General question: Revving the XX hard daily - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 01-07-2012, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
General question: Revving the XX hard daily

I know this may be a dumb ?, but, from experience, how does the XX take to being revved hard to the limiter daily, staying near redline constantly? I ride this thing harder than my CRF450. I know Hondas are generally bulletproof, as I have revved my S2000 to 9,250 rpm every day since I bought it new. Just curious how the XX will hold up to this kind of "abuse". (Taking in to account regular maintenance, oil changes, air filters, etc., of course)

Thanks all

Last edited by S2K_Driver; 01-07-2012 at 07:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-07-2012, 08:13 PM

Where do you ride to be able to hold it in the higher Rpms. My experience has been bigger motors don't like high rpms, they are made to use the torque in the mid rpms. I would do it but I have really no experience in revving them that high.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MY RIDES

Amish washing the buggy^^^^
post #3 of 16 Old 01-07-2012, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

I have over 200 acres of riding area around my house. About half of it is tight, rough trails, and the other half is long, straight fire roads, some of them long enough to wind out 5th gear. I generally stay in 2nd in the trails and just rev it out when I need to accelerate, very seldom ever going to 3rd. I keep the RPMs up due to the fact that this thing, like my S, has very little low end torque, and keeping it boiling keeps it responsive when I need to GO, and it just seems to pull and pull and pull, never seeming to fall flat. Its hard to hit the limiter! Just hoping that Honda designed this engine for high rev assault, otherwise I'll be doing a top end build sooner than later, which I don't want...

post #4 of 16 Old 01-07-2012, 10:05 PM

I rev mine pretty hard but its not constant. I don't know how hard any motor can take a constant rev.

Pro Armor Fatpeg Nerfs
Pro Armor Skidplate
Razr 2's all around
Dynojet PCV
Curtis Sparks X6 Exhaust
PRM Desert II Bumper
CP 11:1 piston
WEBB 290 Cam
Ported +1 head by Bo White
HDD +3 Throttle Body

Loud Pipes Save Lives
post #5 of 16 Old 01-07-2012, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

I've held my S2000 above 8,000 for hours at a time during hard mountain road driving and never had even a hiccup out of it. And I'm at 112k miles now. The car was designed to have the piss revved out of it, as it makes it's peak 243bhp at 8,400 rpm. I'm just trying to get info from someone who has had the XX for a while and has ran the he'll out of it daily, and what may or may not have happened because of it. If it's like all the other Hondas I've owned, it'll be fine. Hoping someone else can comment on this so I don't have to find out the hard way if it can't take it...
post #6 of 16 Old 01-07-2012, 10:39 PM

When I ride mine its hard and fast and I've had mine for two years now no problems.

Pro Armor Fatpeg Nerfs
Pro Armor Skidplate
Razr 2's all around
Dynojet PCV
Curtis Sparks X6 Exhaust
PRM Desert II Bumper
CP 11:1 piston
WEBB 290 Cam
Ported +1 head by Bo White
HDD +3 Throttle Body

Loud Pipes Save Lives
post #7 of 16 Old 01-07-2012, 10:55 PM

I ride mine hard and rev it high every time I get on it. It has held together for me. honda motors are known to take a beating but over time it will give out on you just like any motor. I expect mine to need a rebuild in a few years and I think you should expect the same.
post #8 of 16 Old 01-07-2012, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies guys. I hope it wont need a rebuild for at least 5 years or more lol. I had a 1990 250X that had God knows how many hours on it and it lasted 10 years before it was sold and still didn't use a drop of oil, tick or smoke, and never even had a valve adjustment!!!! That's Honda reliability at it's finest. I bet it's still running to this day if it hasnt been wrecked or stolen, and even if, it probably still starts and runs.
post #9 of 16 Old 01-11-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2K_Driver View Post
I keep the RPMs up due to the fact that this thing, like my S, has very little low end torque...
Excuse me!? Has little low end torque!? Are you sure you're on a 700xx?! Go look at the back, is the IRS there!?!? I could see you saying that on a YZF450 or banshee or something.... but are you serious!?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Honda TRX700XX | 13t Sprocket | HID Headlights | Steering Dampner | ITP Baja Fronts / ITP Pro's Rear | Maxxis RAZR2's all the way around!
post #10 of 16 Old 01-11-2012, 09:46 PM

From my experiences, big motors dont like rpms. Lot of stress on rotating assembly because everything is heavier. The piston in the xx engine is probably bigger than the one from your "S". These things have great low end, especially after a programmer.

MY RIDES

Amish washing the buggy^^^^
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode