loud clutch - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 04-08-2012, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
loud clutch

just picked up a used 09 yesterday, very low hours on it, previous owner said he just did an oil change, first ride out with it last night and the clutch slips a little. so im thinking maybe he used full synthetic, either way ill be doing an oil change this week on it, this morning i noticed that in neutral idling the clutch is making a little racket, pull the clutch in and it goes away, is this a normal noise for the xx or should i pull the cover and have a look?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-08-2012, 09:39 AM

It sounds like the clutch needs adjusted to me. Try adjusting it and put some good quality oil made for wet clutches and see what happens. Full synthetic oil is great as long as it is made for wet clutch. I run Mobil 1 racing 4t that can be picked up at any auto parts store. Hopefully its not to late to save it. Good luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
08 700XX Black/Gray
01 90 Yerf Dog
post #3 of 12 Old 04-08-2012, 09:50 AM

I have the same noise in my clutch and it was like that from day one when i bought my TRX. I talked to Honda here in Sweden about it and they talked to Honda US about it and the they all said the same. Its supposed to sound like that, so i have to trust them then. Search the forum and you will find some discussion about it.
I dont worry anymore.

post #4 of 12 Old 04-08-2012, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

by adjusting the clutch im assuming you just mean the cable tension/freeplay? theirs quite a bit of freeplay now, how much does the manual recomend? and where can i download the free manual is it around anymore? ill be putting spectro in it this week with a k&n filter. is 10/40 good for oil in this?
post #5 of 12 Old 04-08-2012, 10:41 AM

Yeah the freeplay. The manual recommends if I'm reading it correct is 3/8 - 13/16 at the lever. You can still get the manual on here for free I think. I just went out to the garage and started my quad just to make sure mine didn't make the same noise and didn't notice any. As far as the oil goes I put 10w40 in mine. If you can't get the manual then you can pm me and I will email to you if you want.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
08 700XX Black/Gray
01 90 Yerf Dog
post #6 of 12 Old 04-08-2012, 10:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraiolib View Post
by adjusting the clutch im assuming you just mean the cable tension/freeplay? theirs quite a bit of freeplay now, how much does the manual recomend? and where can i download the free manual is it around anymore? ill be putting spectro in it this week with a k&n filter. is 10/40 good for oil in this?
DO NOT use any oil that says "Energy Conserving" on the container. These oils are NOT for a wet clutch and their additives can "F" up our clutch. You can download the service manual here...

https://www.club700xx.com/vb/showthre...?t=2195&page=5

Post #48 (follow the directions in the post)

roadkill

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
"You lock the door and throw away the key. There's someone in my head, but it's not me."

R. Waters
x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

post #7 of 12 Old 04-09-2012, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Baxter
You can save the clutch with good oil. I learnt the expensive way. You run good oil , you'll never have a problem.

2008 TT-ReXX , 2003 400ex and 2014 CRF250r.
Products used, abused and loved from:
Ed at

Alex at

Jim at

Kyle at

With out these guys , it would not be as much fun.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-11-2012, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

ok i changed my oil and its worse, i need a new clutch i guess with better springs, which way do i go
post #9 of 12 Old 04-11-2012, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Baxter
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraiolib View Post
ok i changed my oil and its worse, i need a new clutch i guess with better springs, which way do i go
It may take 2 or 3 oil changes to bring the clutch back to life. If you take the clutch apart and everything looks normal then good oil will save it. If the steel plates look burnt or discolored then change the clutch.

2008 TT-ReXX , 2003 400ex and 2014 CRF250r.
Products used, abused and loved from:
Ed at

Alex at

Jim at

Kyle at

With out these guys , it would not be as much fun.
post #10 of 12 Old 04-11-2012, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

well.... i contacted eric at ehs to see about getting a clutch from him i think id rather just put a new clutch with stiffer springs and be done with it, the oil change made it alot worse. and i put good spectro oil in it, the same oil we use in all the wheelers in the shop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode