valve clearance keeps increasing, whats going on?! - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2012, 07:01 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
valve clearance keeps increasing, whats going on?!

I've posted this on the ATVConnection forums too, I'd just like to see if I could find anymore help here.

My problem is, i adjust my valve clearance to spec (.15 intake and. 2 for exhaust) and my quad runs good and quiet. Within an hour or two of riding, i can hear my valves clicking and clanking. Get home, and there at about 3-4 times out of spec, rough guess their at about. 5 each or so. What the heck is causing this? And YES my adjusting bolts have been tightened all the way. I even tightened them a few pounds over what the torque rating said they should be. When i go to adjust them they are still tight too.

My only guess is that my rocker arms are wearimg where they touch the cam. When i last had the head off a week ago, they definately looked worn, but i figured that was normal.

Regardless, how could they possibly be wearing THAT much within 1 or 2 hours of riding?! I do not understand.

My bike is a 700xx. Also, i think when they are that loose i am loosing power, its hard to tell though, but i think i am. I finally got the chance to line my 700xx up against a Raptor 700 and KFX 700 yesterday. I got destroyed... I dont want to turn this into a debate as to what quad is faster, but lets just say i know i shouldnt have got beat as bad as i did, consistently. My valves were clickin and clanking like i said, so im wondering if i lost some power from them.

So why are my valves going so far out of spec so fast?! Any help would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2012, 07:03 AM Thread Starter

On another note, I just took my head cover off and the rocker arms are definitely taking some pretty bad wear. What would be causing this? The cam is covered in oil so it seems everything up top is getting oil to it. Whether or not it's the exact right amount of oil I don't know, but it's got oil all over it.

Are the ends of the rocker arms made of much harder metal, then once worn past that its get to weak metal and they wear really fast? That's my only guess. Need some help.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:57 AM

Stock or aftermarket cam. Some aftermarket cams need hardened rockers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MY RIDES

Amish washing the buggy^^^^

Old 07-30-2012, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

?? Why are my rocker arms wearing ends down about .4mm within 2 hours though? I have stock cam and stock rocker arms if that was meant to be a question though.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Years ago cams were case hardened, so once worn through the much softer steel would then wear out rapidly..
I have no idea if modern cams are the same though..
Old 07-30-2012, 04:18 PM

Replace both cam and rockers... U can get your rocker arms Hardwelded and re machined thru WEBCAMShafts

same with the cam May as well upgrade the camshaft at this time....

I have good used cores if your just looking to replace with oem... $60+ shipping and your cores in return

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:42 AM

did you actually measure the rocker faces to verify they are wearing?

i havent seen many xx wear them out on stock stuff. If you do run to tight of valve lash it will eat them up quick though if there is no clearence room it basically will wipe all the oil off the cam and wear metal to metal so it doesnt take long once that happens its probably time to upgrade if you have to do rockers as well its not as painful to go to the better cam selections. you will still need to factor in springs with those as well

Old 08-01-2012, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the offer DL700, but I already bought some or I probably would have taken up that offer. =/

I didn't measure them, but no measuring is really nessicarly, you can tell their very very worn just by looking at them. I asked the mechanic at the honda shop, he said once the main hard surface wears down, the rest of the metal is really weak and will wear down in no time, so I guess that makes sense then.

So I went ahead and ordered new rocker arms and a stage 2 hot cam. I'm really pumped to see how the new cam performs. Any word on how it will perform? Should my 700xx pull a lot harder now?
Old 08-01-2012, 09:51 PM

Should have gone with stage three but it will be a noticeable difference. You'll also need a programmer too

Pro Armor Fatpeg Nerfs
Pro Armor Skidplate
Razr 2's all around
Dynojet PCV
Curtis Sparks X6 Exhaust
PRM Desert II Bumper
CP 11:1 piston
WEBB 290 Cam
Ported +1 head by Bo White
HDD +3 Throttle Body

Loud Pipes Save Lives
Old 08-06-2012, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

For the future reference, installing a new cam and rocker arms fixed it. Like I said, they must have been worn down past the point of a harder surface or something.

Anyway, the stage 2 rocks! I've already got a programmer and slip on exhuast and new air filter with no lid. Could I have installed a stage 3 if I wanted? It suggests you need some motor mods for it to run best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in