starter dragging - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 07-15-2012, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
starter dragging

just wondered if this is common ? starter drags sometimes when i crank the 700... i check the battery voltage.. its 12.7... this 700 i got used but it had very low hours on it.. i think ive put more on it in 2 months than it had ever had.. so let me know if anyone else is haveing this problem..
thanks Robby
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-16-2012, 09:32 PM

Starter maybe corroded on the inside causing voltage loss and thus causing the dragging

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MY RIDES

Amish washing the buggy^^^^
post #3 of 11 Old 07-17-2012, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

i was hoping not... i did put it on charge... it went to 13.1 after setting on day off charge... when running i got 14.2... so maybe it will help,,,its doing better now but i dont think a charge is going to fix it.. will see this w/e we are doing a night ride

post #4 of 11 Old 07-24-2012, 08:45 AM

I am actually in the process of posting something involving this. Mine started doing the same thing I think. Does yours stop, kind of as if the starter doesn't have enough power to turn the engine over on the compression stroke? That's what mine does. I just let off the starter button and hit it again and it works fine though. But I'd still like to address the problem before it gets worse, if it gets worse. I thought it was the battery at first, but I've been riding it so if the battery was low it should be charged now.

Also, if I adjust my valves it seems to change. If I tighten the valves I don't get that drag anymore, but it takes more cranks to start, which I'm sure isn't good. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the decompression mechanism? Maybe it's not opening on the compression stroke and the starter is having a hard time turning the engine over? I'm not sure. If you make any progress let me know.
post #5 of 11 Old 07-24-2012, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robscherer123 View Post
I am actually in the process of posting something involving this. Mine started doing the same thing I think. Does yours stop, kind of as if the starter doesn't have enough power to turn the engine over on the compression stroke? That's what mine does. I just let off the starter button and hit it again and it works fine though. But I'd still like to address the problem before it gets worse, if it gets worse. I thought it was the battery at first, but I've been riding it so if the battery was low it should be charged now.

Also, if I adjust my valves it seems to change. If I tighten the valves I don't get that drag anymore, but it takes more cranks to start, which I'm sure isn't good. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the decompression mechanism? Maybe it's not opening on the compression stroke and the starter is having a hard time turning the engine over? I'm not sure. If you make any progress let me know.
thats the same problem im having... my only gess maybe a battery with more cold cranking amps ??? you right about the decompression... if its giving problems then that would cause this... im hoping someone will chime in on this fix.... kinda sucks to hear your buddies crank and go...
post #6 of 11 Old 07-24-2012, 10:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
This may sound stupid, but does it do the same thing if you start it in neutral. The clutch may be dragging which could potentially cause slower cranking.

08 700xx,HMF Ballance Exhaust,HMF Optimizer,Honda Racing Skids, J&J A-Arm Skid Plates, Grip Heaters,13 Tooth Sprocket,Prm Six Pack Rack,6000k Hi/Lo HID lights,22x9-11 Kenda Kutters- summer,24x10-11 GBC Gators- winter,Trail Tech Voyager, Powermadd Handgaurds, Front Springs on All 4 Corners, GBC X-Rex 23x7-10, UNI Air Filter, Custom Outerwears Pre-Filter for a UNI,Odi Rouge Grips,Reverse Rev Limiter on a Switch,L8ton 11/16 Sway Bar
post #7 of 11 Old 07-24-2012, 10:36 PM

So I believd i found the problem! If your problem is the same as mine (which it sounds like it is), check your valve clearance. The valve clearance is most important here in the RIGHT EXHUAST valve (the one on the side closest to your throttle). If that valve is way out of spec, the decompression mechanism will be inneffective. However if you over tighten it, you will loose too much compression, which is a big no no. What helped me alot was doing some compression checks while adjustimg that vavle. If you have one (or go get one) make sure the cranking compression is around 65- 70psi. If yours is loose like mine was its probably around 90 or so.

Let me know id you need some more info or help, id be glad to give some advice, fixed my problem right up.
post #8 of 11 Old 07-25-2012, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

grin

yes i did my valves this afternoon... all is good now....
post #9 of 11 Old 07-25-2012, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robscherer123 View Post
So I believd i found the problem! If your problem is the same as mine (which it sounds like it is), check your valve clearance. The valve clearance is most important here in the RIGHT EXHUAST valve (the one on the side closest to your throttle). If that valve is way out of spec, the decompression mechanism will be inneffective. However if you over tighten it, you will loose too much compression, which is a big no no. What helped me alot was doing some compression checks while adjustimg that vavle. If you have one (or go get one) make sure the cranking compression is around 65- 70psi. If yours is loose like mine was its probably around 90 or so.

Let me know id you need some more info or help, id be glad to give some advice, fixed my problem right up.
well mine is in the 90s but cranks alot better.. no stalling the starter.. i did the compression test after i read your post... so is it fine now ? it cranks with no problems...
post #10 of 11 Old 07-26-2012, 07:57 AM

I sent you a PM!

But yea, I say your fine as long as it starts good. The manual also suggests to do compression tests with the throttle wide open. I'm not sure how much of a difference that makes though.

Let me know if you come across any other problems with it though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode