BOLT FROM HELL (with pic) - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 02-21-2012, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
headscratch BOLT FROM HELL (with pic)

Damnit, I stripped out this bolt trying to get the plastics off. This was my first attempt at doing so and I got the front shrowd off with no issue. Then I get to this bolt and it just wont turn and eventually strips bad. I go to Lowes and pick up a screw extractor and it fails miserably. This bolt has eaten 3 bits already, are these made of hardened steel or what?

What I find really odd is the same bolt on the opposite side feels loose with the bit in as well. It wont turn easily either but I dont want to push it. Is there some special bit I should be using? The one pictured is obviously beyond repair. I just need it out, any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-21-2012, 06:54 PM

I never got one of the allen bolts stuck but I cross threaded a hex bolt that holds plastic up by the air box area and I drilled it out with a dewalt drill and titanium bit. Use imperial bits to unscrew them in the future as these are made in japan and do not use metric bolts. Which is no problem for me anyways because I live in Canada and we use imperial too :P

Last edited by 240; 02-21-2012 at 06:56 PM.
post #3 of 13 Old 02-21-2012, 07:12 PM

if the easy outs wont work you can use an angle grinder with a thin cut off wheel to cut a slot in the bolt. you can then use a LARGE screwdriver to turn it out. Keep some water or soaked towel handy to keep bolt cool as grinder will heat it up hot enough to melt the plastic. You will probably need to turn screwdriver with vice grips.

post #4 of 13 Old 02-21-2012, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerv View Post
Use imperial bits to unscrew them in the future as these are made in japan and do not use metric bolts. Which is no problem for me anyways because I live in Canada and we use imperial too :P
Is there one specific bit that does all the plastics? Or is there a set I need? I want to order some but am not 100% on what I need.

ThX for the advice everyone!
post #5 of 13 Old 02-21-2012, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWG700XX View Post
if the easy outs wont work you can use an angle grinder with a thin cut off wheel to cut a slot in the bolt. you can then use a LARGE screwdriver to turn it out. Keep some water or soaked towel handy to keep bolt cool as grinder will heat it up hot enough to melt the plastic. You will probably need to turn screwdriver with vice grips.

This will be my next step, thank you.
post #6 of 13 Old 02-22-2012, 12:32 AM

I'm pretty sure all the allen bolts that hold plastics are the same size I don't recall having to change bits. I would use an allen key or socket wrench allen bit to loosen and tighten as a drill will strip bolts a lot quicker. Not sure if you used a drill or wrench is why I mention that just in case lol.
post #7 of 13 Old 02-22-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWG700XX View Post
Or use a dremel. I had that same thing happen to that SAME bolt when I did my cam change. It's a bitch. I got the plastic off around it and then used vice grips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerv View Post
I'm pretty sure all the allen bolts that hold plastics are the same size I don't recall having to change bits.
I actually found two different size hex heads on mine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Honda TRX700XX | 13t Sprocket | HID Headlights | Steering Dampner | ITP Baja Fronts / ITP Pro's Rear | Maxxis RAZR2's all the way around!
post #8 of 13 Old 02-22-2012, 12:01 PM
Sid

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I had the same experience with that rear screw on the air cleaner. It had to be Dremeled off. I think the factory used Loctite (Red) on it.
Sid
post #9 of 13 Old 02-22-2012, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Well the dremeling of a slot in the bolt head worked. I just used a large flathead and some muscle and it broke free. The bolt sounded like it snapped when it broke loose but ended up being fine. I had to do the same for the same bolt on the opposite side. Neither bolt showed any evidence of loc-tite or ever being unscrewed before. The factory really torques their crap down.

TY KWG700XX for the fantastic advice. Hopefully if another member has this issue in the future they can find this thread helpful.

PS; Anyone know where I can order factory replacement bolts from?

Last edited by stage2; 02-22-2012 at 06:46 PM.
post #10 of 13 Old 02-22-2012, 06:37 PM

Honda shop is where i get mine when i loose one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode