +1 Valves by Illinois Powersports
11:1 CP 715cc Big Bore Piston
290 Web Cam
+3 Throttle Body
PCV Tuned by Illinois Powersports
61.52 HP 48.24 TQ

Special Thanks To
Illinois Powersports
630-365-6722

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode