Bad Battery???? - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 05-29-2012, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bad Battery????

Finally took my new to me 700 out for a weekend ride and it ran great all weekend. However when I got home I washed the quad fired it up and rode it to my barn to wipe it down with armor all. After I finished detailing it I went to fire it back up and all it did was make clicking noises. I put the battery on a charger and said it was down to 50% so i charged it up and it still would not start. At this point i pull started it with my other bike and it fired right up but then backfired ran rough and stalled and again would not re-start and just clicked. I am thinking my battery went bad because I had this happen once on my street bike and it did the exact same thing. Anybody have a similar experience??

2008 Honda TRX700XX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-29-2012, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Baxter
The ECM is the only plug that is not waterproof. If you have a 700xx service manual the page 6-56,6-57. If you don't then pull the tank cover/nose peice off.Then remove the front lights. Then stood at the front of the xx , its the plug with the most wires on the right .You may have got some water in the plug connection.
I'll post the pages , if needed.

2008 TT-ReXX , 2003 400ex and 2014 CRF250r.
Products used, abused and loved from:
Ed at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Alex at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jim at

Kyle at

With out these guys , it would not be as much fun.
post #3 of 14 Old 05-30-2012, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Baxter

I will have to try that although I am really hoping its the battery. When I turn the key on all the dash lights come on as normal but when I flip the headlights on everything dies. I will check that connector tonight though just to be sure.

2008 Honda TRX700XX

post #4 of 14 Old 05-30-2012, 09:04 AM

Check your battery connections as well.

Pro Armor Fatpeg Nerfs
Pro Armor Skidplate
Razr 2's all around
Dynojet PCV
Curtis Sparks X6 Exhaust
PRM Desert II Bumper
CP 11:1 piston
WEBB 290 Cam
Ported +1 head by Bo White
HDD +3 Throttle Body

Loud Pipes Save Lives
post #5 of 14 Old 05-30-2012, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Yea I tried the connections already and no luck...........

2008 Honda TRX700XX
post #6 of 14 Old 05-30-2012, 02:55 PM
Sid

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
NVERL8,
I had the same thing on my 2005 Grizzly this morning when I was going ride. Just a click and that was it. I had it on the Battery Tender and the indication was that it was fully charged. After that, I removed it and took it to the motorcycle shop. The same indication, "fully charged". The kid put a load on it and the indication was it was completely dead. I really expected this to happen sooner-or-later. The battery is 7 years old and the new battery corrected the problem. I'm glad this didn't happen during my ride.
Sid
post #7 of 14 Old 05-30-2012, 02:56 PM

My original battery died within 3 years of ownership. I'm not sure the replacement will last this year.

2008 Honda TRX700XX | 13t Sprocket | HID Headlights | Steering Dampner | ITP Baja Fronts / ITP Pro's Rear | Maxxis RAZR2's all the way around!
post #8 of 14 Old 05-30-2012, 03:22 PM

well its pretty easy to know if its the battery. hook it up to your car with some jumper cables, and if it starts right up, you know it was your battery. Mine is almost 3 years old. I never used a tender, but if i don't ride it for more than a couple months, the battery gets low and i have to jump start it. it also starts a little harder now i think mostly due to the 290 web cam though. I will be getting a better battery when its time to replace it.

08 Honda 700xx
Installed
11.0:1 CP Piston || +3 Throttle Body by Cuervo Racing || Web 290 Cam
HD Web Valve Springs || Hard Rockers || NGK BKR6EKPB-11 Laser Platinum spark plug
Modquad Air Flow System with K&N Filter || custom mounted trail tech vapor || Modified air box lid
DMC Afterburner full exhaust || EBC Dirt Racer Clutch Kit w/Cuervo Racing springs || PC3
Rear 22" Kenda Kutter XC tires || Rear 22" ITP Sand Star tires

Dyno Tuned by Cuervo Racing @ 53.82rwhp & 44tq
post #9 of 14 Old 05-30-2012, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

I didnt try to jump it with my car but I did try to jump it using the boost setting on my battery charger and it would not start, however my charger is supposed to automatically shut off when "boosting" if it detects a problem so who knows that might be why it didnt start with the charger on the jump setting. Hopefully my battery will be here friday so I can find out then.

2008 Honda TRX700XX
post #10 of 14 Old 05-31-2012, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Baxter
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVERL8 View Post
Thanks Baxter

I will have to try that although I am really hoping its the battery. When I turn the key on all the dash lights come on as normal but when I flip the headlights on everything dies. I will check that connector tonight though just to be sure.
It sounds like the battery but check the earth connection to the frame on the left side near the airbox.

Easy way to see if the battery is screwed . start her up and at idle pull the the temp switch connector on the thermostat off. If the motor dies then it's the battery.

2008 TT-ReXX , 2003 400ex and 2014 CRF250r.
Products used, abused and loved from:
Ed at

Alex at

Jim at

Kyle at

With out these guys , it would not be as much fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode