Motor build and clutch kit questions - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 08-19-2012, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Motor build and clutch kit questions

I service and check the top end clearances every 5hrs and after noticing that a had no lash clearance on my inlet valves ad the clutch was a bit sad at times, I pulled the head and clutch apart to see what is going on,

I foun that the inlet valves have pounded into the head and are really only good to use as small paper weights,

The clutch: I didn't think that I abused the clutch too much when I ride but after pulling it out and finding that I have turned all the clutch steels blue, I'm starting to think otherwise,

While I was there I thought I may aswell pull the barrel and piston, both of these look ok but the piston pin is rather scored and marked where it appears to have had no oil,

Here's where the questions begin:
Has anyone else found that the valves in there head are pounding excessively into the seats? And have any idea as to why?

Will a crf450 clutch kit work in the trx700xx?

And has anyone had problems with pistons not getting proper ammounts of oil/pressure?

I am able to fix all I the above issues but thought I would find out if any one else has has similar issues,
And while I'm there I'm going to go slightly higher comp piston, stage 2 cam and a bit of porting,

I will post photos when I work out how to.

All readyto roost thanks to
Mike at Quadparts.com.au
Bart at Pearl Coast Motorcycles
Team IMS imsproducts.com
George at MonsterLab Atv
Kimberly Motorcycles
Bj Network Consulting Australia
Minshull Mechanical Repairs

R.I.P Steve "Scuba" Hall 12th December 1988 - 5th December 2010

You are Greatly missed, cant wait to go riding with you again one day mate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-20-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTrx700xx View Post
I service and check the top end clearances every 5hrs and after noticing that a had no lash clearance on my inlet valves ad the clutch was a bit sad at times, I pulled the head and clutch apart to see what is going on,

I foun that the inlet valves have pounded into the head and are really only good to use as small paper weights,

The clutch: I didn't think that I abused the clutch too much when I ride but after pulling it out and finding that I have turned all the clutch steels blue, I'm starting to think otherwise,

While I was there I thought I may aswell pull the barrel and piston, both of these look ok but the piston pin is rather scored and marked where it appears to have had no oil,

Here's where the questions begin:
Has anyone else found that the valves in there head are pounding excessively into the seats? And have any idea as to why?

Never seen this issue with the XX

Will a crf450 clutch kit work in the trx700xx?

No, There are HD clutch kits available though

And has anyone had problems with pistons not getting proper ammounts of oil/pressure?

If you install the oil filter backwards you will get these results and worse. I have seen irregular wear on others to though. Could be stress from the slipper skirt design.

I am able to fix all I the above issues but thought I would find out if any one else has has similar issues,
And while I'm there I'm going to go slightly higher comp piston, stage 2 cam and a bit of porting,

I will post photos when I work out how to.
Answers in bold...
post #3 of 5 Old 08-20-2012, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

What's the differences between the clutches? The fibers appear to be identical, I havnt had a chance to check the steels yet, I ask as I have a crf450 clutch in the shop ATM I can't send back, I can't see the oil filter going in backwards as its something I make sure is right and I can't see it lasting for 5 hours under race conditions and only scoring the piston pin, the weird thing about it is it's only one side of the pin

Mike at Quadparts.com.au
Team IMS imsproducts.com
George at MonsterLab Atv
Kimberly Motorcycles

post #4 of 5 Old 08-20-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTrx700xx View Post
What's the differences between the clutches? The fibers appear to be identical, I havnt had a chance to check the steels yet, I ask as I have a crf450 clutch in the shop ATM I can't send back, I can't see the oil filter going in backwards as its something I make sure is right and I can't see it lasting for 5 hours under race conditions and only scoring the piston pin, the weird thing about it is it's only one side of the pin
I believe the steels are thicker and come with heavier springs. You have pics of the pin? As I said I've seen a few in less than great shape come out of bikes that haven't been abused. I lean towards the slipper piston being the actual cause.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-21-2012, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

I have pics of it, but still having issues uploading them.

Got a chance to measure and mic everything up, and require new valve springs as they are just on service limit, clutch springs are way under limit by .85 and are binding rather badly in the clutch hub, the clutch basket needs to be re rivited as its come loose, the cam chain is out of spec, inlet valves are too far gone to reface,

I'm rather suprised at just how much need to be replaced after 230hrs,

Mike at Quadparts.com.au
Team IMS imsproducts.com
George at MonsterLab Atv
Kimberly Motorcycles

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode