How much of the motor has to come off to replace a cam chain? - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 02-18-2012, 02:01 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How much of the motor has to come off to replace a cam chain?

Very simple. How much of the motor has to come off to replace a cam chain?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Honda TRX700XX | 13t Sprocket | HID Headlights | Steering Dampner | ITP Baja Fronts / ITP Pro's Rear | Maxxis RAZR2's all the way around!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 02-18-2012, 06:54 AM

I could be wrong, but I believe you need to take the head, cylinder off then split the case.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MY RIDES

Amish washing the buggy^^^^
post #3 of 19 Old 02-18-2012, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by traitor08 View Post
I could be wrong, but I believe you need to take the head, cylinder off then split the case.
Shouldn't be near that involved. Just by looking at the manual and my own torn down quad, I would say just the cylinder head cover and the clutch side (right) engine cover. Cylinder head cover should get you to the cam to get the top of the cam chain, the removing the right side cover should get you to the lower part of the cam chain. Should then just be a matter or pulling the old chain out of the motor and snaking the new one in. Of course, that is the simplified version, would need to do a bunch of little stuff, drain oil, remove cam chain tensioner, etc. Of course, haven't done it myself yet, so maybe it is harder then I am thinking.

Doug

2004 TRX450R, 2008 TRX700XX
(BITD #639 Quad Ironman Expert)

2015 sponsors: Teixeiratech.com, Motowoz.com, Snailmotorsports.com, My bank account.

2008 TRX700XX
2005 TRX450R
1986 TRX250R

post #4 of 19 Old 02-18-2012, 08:33 PM

I am 99% sure you have to split the cases.

The best in the business

High Desert Dyno/Cuervo Racing

Bo White 205-886-7043
Ed @

Chris & Mike
post #5 of 19 Old 02-18-2012, 10:57 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Was out in the garage a little bit ago and happened to take a peak at my 700XX. (Currently everything from the cylinder up is off of it.) Cam chain does not even go into the center cases, it is out side of them, so no reason to split the cases. Just need to remove the right side engine cover and you will have full access to the lower portion of the cam chain. Only problem is, after looking at it, I don't think you can get that right side cover off with the motor in the frame, it is pretty close to the frame rail itself, at a minimum have to pull all the motor mount bolts and anything else holding the motor in place (intake, rad hoses, etc.) so you can shift the entire motor some to get room to pull that cover. Not really difficult to do, but would for sure take some time.

Doug

2004 TRX450R, 2008 TRX700XX
(BITD #639 Quad Ironman Expert)

2015 sponsors: Teixeiratech.com, Motowoz.com, Snailmotorsports.com, My bank account.

2008 TRX700XX
2005 TRX450R
1986 TRX250R
post #6 of 19 Old 02-20-2012, 04:16 PM

Doug...You are correct. Just the right side has to come off. I stopped by my shop at lunch and looked at it again(head & cylinder is off). Sorry for the confusion

The best in the business

Bo White 205-886-7043
Ed @

Chris & Mike
post #7 of 19 Old 02-20-2012, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

If I don't have to split the case, I think I can do this. There's a motor on ebay for $1500, I wonder if i'd be better off swapping it in and just building my current one up

2008 Honda TRX700XX | 13t Sprocket | HID Headlights | Steering Dampner | ITP Baja Fronts / ITP Pro's Rear | Maxxis RAZR2's all the way around!
post #8 of 19 Old 02-20-2012, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

I literally just walked out to the garage to see the right side only to find no quad in my garage. Guess I forgot it's at the dealer right now. Doh!

post #9 of 19 Old 02-20-2012, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Baxter
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5W0P3 View Post
I literally just walked out to the garage to see the right side only to find no quad in my garage. Guess I forgot it's at the dealer right now. Doh!
Very funny !

2008 TT-ReXX , 2003 400ex and 2014 CRF250r.
Products used, abused and loved from:
Ed at

Alex at

Jim at

Kyle at

With out these guys , it would not be as much fun.
post #10 of 19 Old 02-20-2012, 04:42 PM

I never have had to replace mine. Both are still tight and look good!

The best in the business

Bo White 205-886-7043
Ed @

Chris & Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode