User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 Old 02-26-2012, 10:45 PM
Sid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
fhibbs12,
Just apply the oil in an even fashion. If you think you over oiled it just squeeze it do not wring the foam or it might tear. After that you should be ok. Usually if it is over oiled the excess will end up in the bottom of the filter housing (a mess to clean up). Just take your time and try to oil it lightly and evenly as you can. As I mentioned in my earlier post, kneed it in gently.
Don't forget the inside of the filter.
Sid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 02-26-2012, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfdanie2 View Post
I used dawn dish detergent to clean my foam filters, and it works great since dawn cuts grease so well. Let it dry then apply some silkolene foam filter oil, that is tacky after it cures. Been doing this for a long time and never had any problems.

As tacky as that oil is, I'm surprised dawn would work. Not saying I don't believe it will though. That powder no toil stuff looks like its the shit. But man dude's filter in video was almost solid black!

#1 2008 Honda Trx700xx HMF Performance Exhaust, PCV, Stroked 710cc, 10.5:1 Wiseco Piston, Frt Elka Stage 4's, Fox Podium X rear's, EHS Lid, L8ton 11/16" sway bar, DG 6 Pack Rack, PRM Desert II Bumper & Front Skids.
#2 2008 Trx700xx AMR Reaper, Ehs Big 3, P/P head, Xcalibur Cam, Hard Welded Rockers, +1 In/Ex Valves, +3 Throttle body, 11:1 CP Piston, Elka Stage 3 Legacy Shocks, L8ton 11/16th Sway Bar, PRM Front Skids, Desert II Bumper & Rear Utility Rack.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 18 Old 02-27-2012, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Quick View Post
cleaning air filter.
1. Buy to 10 litre buckets with lids you can seal.
2. Fill each one with 5 liters of Turps or Kero. (I like Turps)
3. Have one as the first clean, then the second one for the final clean
4. I then rinse the filters out in soapy water then rinse with clean water.
5. Hang on line to dry.
6. Oil filter
^^^^^^^I found this method listed above in another thread. ^^^^^^^^^^

After trying this method above for filter cleaning. I am wondering if the filter will still have the smell of the cleaner after several rinses? And if it does is that okay? Cause I cant seam to get the kerosene smell out of my filter. Thanks for any help.
I wouldn't worry about the smell. I have always used gas, which leaves a strong smell,and never had any problems. I am not saying for you to use gas, just saying the smell will not be an issue. You end up covering it in oil, so what little solvent left is diluted and the flash point is nearly that of the pure filter oil.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
KASH 2011

post #14 of 18 Old 02-27-2012, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Kerosene or parrafin is just aviation fuel and not the easiest to ignite...
I wouldnt worry about it personally as you can stub a cigarette out in it,along with diesel without ignition..
I use washing up liquid, a detergent , rinse and hang up to dry..
when dry put it in a plastic bag along with your filter oil and scrunch up..
You get a nicely oiled filter but do not get covered in the stuff!
post #15 of 18 Old 02-27-2012, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks guys, I did finally get it to smell like simple green after a couple more washes the 2nd time around. And I use the plastic bag trick as well as gloves. So far I've just been buying filters and oiling them. This year had to break down a clean them. I know a lot recommended more than one filter so I bought them as needed till this year.

#1 2008 Honda Trx700xx HMF Performance Exhaust, PCV, Stroked 710cc, 10.5:1 Wiseco Piston, Frt Elka Stage 4's, Fox Podium X rear's, EHS Lid, L8ton 11/16" sway bar, DG 6 Pack Rack, PRM Desert II Bumper & Front Skids.
#2 2008 Trx700xx AMR Reaper, Ehs Big 3, P/P head, Xcalibur Cam, Hard Welded Rockers, +1 In/Ex Valves, +3 Throttle body, 11:1 CP Piston, Elka Stage 3 Legacy Shocks, L8ton 11/16th Sway Bar, PRM Front Skids, Desert II Bumper & Rear Utility Rack.

post #16 of 18 Old 02-27-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Quick View Post
As tacky as that oil is, I'm surprised dawn would work. Not saying I don't believe it will though. That powder no toil stuff looks like its the shit. But man dude's filter in video was almost solid black!
You would be surprised at what dawn and a sink full of hot water can achieve.

Pro Armor Fatpeg Nerfs
Pro Armor Skidplate
Razr 2's all around
Dynojet PCV
Curtis Sparks X6 Exhaust
PRM Desert II Bumper
CP 11:1 piston
WEBB 290 Cam
Ported +1 head by Bo White
HDD +3 Throttle Body

Loud Pipes Save Lives
post #17 of 18 Old 10-30-2013, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Been using the 2 bucket method with a couple filters. So far filter still is in good shape, even thou the Uni stamp is hardly visible on this one. IDK why because the other one is fine and I clean them the same. I'm thinking of using e85, to clean them with next time. I was getting quad ready for West Virginia, and checked filter. It only had one ride on it from 10/20/13 at Wayne National Forest. We rode 45 miles, and look at the filter! Looks as if I just changed it, that's how perfect the trails were that day. Not to muddy, little to no dust, and hardly any traffic on that Sunday!

post #18 of 18 Old 10-31-2013, 08:31 PM

I clean with dawn also. I keep two filters for each machine. One in it and one cleaned and re-oiled for the next time. I clean in a shop sink in hot water and dawn. wash let dry overnight and re-oil in a ziploc bag. freezer bags are the strongest and don't tear easily. my oiling method is simple. spray a light coat then put in bag and knead. don't wring. add another coat of oil if needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode