User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 03-12-2009, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Velocity Filters and Dirt

Guys,

I found an interesting set of pictures from another forum and thought I would share with you as far as Velocity Filters and dirt passing through them.

I'm sure that this isn't Velocity specific, and I don't have any information regarding the 700xx, but I thought I would share.

Also, I'm not bashing any brands here, but merely passing on the information. check your intake plenums:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-12-2009, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Gee, I feel so much better about my Velocity purchase now!!
post #3 of 12 Old 03-12-2009, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

post #4 of 12 Old 03-12-2009, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Been down this road before.....

I will not use a paper and gause filters like the Velocity and K&N; they do have a slight advantage with flow but do not filter as well as the foam.

The other thing I don't like about the Velocity/K&N is that they do not have a inner frame like the foam because they are stiff enough to stay where they are without it. This is OK for a while but they do loose their stiffness and start to collapse in on themselves under load. This allows fine particles through and can also allow the filter material to break off and be sucked in to the engine........see pic below.

That thing that looks like someone has scraped a screwdriver accross it is off a Raptor that had a collapsing filter......its a Velocity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img0005h.jpg (82.6 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by OzLinc; 03-12-2009 at 09:33 PM.
post #5 of 12 Old 03-13-2009, 06:41 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to smo0oth1
Upkeep is very important on these type's of filters to prevent this. I'll admit that they may not catch as much as a foam but these pics are of neglect and not poor filter design
post #6 of 12 Old 03-13-2009, 09:09 AM

I'd have to agree with Smooth. It is not that hard to clean your filter before/after riding. I would understand that if you drive it everyday that it would get to be a hassle to clean it daily, but just like everything else if maintenance is kept up, you shouldn't have a problem like this.
post #7 of 12 Old 03-13-2009, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

I have a foam UNI and clean it after every ride. I ride like 8 hours every three weeks so it's not a hassle. I also have two stock filters clean, oiled and on standby if it's a ride over a whole weekend.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #8 of 12 Old 03-13-2009, 10:27 AM

I had a K&N on my Raptor and it did just fine. I checked the inside of my intake regularly and never noticed any dirt. There is a fine line in the amount of oil that you put on the filter as well. I think I probably over oil mine, but better safe than sorry I guess. The one thing I DON'T like about my Velocity is that it does not mount up very tight and you really have to crank down the clamp on it to get it snug.
post #9 of 12 Old 03-13-2009, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

To me, that's the most important thing about quads is how well you maintain them. My 400EX sure could take some abuse though...wow.

post #10 of 12 Old 03-15-2009, 07:00 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to smo0oth1
Quote:
Originally Posted by xx-rated View Post
I had a K&N on my Raptor and it did just fine. I checked the inside of my intake regularly and never noticed any dirt. There is a fine line in the amount of oil that you put on the filter as well. I think I probably over oil mine, but better safe than sorry I guess. The one thing I DON'T like about my Velocity is that it does not mount up very tight and you really have to crank down the clamp on it to get it snug.

Which mount kit do you have? Mine came with a collar that slipped in the air box soft pipe to keep it from collapsing and works great. I had seen on a old post somewhere someone had a different setup, they may have revised it after your purchase.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode