need some help.. sudden smoke - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 06-09-2011, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
sad need some help.. sudden smoke

well the xx has ran great since i bought it over a year ago, but like most everyone else i wanted more power and speed.. i didnt have enough for the big three so i got the EHS lid and programmer and got the special spark plug. well now it runs great but if you rev it up half way or above it will smoke. comes out black at first then goes to a greyish/white smoke as its idling down. i know the programmer doesnt actually mess with timing- just fuel. so what is the deal? only had it on for bout 2 months now and rode 3-4 times. we don't ride it hard and i have the programmer set like its suppose to be. i even changed it up and down a few notches but no change. it doesnt smoke like that every time you rev it up but probably 1/3 of the time and doesn't smoke noticeable when riding....

so any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated. doing valve checks now. just praying the motor aint going bad.

2008 black/grey 700xx. moose nerfs and grab bar, pro armor front bumper, tusk 1 1/8" bars, spider grips, custom indicator light mount, ehs lid & programmer, uni filter,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-09-2011, 10:09 PM

Sounds like its burning oil, blown gasket maybe. Have you checked the plug to see if its running rich? I'm sure someone with much more knowledge than me will chime in though. Good luck on getting it worked out.

HDD BUILT...EVERYONE ELSE IS RACING FOR SECOND
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

08 Black/Red XX - Sparks big core exhaust, FCI custom intake with K&N, Webb 290 cam, White Knuckle 727cc big bore, CP 13:1 piston, Cuervo Racing +2 head, 48mm Lectron carb, MSD ignition, MSD coil 68HP/53TQ FOR SALE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(DL700)
Jody (Boost Addict)
post #3 of 14 Old 06-09-2011, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

No, i didn't think to do a plug check before i tore it apart to do valves but i am going to put a stock plug back in it tomorrow to see if maybe it doesnt like the hotter plug. i've checked oil and water and everything i can see all looks normal to me. oil level doesn't look any lower than before either.

2008 black/grey 700xx. moose nerfs and grab bar, pro armor front bumper, tusk 1 1/8" bars, spider grips, custom indicator light mount, ehs lid & programmer, uni filter,

post #4 of 14 Old 06-09-2011, 10:57 PM

Did you change the programmer settings to the right thing or leave it on how it came?

Port and Polishing w/ +1 Valves by Illinois Powersports
11:1 CP 715cc Big Bore Piston
290 Web Cam
+3 Throttle Body
PCV Tuned by Illinois Powersports
61.52 HP 48.24 TQ

Special Thanks To
Illinois Powersports
630-365-6722

post #5 of 14 Old 06-09-2011, 11:42 PM

Did you put too much oil on your filter? Maybe you over oiled your filter and you're burning the excess oil?

08 Black/Red XX - Sparks big core exhaust, FCI custom intake with K&N, Webb 290 cam, White Knuckle 727cc big bore, CP 13:1 piston, Cuervo Racing +2 head, 48mm Lectron carb, MSD ignition, MSD coil 68HP/53TQ FOR SALE

(DL700)
Jody (Boost Addict)
post #6 of 14 Old 06-10-2011, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

i had settings set to right settings per the instructions and i didn't oil my air filter bc when i got it the guy here told me it was a dry filter and didnt need oiled. i think it is actually a no-toil filter... one exhaust valve was a little tight but everything else was ok, and i checked the oil screen and it was good as well. fuel pump filter is a little dirty but i don't think that would cause the smoking, im changing it anyway though. i'm at a loss for what is causing it and it's bugging me.

Last edited by dwoods90; 06-10-2011 at 02:36 PM.
post #7 of 14 Old 06-10-2011, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

i just talked to the wife and she said she was riding it the other day and was just cruising and it backfired a little then died. and died another time after but didnt backfire then.. now i'm really lost

post #8 of 14 Old 06-10-2011, 03:02 PM

Take off the programmer and see if it still does it.

(DL700)
Jody (Boost Addict)
post #9 of 14 Old 06-10-2011, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

ok thanks. i had to order the fuel filter so it will be here tuesday then i'll put everything back and unhook that then try it.

post #10 of 14 Old 06-10-2011, 06:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to xx700xx
If the smoke is black you're running too rich. Did you check the spark plug? That can tell you a lot. If the plug is covered in a thick black soot than the machine is too rich. Not sure if Eric at EHS has a program for your set up or not. If you're puffing a smoke with a blue tint than you're burning oil. If the smoke is white than it is most likely coolant. Check your plug, oil level and coolant level. You can slowly diagnose whats going on that way.

Eric's big 3 package is awesome but you might want to take the fuel programmer off till you get the full barkers exhaust. Also, talk to Eric and see what settings he sent you. With your current mods you should be just fine without the programmer till you have the money for the exhaust

Last edited by xx700xx; 06-10-2011 at 06:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode