Motor Rebuild - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 09-25-2011, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Motor Rebuild

so i was riding along the atv trails in northern Maine when my brother told me that my quad was smelling like a 2 stroke, because it was burning oil, we only had about 10 miles left to get back to the cabin so i just got their and decided to check out the machine. couldnt see any damage from here but we had to go home because hurricane irene was about to hit our home town. (long island) when i was finally allowed to check out the machine again i still couldnt figure out any problem so i brought it to my a local atv shop and he performed a leak down test on it and said nothin seemed to be wrong the compression was fine. he also told me he didnt have time to fix it. so i decided to bring it to a different shop and have them look at it. meanwhile while this was all happening i was getting ready to leave for hatfield mccoy.(we are leaving this wednesday the 28th) finally i got a call from the shop telling me that i needed to bore nout my quad get a new piston, rings, and all four valves. he told me the problem was because my air filter was dry and fine sand was sucked into the engine and sanding down my cylinder from the inside. when i was riding the quad before all this happened i did not feel a power difference, and wouldnt hav known anything was wrong. wanted to share with you guys and see what you think and always remember to check your air filter, it is now a routine thing for me to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-25-2011, 11:52 AM

That sucks man. Time for cam, higher comp piston, pp the head etc....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MY RIDES

Amish washing the buggy^^^^
post #3 of 6 Old 09-25-2011, 03:34 PM
Sid

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
chrisneitzel,
Sorry about all that expense But and that is a very big But, I am sure, everyone on this forum is almost anal about frequent oil changes, oil filter and air cleaner service. It is the difference between a machine that will last for years without breakdown and; need I say more? I wish you the best for your machine at the lowest cost.
Very Respectfully,
Sid

Last edited by Sid; 09-25-2011 at 07:04 PM.

post #4 of 6 Old 09-25-2011, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Baxter
Youre valves should be ok and you should only need new valve stem seals and a relap.
I would ask a price for the rebore , piston and rings. There maybe cheaper alternatives. IMO.

2008 TT-ReXX , 2003 400ex and 2014 CRF250r.
Products used, abused and loved from:
Ed at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Alex at

Jim at

Kyle at

With out these guys , it would not be as much fun.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-25-2011, 06:40 PM

Forgot to oil my UNI filter when I got it(I knew I was suppose to but I got distracted and thought I had oiled it after) and I had to get new piston, rings, crank, and hone the cylinder. The crank was probably more my fault as I got sick of checking my oil for over a year and it being fine. So I drove a whole winter without checking oil and the whole time I was probably burning oil because when I checked it in the spring it wasn't on the dip stick. My rod got scored due to low oil I would assume and I had to get a complete crank because Honda doesn't sell just the rod.

On a side note I found this site for OEM parts on another forum and the prices are awesome.

http://www.cyclecentralpowersports.com/fiche_select.asp

One final thing for a good laugh, my local Honda dealer wanted $940 for a crank. The site I just listed is only $333 for a crank.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-25-2011, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

I have already had the rebuild finished I just wanted to see what everyones opinions were and if anyone had the same problem. Guess i forgot to add that little bit of info. Woops
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode