LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 02-25-2012, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Garage
Air filter cleaning

cleaning air filter.
1. Buy to 10 litre buckets with lids you can seal.
2. Fill each one with 5 liters of Turps or Kero. (I like Turps)
3. Have one as the first clean, then the second one for the final clean
4. I then rinse the filters out in soapy water then rinse with clean water.
5. Hang on line to dry.
6. Oil filter
^^^^^^^I found this method listed above in another thread. ^^^^^^^^^^

After trying this method above for filter cleaning. I am wondering if the filter will still have the smell of the cleaner after several rinses? And if it does is that okay? Cause I cant seam to get the kerosene smell out of my filter. Thanks for any help.

#1 2008 Honda Trx700xx HMF Performance Exhaust, PCV, Stroked 710cc, 10.5:1 Wiseco Piston, Frt Elka Stage 4's, Fox Podium X rear's, EHS Lid, L8ton 11/16" sway bar, DG 6 Pack Rack, PRM Desert II Bumper & Front Skids.
#2 2008 Trx700xx AMR Reaper, Ehs Big 3, P/P head, Xcalibur Cam, Hard Welded Rockers, +1 In/Ex Valves, +3 Throttle body, 11:1 CP Piston, Elka Stage 3 Legacy Shocks, L8ton 11/16th Sway Bar, PRM Front Skids, Desert II Bumper & Rear Utility Rack.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-25-2012, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I cleaned my filters yesterday, and let them dry over night. Went out to oil them today and they still smelled highly flammable. So I rinsed them a few more times and let dry. Still had strong odor. So I re washed them 2 more times with simple green. And rinsed thoroughly. Still I smell kerosene. I think next time I will try the filter cleaner. This seams like its way to hard, and time consuming. For those of you that have more than one filter for your quad, do you clean them all at one time, and just oil them before installing? Probably a dumb question, but had to ask. I sure don't have anywhere to store a oiled filter except for in my air box, lol

#1 2008 Honda Trx700xx HMF Performance Exhaust, PCV, Stroked 710cc, 10.5:1 Wiseco Piston, Frt Elka Stage 4's, Fox Podium X rear's, EHS Lid, L8ton 11/16" sway bar, DG 6 Pack Rack, PRM Desert II Bumper & Front Skids.
#2 2008 Trx700xx AMR Reaper, Ehs Big 3, P/P head, Xcalibur Cam, Hard Welded Rockers, +1 In/Ex Valves, +3 Throttle body, 11:1 CP Piston, Elka Stage 3 Legacy Shocks, L8ton 11/16th Sway Bar, PRM Front Skids, Desert II Bumper & Rear Utility Rack.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 Old 02-25-2012, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been using No-toil air filter oil and cleaner for years on my dirt bikes and now the TRX. Its so easy to use, no flammable solvents. I store my cleaned and oiled spare filters in a plastic bag

http://notoil.com/how-to-videos.html

When in doubt... Punch it!!!

post #4 of 18 Old 02-25-2012, 06:36 PM

What I like to do is keep one fresh oiled filter ready to go. When I get done riding I'll clean the machine replace the dirty filter with the clean one and clean the dirty one when I get a chance to, let it dry and re-oil it. No Toil is so easy you can clean your filter in your kitchen sink.

post #5 of 18 Old 02-25-2012, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I will try that out next time for sure. I seen the video with the washing machine. My wife woud kick my ass for sure, but I may get away with the sink IDK maybe not.

And I guess I could store 2nd oiled filter in a bag, up in the garage rafters. Thanks for idea, still wondering about kerosene odor.

Last edited by M_Quick; 02-25-2012 at 06:42 PM.
post #6 of 18 Old 02-25-2012, 06:46 PM

I actually just use a bucket for cleaning and rinse the soap out in the sink. No need to get the wife in an uproar...

Hmmm... Maybe wait till she's out to clean your filters? Ha ha ha...

Also I've used mineral spirits to clean filters with regular filter oil in the past. Not as dangerous as kerosene...

Just be sure to really get all the old oils and solvents out of the filters before you swith to the notoil. Might just be easier to get some new filters from rockymountain. They're cheap enough...

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...led-Air-Filter

post #7 of 18 Old 02-26-2012, 10:50 AM
Sid

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
M_Quick,
I recommend against using turpentine or kerosene on the foam filters. The reason being is that these chemicals will destroy the filter in short order. If you notice the commercially prepared foam and fabric air cleaner solvents specifically state "Will not harm filters glues". Products, such as PJ1 Air Cleaner are water soluble and are very effective. The follow-on treatment is PJ1 Foam Filter Treatment Spray. Each item is between 8-10 Dollars. They can be purchased at any motorcycle shop along with other brands that work as well. The filter treatment comes in two types, one is the "Super Tacky" the other is the "Regular". I prefer the former because it really cleans the incoming air. It is also water soluble so cleaning is simple. If using the PJ1 Treatment, I suggest spraying the cleaned and dried foam and, using disposable plastic gloves (Dollar Tree 100 for $1.00), to then gently kneed the treatment to distribute it throughout the air cleaner. Get the air cleaner on the metal frame before removing the gloves to prevent getting it everywhere. Hope this helps.
Sid
post #8 of 18 Old 02-26-2012, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Does help thanks, and after viewing all the youtube video's on this. My filters were no where near dirty! I always hear them say not to use gasoline, not really specific on kerosene or turpentine. I do know the kerosene cuts right through the pj1 oil I use. But takes for ever to get the kerosene smell out of the filter. And the price of kerosene now I think it would of been cheaper getting the foam cleaner you mentioned or the no-toil stuff Mcb71 uses.

post #9 of 18 Old 02-26-2012, 04:02 PM

I used dawn dish detergent to clean my foam filters, and it works great since dawn cuts grease so well. Let it dry then apply some silkolene foam filter oil, that is tacky after it cures. Been doing this for a long time and never had any problems.

Pro Armor Fatpeg Nerfs
Pro Armor Skidplate
Razr 2's all around
Dynojet PCV
Curtis Sparks X6 Exhaust
PRM Desert II Bumper
CP 11:1 piston
WEBB 290 Cam
Ported +1 head by Bo White
HDD +3 Throttle Body

Loud Pipes Save Lives
post #10 of 18 Old 02-26-2012, 07:08 PM

How to tell if your filter is over oiled?

I imagine that will restrict airflow and no one really covered it :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode