Plug Chops, the Correct way - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 05-22-2011, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Plug Chops, the Correct way

So what is the general census on the correct way to do plug chugs to tune a controller.

1/4 throttle
1/2 throttle
full throttle

3 plugs?

?????

How far? How Long? What Gear? Im assuming I don't need 5th gear wipe open... So Like 3rd gear for all three? But how long.

Im a nub and couldn't find any right ups on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-23-2011, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

OK I think I tried and I Failed.

Do I like only run it for like 15-20 seconds. Im having trouble finding a area large enough to get in in 3-4th gear for an extended amount of time.

Someone has got to have some tips for me?

What about jacking the bike up on stands?
post #3 of 7 Old 05-24-2011, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

OK so since no one offered me the correct way to do this here is what I did.

I purchased THREE new plugs. I programmed the EHS programmer to 3/3/2.5 I beleive. It was .5 down on each from stock because I thought it was running rich.

First I let it idle a bit with plug ONE and then ran it about 3/8 mile on 1/4 throttle. It is the First plug in the picture looking left to right.

The SECOND is 1/2 throttle for the same distance.

The THIRD was 3/4 to Wide Open for the same distance again.

Here are 2 shots one with and without the flash.

Next I put it back to stock settings and did about 20 minutes of trail riding. Second and third gear mainly. Most likely 1/2 to 3/4 throttle.

This was with the original 3.5/3.5/3 settings. TBH, it does not look how I thought it would.

Thoughts??

post #4 of 7 Old 05-24-2011, 09:15 PM

Hard to say from the pics. Tan and fuzzy is what you want. You can probably find some guides online to compare your to directly. Here is my opinion on how to do them. If you want to check all three circuits, get three more new plugs. Get the bike warmed up with an old plug. Have your controller out so you can see it change from low, to mid, to high. Do the high first. Change the plug where you are going to take off at. I usually go wide open in highest gear till I know it has really wound out. Clutch it and kill it at the same time. Coast to a stop and check the plug. Do the same for mid and low by watching the lights on the programmer and keeping it in the top end of each. Make sure to start with a new plug each time. You don't have to do them in high gear if you don't have the room.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
KASH 2011
post #5 of 7 Old 05-24-2011, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
If you want to check all three circuits, get three more new plugs.
GG i got 7 of those 10 dollar plugs already! Can I just do it with some generics :-D

Also how long should I keep it at the top of each circuit? 15 seconds? 45 Seconds? This is wear I am failing I think.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-24-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhibbs12 View Post
GG i got 7 of those 10 dollar plugs already! Can I just do it with some generics :-D

Also how long should I keep it at the top of each circuit? 15 seconds? 45 Seconds? This is wear I am failing I think.
I wouldn't have bought the $10 plugs to start with, so I am going to say plain old NGKs would be fine. Although, I don't know the heat range of the plug you are showing in the pics, so to be safe you should probably do the final check with what you are going to run. If you are concerned about cost, you can clean them and reuse them. It isn't ideal, but it will work fine as long as you get them clean. 15 seconds is pretty good in my opinion if you know you are close, you should start less than that if you are concerned about being way lean. You don't have to count, just close to that and you will be fine. You don't have to do it for a long time, if it is right it is right and it will read the same IMO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
KASH 2011
post #7 of 7 Old 05-24-2011, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info EE. Gonna give it another go tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode