Cleaning sand out of air filter - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 07-11-2011, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cleaning sand out of air filter

So I'm having a problem cleaning sand out of my air filter. I have a UNI filter in both my dirt bike and quad

After last ride I took them both out and the quad filter had quite a bit of sand stuck to the oil, so I rinsed them good with gasoline, then simple green and water followed by soaking them for awhile and then since they still didn't seam clean I rinsed the crap out of them with the UNI cleaner

All said and done the yellow inserts in both my filters picked up some sand while cleaning it off the other part and I can't seem to get it out. Not a lot but enough I am not comfortable with it

Any ideas? At this point I was going to try waiting for them to dry and then taking an air nozzle to them to see if it will blow the sand off (at a distance of course)

08' TRX700xx - Red n' Black
Big Gun EVO r Exhaust
Uni Filter, L8ton Racing 9/16" Sway Bar
DG V-Lite Bumper. Trimmed Fenders
22" Kenda Kutters all around (dirt)

00' CR250rintintin
FMF Gnarly / Turbine Core 2 Exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-12-2011, 04:32 AM

sorry man, I have no idea how to get it out. may just have to replace it.

08 Honda 700xx
Installed
11.0:1 CP Piston || +3 Throttle Body by Cuervo Racing || Web 290 Cam
HD Web Valve Springs || Hard Rockers || NGK BKR6EKPB-11 Laser Platinum spark plug
Modquad Air Flow System with K&N Filter || custom mounted trail tech vapor || Modified air box lid
DMC Afterburner full exhaust || EBC Dirt Racer Clutch Kit w/Cuervo Racing springs || PC3
Rear 22" Kenda Kutter XC tires || Rear 22" ITP Sand Star tires

Dyno Tuned by Cuervo Racing @ 53.82rwhp & 44tq
post #3 of 7 Old 07-12-2011, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Its dried now and I ended up slowly picking the pieces out. Even without oil the little pieces like to stick to that yellow foam. Gonna be real careful not to do that again

Big Gun EVO r Exhaust

00' CR250rintintin

Last edited by Rith; 07-12-2011 at 10:30 AM.

post #4 of 7 Old 07-14-2011, 10:43 AM
Sid

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Rith,
Have you tried PJ1 Foam Filter Treatment Spray and PJ1 Foam Filter Cleaner Spray? After cleaning out all that problem sand you were talking about a simple dousing with the "Treatment Spray" will protect the engine. The beauty of this product is that it is water soluble. To clean the filter next time just spray with the "Cleaner" and wait for about 15 minutes then just wash with water. Everything cleans up great. (Note: Washing those foam filters with gasoline will eventually destroy the material.) I keep a second clean filter around so I can just take off the dirty one, clean the metal insert, replace it and go riding. I clean the dirty one later. Just a thought.
Sid
post #5 of 7 Old 07-14-2011, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid View Post
Rith,
Have you tried PJ1 Foam Filter Treatment Spray and PJ1 Foam Filter Cleaner Spray? After cleaning out all that problem sand you were talking about a simple dousing with the "Treatment Spray" will protect the engine. The beauty of this product is that it is water soluble. To clean the filter next time just spray with the "Cleaner" and wait for about 15 minutes then just wash with water. Everything cleans up great. (Note: Washing those foam filters with gasoline will eventually destroy the material.) I keep a second clean filter around so I can just take off the dirty one, clean the metal insert, replace it and go riding. I clean the dirty one later. Just a thought.
Sid
Is the 'Treatment Spray' just foam filter oil? I am using the Uni filter oil and Uni filter cleaner. I think its similar but could be wrong. I didn't know gas was bad for the foam, someone else told me it was good for cleaning them. I'll stop using gas, the Uni cleaner seemed to clean it better anyways

My biggest issue was while cleaning it I hadn't taken pre-cautions while rubbing the cleaner into it to not let the sand on the outside get on the inside. Last ride was pretty windy and sandy and a lot of sand made it in the airbox, and collected at the bottom of the filter. I also got a little impatient trying to clean it out, the sand won't budge while wet but when dry it fell out easy enough

I honestly am not a big fan of Uni's 700xx filters design. On my dirt bike I have a uni filter too, and the yellow foam part is detachable. Ah well

Big Gun EVO r Exhaust

00' CR250rintintin
post #6 of 7 Old 07-14-2011, 06:14 PM

I use PJ1 Cleaner and oil on my UNI like Sid said. I have zero problems and do most of my riding in the sand. Product works excellent!!
post #7 of 7 Old 07-14-2011, 08:30 PM
Sid

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Rith,
To answer your question, yes, the PJ1 Treatment Spray is only for foam air cleaners. I am not sure what to use on the paper. I would think you just replace that type.
If you are concerned about the air cleaner that you tried to clean and found sand inside, replace it. They are expensive but I think that the old saying “an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure” applies here. Start all over, just make sure the metal insert is thoroughly clean before installing it into the new air cleaner. I am sorry but I do not have any experience with the Uni Products.
Sid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode