Is Mobil1 4T full synthetic bad in the XX? - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 07-31-2012, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is Mobil1 4T full synthetic bad in the XX?

I always ran this in other quads with no issue. Its wet clutch safe. I ask because I put this in when I bought the quad and it seems to clank into gear when shifting. All gears. Also noticed when coasting in any gear if I hammer the throttle it gets a gear lash feel. Again a clanking feel.

My chain is adjusted correct. Gonna check on the clutch adjustment, but I think its probably fine. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 07-31-2012, 06:49 PM

Not sure what the problem would be because that's all I run in mine and have had nothing but positive results. Really it feels a lot smoother when shifting. Did it do it before you switched?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
08 700XX Black/Gray
01 90 Yerf Dog
post #3 of 19 Old 07-31-2012, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

I don't think it did. Hard to say cause I only rode it up and down an alley a few times then did the change. While shifting it could be a clutch issue, but doing it from a coast to hammering the throttle with out clutch action is kinda weird. I don't have any play in the rear end either.

post #4 of 19 Old 07-31-2012, 09:56 PM
Sid

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
easystreet,
Did you drain the original oil from all three locations? Remote oil reservoir, the oil filter hosing and the crankcase. Riding "up and down the alley a few times" may not have put most of the oil into the major tank. If the two oils mixed I'm not sure what that could cause. JMHO.
Sid
post #5 of 19 Old 07-31-2012, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I did all three and changed the filter. I will say that the oil I drained was black. Personally I have never ran oil more than about 5hrs on a sport quad. I know its obsessive, but I run these things hard. The original owner had an oil change at a supposed 20hrs. Gave me the reciept, but there is no hours or miles indicator on these so who knows. He said he thought it had another 20hrs on it after that. I'm a little concerned it may be the clutch. The guy was 60 years old and bought to ride with his buddies who had utility quads. They would go to places like Moab. He said it was too much machine for him and he had trouble with a clutch in the tough areas. He may of went through a lot of its life by not knowing what he was doing. I'm gonna pay close attention to clutch catch and release points and see if it needs adjustment.
post #6 of 19 Old 07-31-2012, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

I think its insane to not change the oil and filter on a brand new motor in the first 1/2 hour. Thats when your rings have seated and debris is created. 20hrs on first change? No way!
post #7 of 19 Old 07-31-2012, 10:27 PM

I agree with you on the clutch may have an issue. From what you describe it sounds like the old man may have hurt it if he didn't shift properly or lack there of. Sounds like it may be slipping. Back to your original question, Mobil 1 is great oil and wouldn't hesitate to use it and I agree on not waiting 20 hrs. that's just insane. Good luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
08 700XX Black/Gray
01 90 Yerf Dog
post #8 of 19 Old 08-01-2012, 05:31 AM

Mine clanks some times and i use mobile one synthetic oil. I think its done it on both my 700s since they were new. It usually does it when it hasn't warmed up long enough.
post #9 of 19 Old 08-01-2012, 06:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by easystreet View Post
I think its insane to not change the oil and filter on a brand new motor in the first 1/2 hour. Thats when your rings have seated and debris is created. 20hrs on first change? No way!
The break in oil the manufactures use is important to run in new engines for a certain amount of time. So if you drain it out and put in regular weight oil after 30mins of run time, I'd say that's doing way more harm than good.

#1 2008 Honda Trx700xx HMF Performance Exhaust, PCV, Stroked 710cc, 10.5:1 Wiseco Piston, Frt Elka Stage 4's, Fox Podium X rear's, EHS Lid, L8ton 11/16" sway bar, DG 6 Pack Rack, PRM Desert II Bumper & Front Skids.
#2 2008 Trx700xx AMR Reaper, Ehs Big 3, P/P head, Xcalibur Cam, Hard Welded Rockers, +1 In/Ex Valves, +3 Throttle body, 11:1 CP Piston, Elka Stage 3 Legacy Shocks, L8ton 11/16th Sway Bar, PRM Front Skids, Desert II Bumper & Rear Utility Rack.

post #10 of 19 Old 08-01-2012, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Do you mean the assembly lube? I have rebuilt many motors and never heard of a specific break in motor oil. The assembly lube is used because its thicker and clings on to parts and won't run off with gravity. Its crucial I agree. Once your new motor is warmed up its no longer needed. It has done its job and the circulating motor oil is there to take over. Personally I still say get that oil changed quick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode