Fuel controller mishap, what to do now? - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 02-22-2012, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question Fuel controller mishap, what to do now?

So I ordered my LEXX slip on and LEXX EFI controller from two different places. Both parts came in today, the pipe was perfect. However the EFI controller wasnt the LEXX controller that was listed. They actually sent me a DMC EFI controller. Now this has me upset because I believe the Lexx controller has pre-sets for their slip-on. However the odd thing is that the Lexx controllers are around $170 whereas this DMC one is $240. Not sure if I should keep what they sent and just try and tune to the new pipe or should I send it back and get the correct LEXX controller that I ordered?

This is the unit they sent;
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-22-2012, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
As with most dobek style efi controllers that have a muffler brand name, they usually come with pre-set setting for THEIR brand of muffler. Most are the very same controller unit with just a different brand sticker on them... DCM, LEXX, EHS, FMF, etc. Since they are actually the same unit under the brand name sticker, you could set it for your Lexx slip on... IF you know what the settings should be. I don't understand why there'd be such a difference in price. Did you actually pay the higher price? If you did, I'd tell them , send it back and demand the controller you ordered and a refund of the difference in price. JMO

roadkill

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
"You lock the door and throw away the key. There's someone in my head, but it's not me."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
R. Waters
x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

post #3 of 9 Old 02-22-2012, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

I paid the cheaper price for the Lexx and got the more expensive DMC. Im still lost though. Keep in mind I have never used one of these controllers so im a noob. I keep hearing about all these pre-programmed units but cant find anywhere in the instructions about anyhting being pre-programmed. Heck the instructions just tell you how to make adjustments, not what you should be doing while making said adjustments. I have been reading through the forums and cant find a clear explanation. I know this sets the fuel amongst other things but this makes me nervous. I have a forced induction mustang background and I know when you use a controller for the car you need a dyno with real time Air/Fuel ratio readings. How is one supposed to use these without any real time data? Again any help would be much appreciated!

post #4 of 9 Old 02-22-2012, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

I wrote DMC and got this reply;

"Yes, you should be able to plug our EFI in and it will be very close on the jetting. You might have to tune it just a little bit. If you feel that you need help, you could ask your local dealer to help you get it perfect. The Lexx model EFI is not programmed at all. And you would really have trouble tuning that one. As with ours it is already mapped for your machine.

Thank you for inquiring,
DMC Exhaust"
post #5 of 9 Old 02-22-2012, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stage2 View Post
I wrote DMC and got this reply;

"Yes, you should be able to plug our EFI in and it will be very close on the jetting. You might have to tune it just a little bit. If you feel that you need help, you could ask your local dealer to help you get it perfect. The Lexx model EFI is not programmed at all. And you would really have trouble tuning that one. As with ours it is already mapped for your machine.

Thank you for inquiring,
DMC Exhaust"
OK, they're telling you that it's mapped for your machine, but NOT for your exhaust... it's mapped for theirs. Yes, it should be very close. You may need to tweak it a bit, but it's not as hard as it sounds. You would only need to tweak 3 of the 6 settings... The GREEN, YELLOW and RED... up or down .5 at a time. Check how it runs AND check plug to see if it's rich or lean between tweaks and adjust from there. Go up or down on setting for ALL 3... up .5 on the 3 settings or down .5 on the 3 settings... example below..

Starting settings:
GREEN: 3.5
YELLOW: 3.5
RED: 3

Down by .5 would be...
GREEN: 3
YELLOW: 3
RED: 2.5

roadkill

"You lock the door and throw away the key. There's someone in my head, but it's not me."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
R. Waters

Last edited by roadkill; 02-22-2012 at 01:10 PM.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-22-2012, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

I get what youre saying but this still has me dumbfounded. If I tuned my car with no dyno and no A/F reading I would be asking for trouble. And then to go on to say to check your plug to see how the tune is doing? This just sounds looney to me, again im from a car background. So basically I just have to hope this is close to safe and tune on the fly. Damn I wish HMF would let people pay to use their dyno as there are no other options in northeastern Ohio...
post #7 of 9 Old 02-22-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
As with most dobek style efi controllers that have a muffler brand name, they usually come with pre-set setting for THEIR brand of muffler. Most are the very same controller unit with just a different brand sticker on them... DCM, LEXX, EHS, FMF, etc. Since they are actually the same unit under the brand name sticker, you could set it for your Lexx slip on... IF you know what the settings should be. I don't understand why there'd be such a difference in price. Did you actually pay the higher price? If you did, I'd tell them , send it back and demand the controller you ordered and a refund of the difference in price. JMO

roadkill
you should be able to make it work

but all the units are not the same physically yes but functionally no the settings have nothing to do with the map, the map is base code designed to control the injector and that is whats different the settings on the efi modify the base code but the base code will be different per brand. (some or a lot of them use them same base code but not all them)

post #8 of 9 Old 02-22-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stage2 View Post
I get what youre saying but this still has me dumbfounded. If I tuned my car with no dyno and no A/F reading I would be asking for trouble. And then to go on to say to check your plug to see how the tune is doing? This just sounds looney to me, again im from a car background. So basically I just have to hope this is close to safe and tune on the fly. Damn I wish HMF would let people pay to use their dyno as there are no other options in northeastern Ohio...
Here is a list of all the dynojet atv tuning centers in Ohio. See if there is one closer to you

http://www.dynojet.com/dyno_centers/....aspx?state=OH

The best in the business

High Desert Dyno/Cuervo Racing

Bo White 205-886-7043
Ed @

Chris & Mike
post #9 of 9 Old 02-22-2012, 03:09 PM

Garage
The instructions for my Lexx controller give the numbers for lexx muffler with quiet core insert in & removed. I'll see if I can post them up when I get home.(it's 8am here atm).
"The Lexx model EFI is not programmed at all."
That's a crock, it clearly states in the Lexx instructions that it is setup default with the quiet core map. Sorry you got jerked around, I'm really happy with both products.

edit-
Here ya go.

Happy trails..........
Priesty.

2008 700xx,
LTR front shocks, ccp damper, Fasst flexx bars, 13t front cog, Lexx slip-on & controller, K&N filter, L8ton 9/16" swaybar, Pro armor nerfs & skids, Texiera front upper arms, IMS tank, Maier plastics (Red), HCC custom seat cover.

My Flickr sets:

Last edited by priesty; 02-23-2012 at 02:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode