Header wrap - cut down on heat? - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 06-27-2011, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Header wrap - cut down on heat?

I rode on saturday and sunday I was feeling the pain. The pain on the side of my calf from the MASSIVE amount of heat coming from my header. DAMN that thing gets hot. I was going to wrap it with exhaust wrap, can anyone give me any pointers or at least tell me - yes that will help cut down the heat - and if so, by how much?

TIA!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Honda TRX700XX | 13t Sprocket | HID Headlights | Steering Dampner | ITP Baja Fronts / ITP Pro's Rear | Maxxis RAZR2's all the way around!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-27-2011, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I wrapped the headers on my Z71 becasue they were getting soooo hot.... the wrap made them go from glowing at night to cool enough you can grab them after running a while.... i thought about wrapping the header also, let me know how it goes

TEAM TORQUE RACING
2009 TRX700XX
Visual: Maier white/black carbon fiber body, 22x11x10 and 22x7x10 razrs on ITP SS112, Renthal bars, ProArmor full nerfs, pro grip grips, red underglow, 55W Bi-xenon H.I.Ds

Performance: Full barkers exhaust, PC5, EHS air box lid, P&P Shaved Head, Hardwelded Rockers, Stage 3 Hot Cam, 11:1 CP piston, K&N filter, 13T, 14T, 15T, 16T & 35T, 37T primary drive. & NO2

post #3 of 16 Old 06-27-2011, 01:20 PM

I was thinking about wrapping mine also but was wondering about header rusting if the wrap holds moisture(obviously not while runnng)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MY RIDES

Amish washing the buggy^^^^

post #4 of 16 Old 06-27-2011, 01:24 PM

I have also wondered the same thing my sparks header has no heat shield and it gets pretty hot on the calf.

Pro Armor Fatpeg Nerfs
Pro Armor Skidplate
Razr 2's all around
Dynojet PCV
Curtis Sparks X6 Exhaust
PRM Desert II Bumper
CP 11:1 piston
WEBB 290 Cam
Ported +1 head by Bo White
HDD +3 Throttle Body

Loud Pipes Save Lives
post #5 of 16 Old 06-27-2011, 02:07 PM

If you wrap the stock header make sure you let it dry out after washing the bike. It will rust out in no time if you don't. The aftermarket headers are made of better quality stainless, so that shouldn't be as much of an issue on those, but i would dry them out also. (Just let the bike run a few minutes after washing.) It should definitely help keep your leg cooler. Mine doesn't get hot anymore with the programmer on and the barker pipe. Stock was extremely hot though. Spend some of that big money and get a big three package!
post #6 of 16 Old 06-27-2011, 02:54 PM

in the automotive world a vehicle can run more efficiently with the headers wrapped because of heat disspersion. The wrap helps the heat remain in the pipe till released where desired. More efficiency means for better fuel economy, less fan operation, less motor strain, and less driver fatigue. My truck took a while to wrap but now you pop open the hood and a invisible heat wave doesnt hit you in the face! And i dont have much of a problem with my wrap holding moisture, just dont buy the cheapest stuff possible.

TEAM TORQUE RACING
2009 TRX700XX
Visual: Maier white/black carbon fiber body, 22x11x10 and 22x7x10 razrs on ITP SS112, Renthal bars, ProArmor full nerfs, pro grip grips, red underglow, 55W Bi-xenon H.I.Ds

Performance: Full barkers exhaust, PC5, EHS air box lid, P&P Shaved Head, Hardwelded Rockers, Stage 3 Hot Cam, 11:1 CP piston, K&N filter, 13T, 14T, 15T, 16T & 35T, 37T primary drive. & NO2

post #7 of 16 Old 06-27-2011, 03:06 PM

Mine is wrap and the heat is not as bad but is still there especially if I'm riding in trails that I'm going slow, more heat generated then but overall I'm happy with it. Be aware that it's a pain in the ass to wrap it unless you have the header off then it would be easy and wear some gloves/mask. Can't find where I ordered my wrap but their prices were real good, found them doing a google search.

Supertrapp SL, Pro Design Filter, PCIII, PRM Baja Front Bumper, PRM 6 Pack Grab Bar, Ricochet A-Arm guards, 23" Front ITP Pro Series, Kenda Kutters XC on DWT Red Labels, Motion Pro Twist Throttle,Maier Plastics, Elkas Front Shocks (Preload)
post #8 of 16 Old 06-27-2011, 03:08 PM

This is where I purchase my wrap; http://store.newlevelmotorsports.com/lawrheextawr3.html

Supertrapp SL, Pro Design Filter, PCIII, PRM Baja Front Bumper, PRM 6 Pack Grab Bar, Ricochet A-Arm guards, 23" Front ITP Pro Series, Kenda Kutters XC on DWT Red Labels, Motion Pro Twist Throttle,Maier Plastics, Elkas Front Shocks (Preload)
post #9 of 16 Old 06-28-2011, 10:32 PM

You can buy header wrap at advance auto parts.
post #10 of 16 Old 06-29-2011, 12:01 AM

I bought a Heat Wrap at Advanced Auto Parts. It kind of looks like a sleeve and it about 12+in long. It is sewn together, I just cut the threads and made it into a small blanket. It does not wrap the whole head pipe but enough to keep you from burning yourself. I wrapped it around the head pipe and then used saftey wire to secure the ends. It works like a charm, I rode last weekend on a 90+ degree day and I was fine. It does not look as good as the header wrap but for less than 20 bucks it works. I will try to get a pic if anyone is interested. Like all the guys said if useing header wrap, wash it off when you get home just let it run for a few mins and it will dry out. I have header wrap on my Foreman 450es and I wash it off after every ride and let it run for a few mins and have had no problems with it rusting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode