How do I lower my gearing? - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 12-23-2011, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How do I lower my gearing?

I ride on tight wooded trails and barely hit 4th gear on my XX, and I never see 5th. So, I'd like more useable power and torque to spin the new 22" ITP tires that are on my quad. What is the easiest way to do this without sacrificing reliability? I definitely don't want the chain to pop off all the time. I have a ALBA Full-System exhaust with intake and PCM 5 w/O2 sensor.
Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-23-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellishot View Post
I ride on tight wooded trails and barely hit 4th gear on my XX, and I never see 5th. So, I'd like more useable power and torque to spin the new 22" ITP tires that are on my quad. What is the easiest way to do this without sacrificing reliability? I definitely don't want the chain to pop off all the time. I have a ALBA Full-System exhaust with intake and PCM 5 w/O2 sensor.
Thanks for your help!
I would go with the 13 tooth front sprocket. It's a quick easy mod that makes the quad way more user friendly in the tight stuff. This was the very first mod I did to mine and it was definitely an improvement over stock.

When in doubt... Punch it!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 12-23-2011, 02:49 PM

Yep go with a 13 tooth front sprocket

HDD BUILT...EVERYONE ELSE IS RACING FOR SECOND
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

08 Black/Red XX - Sparks big core exhaust, FCI custom intake with K&N, Webb 290 cam, White Knuckle 727cc big bore, CP 13:1 piston, Cuervo Racing +2 head, 48mm Lectron carb, MSD ignition, MSD coil 68HP/53TQ FOR SALE

(DL700)
Jody (Boost Addict)

post #4 of 10 Old 12-23-2011, 04:30 PM

The good thing is that it only cost about 25 bucks or less so you can't really go wrong and is probably one of the best mods you can do

08 700XX Black/Gray
01 90 Yerf Dog

Last edited by BuckeyeXX; 12-23-2011 at 04:37 PM.
post #5 of 10 Old 12-23-2011, 06:49 PM

13 might be nice, 12 might be better.

MY RIDES

Amish washing the buggy^^^^
post #6 of 10 Old 12-23-2011, 07:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellishot View Post
Thanks for your help!
I may not fully understand your question here, and definatly not sure on the chain poping off part? Any way heres my thoughts. I dont think theres much you can do if you ride in tight wooded trails and are wanting to be in 4th and 5th gear! I ride simular trails and have the 13th front sproket. Must of the time I stay in 2nd to 3rd gear. And I have stock exhaust. Ive herd those with big 3 dont like the 13th, but for the price give it a try.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/pr...&sizeAttr=1656

#1 2008 Honda Trx700xx HMF Performance Exhaust, PCV, Stroked 710cc, 10.5:1 Wiseco Piston, Frt Elka Stage 4's, Fox Podium X rear's, EHS Lid, L8ton 11/16" sway bar, DG 6 Pack Rack, PRM Desert II Bumper & Front Skids.
#2 2008 Trx700xx AMR Reaper, Ehs Big 3, P/P head, Xcalibur Cam, Hard Welded Rockers, +1 In/Ex Valves, +3 Throttle body, 11:1 CP Piston, Elka Stage 3 Legacy Shocks, L8ton 11/16th Sway Bar, PRM Front Skids, Desert II Bumper & Rear Utility Rack.

post #7 of 10 Old 12-23-2011, 07:00 PM

ive tried a 12 tooth and I ended up shifting wayyy too much. But then again, its easy enough to swap them out so you might as well try it, you might like it.
post #8 of 10 Old 12-23-2011, 07:06 PM

If you shift to much buy an auto

MY RIDES

Amish washing the buggy^^^^
post #9 of 10 Old 12-23-2011, 08:09 PM

or get it geared right
post #10 of 10 Old 12-23-2011, 10:04 PM

The guys with the extra power (big 3 or more) don't have gearing problems in the tight trails, it is a turning problem. You may want to check into the sway bar or replacement upper a arms. Check out the sponsor section at the top of the forum. Ed or Kyle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode