Loud valves - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 07-24-2012, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Loud valves

Ok, here's my problem, my valves are really loud on my bike (700xx of course). I've tried tightening them to spec and it runs much quieter. However if they're even SLIGHTLY under spec at all whatsoever, it takes several cranks to get started and I get this weird hick-up noise every once in a while while running it, so I definitely don't want to run them tight.

If I run them right around what they're supposed to be (or SLIGHTLY loose), they're really loud and annoying, but it runs great. I'm not sure if it's related to the valves or not, but when they're slightly loose, my starter has a hard time turning the engine over (probably on the compression stroke). It can still start it, but you can tell it's having a hard time. I'm pretty dang sure that issue is not the battery, I could be wrong, but I don't believe it is.

I was wondering if the decompression mechanism has anything to do with how your valves are adjusted? Are they super insanely picky on being EXACTLY spot on when being checked? I've adjusted them several times, and like I said, they're either tight and quiet with a hickup, or loose and loud but runs great. Why are the valves so loud on this dang thing? I can hear them over my aftermarket exhaust and although it runs great, I don't want my quad to sound that loud.

Any help would me much appreciated. I'd like to fix the problem ASAP so I can get it off my chest. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-24-2012, 07:12 PM

as far as the starter having a hard time ive got that going on also... maybe someone will chime in on what the problem is... ive asked if anyone has put the cbr1000 battery in and havnt heard anything... im thinking i need more cranking amps... good luck
robby
post #3 of 6 Old 07-24-2012, 07:50 PM

I have used the CBR1000 battery with the same results. Hard cranking like compression is not being released, not all the time but enough to piss you off.

post #4 of 6 Old 07-24-2012, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Problem has been fixed!! Guys, check your RIGHT EXHAUST valve clearance. It is EXTREMELY crucial to solving the problem. If too loose it will have high starting compression. If too tight it will loose too much compression. It helps to get a compression gauge and make the compression right around 6590 (maybe 5 or so over to be safe) as ths manual suggests.

Hope that helps!
post #5 of 6 Old 07-26-2012, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Well, probably hasn't ENTIRELY been fixed yet. I rode it for about an hour and I started getting that weird stuttering again. At least my valve adjustment that I found led to find out that it is a problem with the decompressor though. So later today I think I am just going to remove the whole decompressor itself, I've read that it can still start without it and the top end is quieter without it. Heck, no use having it if it doesn't need it I guess.

Can anyone confirm you don't need the decompressor and can just remove it altogether?
post #6 of 6 Old 07-26-2012, 08:14 AM

not a good idea in my opinion it will be extremely hard on starting componets

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode