Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner

Stripping Engine Gold Questions

5K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  EEHonda 
#1 ·
Alright so time to display my complete ignorance of the engine :lol:

Heres a pic of both sides of my 700. I really don't like the gold paint they put on it because its kinda ugly (to me) and my riding boots scrape it pretty badly. I was thinking of trying to remove the color so its the same color as the rest of the engine

So my question is two parts. Firstly, will paint remover take that crap off? (just leaving it plain aluminum color). Any reason I should not do this? What about the heat shield on the exhaust? Or is there some other easier way?

And secondly, if I can strip them somehow can I take those two big side cover pieces off to do it? I have almost no clue whats under them except I think a bunch of buff hamsters on treadmills. Is it hard to do? I figure a full oil change is in order but thats fine

Was thinking of doing this some weekend if its possible but really wasn't sure if I could

Thanks for any replies

See less See more
#2 ·
what I did for the heat shield was take it off and paint it black with rustoleum high heat paint. It was on there for about 8 months started to get a little scratched up took it off hit it with a wire-wheel and repainted it.

I also made the dumbass attempt at painting the engine parts that you are talking about the same way and in a few rides most of the paint chiped off and was rubbed off by my boot.

#3 ·
If you want to change the color of the side covers, the best way to do it is take them off and have them powdercoated whatever color you want. the powdercoatstays on really well but will still scuff off with your boots eventually tho. ps; powdercoat will even work on exhaust, it takes heat real well

#4 ·
If you like the bare aluminum look just get a dremel tool and buff the coating off. After you get it off you can get a polishing kit for the dremel and polish the covers. I think it'd look pretty cool polished.

#7 ·
Friend did it on his, he used paint stripper i believe and mothers along with a Dremel, came out good.

#10 ·
Thanks for the responses. Think I'll give it a try at some point, I have a dremel so I might take a trip to Acehardware and get some polishing compound and give it a try some weekend

I rather like this idea ... might do it

#11 ·
I sanded mine and then cut and buffed the hell out of it till it was polished it was not a fun task but looks mutch better imo

#12 ·
I wouldn't take the cover off on the left side at all, unless you are doing motor work, as that has a lot of internals in it. The right side is just your clutch cover, and when you take it off, it will expose your clutch, which is no biggie. I would just use the dremel and leave the covers on.

#13 ·
U need to use paint stripper first, trust me it will save alot of time. Go to ur local automotive paint store and look for a brand called aircraft remover. Brush it on a few times, keep it wet, and a fine scotch brite will wipe it right off. Then wet sand it starting with 800 and work ur way to 2000. Then polish. But the polished look is gonna require alot of maintence to stay nice. Not really the best idea for a quad that stays muddy, and gets scratched up alot. Polished parts that are not polished regularly looks cheap, and half assed. Your gonna regret it

#18 ·
I usually just stick a wire wheel in the bench grinder and set too ! Remove the gold coating then polish with Autosol metal polish. It takes time and you need alot of rags/cloth to do this.

#21 ·
I am not going to advocate clear coat paint for longevity on cases. But you can make it look nice at non rub locations on polished pieces by stripping the polish or buffing compound with brake parts cleaner, heating the part up and spraying light coats. It does change the finish a bit, but if you are on a budget and like to do stuff like that it is ok.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.