Power Commander in high altitude environment - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 03-15-2009, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Power Commander in high altitude environment

Hi All, I'm a new user and just discovered this forum. The members here are very smart and I am hoping can help me make a smart decision. I ride my 700XX in the mountains of Colorado ranging from about 6500 to 12000 feet above sea level. I'm 6'1" and 210 and am looking for as much reliable power as posible. I ride mostly mountain trails in the national forest...lots of rocks, hills, and trees.

I have a modquad intake setup with the K&N. I just ordered a two brothers slip on exhaust which should be here this week. I was going to order a juice box but after reading some of the threads I don't think this is the best investment. I'm now looking to buy the power commander III. I understand Bo has created some great maps for the 700XX. I was just wondering if anyone had experience with the power commander at high altitude. I know the stock computer compensates for differences in altitude, does the power commander? Or does the stock computer still work even with the power commander?

Anyother performance suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm not interested in modifying the airbox due to the amount of water crossings I encounter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 03-15-2009, 10:43 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Welcome home!

The 700XX should automatically adjust for higher altitude environments as well as for warmer/colder temps. (even with the power commander) The power commander merely adjusts the stock "signal" to the injector. I have the same exhaust that you will have arriving at your door soon. You'll love the install time.

Make sure you monitor your plug though while you adjust and play with your Power Commander maps. I had mine running WAY too rich.

With that said, I have not had the chance to run mine at high altitudes yet.

What kind of trails do you normally run? Steep/rocky? If so you'll want to drop to a 13 tooth, just so you don't have to feather the clutch and throttle on the technical stuff. If you don't encounter the technical stuff and have room for the XX to stretch it's legs keep it stock.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #3 of 18 Old 03-15-2009, 10:51 PM

welcome!!! agree with the 13 t sprocket, best mod i've done. i ride steep, rocky, rutted, mud, just about anything u can think of its the greatest quad in the world!!!!!

700XX CRAZY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HMF Ballance slip-on
PCIII w/"BO MAP"
Outerwear Lid Mod (by me)
Trail Tech Riser
Chub Bars
HONDA Bar Pad
RAZR2 Fronts
RAZR Rears
Elephant Ear Hand Guards(LOL)

post #4 of 18 Old 03-15-2009, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input, it's greatly appreciated. I do a lot of very technical rocky climbs and trails. I'm embarrased to admit it...but my wife keeps up with me on a slightly tweaked 400EX. I read the threads on the 13 t sprocket and I think I'll give it a try. It would sure be the cheapest mod to make to the 700XX.

Does anyone know....Does Bo charge for his power commander map he wrote. I saw in some of the threads he says to call or email him. I think I will order my power commander tomorrow...the weather is getting to good around here to wait.
post #5 of 18 Old 03-16-2009, 12:41 PM

I came from a 400EX that a dropped it down a tooth on the front sprocket and it was awesome for it's low-end "grunt" on the technical stuff.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #6 of 18 Old 03-16-2009, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

How does the fewer teeth on the front sprocket effect the top end speed?
post #7 of 18 Old 03-16-2009, 01:30 PM

Honestly I think by only a few MPH. Another forum member and I were doing some GPS runs and he has a 13 tooth sprocket, power commander and slipon and he averaged about 3 mph faster than me when I was stock everything.

Now I have the stock front sprocket two brothers slipon, PCIII, filter and lid and I can tell you that if you're in 5th...you had better know what you're coming up on. I was winding out 3rd and 4th with the front end floating over the woops with no problem.

Lean back, hold on.

post #8 of 18 Old 03-16-2009, 05:21 PM

when i changed mine it was faster. on top end. it doesn't affect it at all u wont be sorry

700XX CRAZY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HMF Ballance slip-on
PCIII w/"BO MAP"
Outerwear Lid Mod (by me)
Trail Tech Riser
Chub Bars
HONDA Bar Pad
RAZR2 Fronts
RAZR Rears
Elephant Ear Hand Guards(LOL)
post #9 of 18 Old 03-16-2009, 07:39 PM

With all the ability to fine tune, I recommend a wideband sensor... You need to be careful.. As with most efi cars, these tuning capabilities have been around for some time. Typically you trust a well know shop (APR, GIAC) that has done EXTENSIVE research and dyno runs. They sell the maps etc..

Be carefull with your timing curves etc.. Spark Plug is a very bad test and not accurate enough...

BOOOOOM!

Not disqualifying anyones capabilities, just those with no experience... Be carefull!
post #10 of 18 Old 03-16-2009, 08:59 PM

With the power commander you don't modify timing curves, just fuel injection amount and when, but not when the spark is introduced..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode