Deal found...need info please. - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 07-11-2012, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Deal found...need info please.

A guy offered me a deal on a 08 700 today, problem is somehow the piston & cylinder got destroyed & needs bored or replaced, from the looks of it the piston appears to have wedged itself into the cylinder some how, but he said the bike was still running (but making a noise in the top end) when he tore it down.

can someone offer any insight about this machine ?? Do the 700's have any issues with the piston and/or cylinder from the factory that mite have caused this ??

Any other info about the 700 would be greatly appreciated (dependability,known problems, upgrades that should be done...), I'm a big Honda fan & have owned sevral but none this beastly.

Thanx in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-11-2012, 10:25 PM

im kinda new to them myself... all i can say is i love mine... tires are alil picky, swaybar could be changed ( ive not done mine yet ) front sprocket could be changed for a lower gear. some guys do not like the shocks,, no problem for me though (im 180lbs though )... all n all its a gr8 trail riding machine
post #3 of 9 Old 07-11-2012, 10:35 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
the 700xx is very dependable nothing on earth like it but anything can go wrong his problem sounds like poor matience but who knows, but the quad is worth rebuilding and plenty of the members will agree with me i think

2011 Honda CBR 250r:full two brothers exhaust,red underglos

post #4 of 9 Old 07-11-2012, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanx for the input gents, I figured since its aHonda its mostly bomb proof, like everything else they make.

He wants me to trade him 98 model DR650 that needs to have the motor case replaced for the 700 that needs the top end fixed,,, kinda feel like hes get'n the shaft.(even tho I need to seperate the motor case on the Honda to clean all the piston bits out)

Dont think I can tell him no.

I was curious if the 700s had a history of motor failures or something else, so far they sound solid.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-11-2012, 11:35 PM

Keep air filter clean and don't sink it like I did and she will last ya a long time.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-14-2012, 11:57 PM

A crooked jammed piston is most likely from hitting a valve or rod failure. Could be from taking in water as Nerv mentioned, but I believe otherwise. I don't know the Honda 700 at all, but I would be suspicious that its not a stock motor. Honda builds a good motor and thats a major failure.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-15-2012, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

I went and gave it a good look'n over Saturday, its in need of some love but entirely fixable, the piston had a big mark on one side like the storke was a smidge longer than the cylinder and it wedged on its way back up, & supposedly the side of piston was hammering on the spark plug from they way he found it after tear'n it down.

The guy aint exactly a gear head & I'm think'n some of the info he gave me is what his mechanic told him (& I know for a fact the mechanics practices are debatable).

I dug around & found another site for the 700xx & thers sevral pages of mechanical failures due to piston &/or wrist pin issues (ther think'n), honda dont seem to want to back the motors up either & claim its the owners lack of maintenance, one gent actuly worked at a Honda dealer & had to haggle with a reginal sales manager to get results. ( if I can find the site/thread I'll link it up), but considering all the 700s Honda has sold ther dont seem to be enuff failures to warrant a recall & most everyone is more than happy with ther machine.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-15-2012, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Heres the links.

http://trx700xx.net/forum/index.php/topic,160.0.html

http://trx700xx.net/forum/index.php/topic,140.0.html

Last edited by Johnny Reb; 07-15-2012 at 06:55 PM.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-05-2012, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Baxter
Buy it . Also replace the crank !

2008 TT-ReXX , 2003 400ex and 2014 CRF250r.
Products used, abused and loved from:
Ed at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Alex at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jim at

Kyle at

With out these guys , it would not be as much fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode