I filled Up My oil To the top... Scared. - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 Old 08-23-2012, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
oops I filled Up My oil To the top... Scared.

I was doing some maintenance on my 08 700xx When I seen the oil was low. So I though I would have to fill it up for awhile if I fill the whole oil tank to the top. Well then I though after I did it that maybe its not good. So should I leave it in there or drain it all out and buy another bottle of oil? Keep in mind I filled the whole oil tank up!

P.S I DID NOT start the engine up yet. Will I get any engine damage still?

Thanks for any help, I am real scared I F**ked it up...

700xx Newbie!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Computer giving you problems? Computers are my specialty! email me any questions and I will answer them as honestly as I can:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Phil700; 08-23-2012 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Spelling errors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 08-24-2012, 05:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Garage
I would drain it before starting, shouldn't do any damage if you haven't run bike. Not sure how you checked the oil but it's a little tricky on the XX if you ask me. Cause if you just check it, with out running and warming up it will read low.

#1 2008 Honda Trx700xx HMF Performance Exhaust, PCV, Stroked 710cc, 10.5:1 Wiseco Piston, Frt Elka Stage 4's, Fox Podium X rear's, EHS Lid, L8ton 11/16" sway bar, DG 6 Pack Rack, PRM Desert II Bumper & Front Skids.
#2 2008 Trx700xx AMR Reaper, Ehs Big 3, P/P head, Xcalibur Cam, Hard Welded Rockers, +1 In/Ex Valves, +3 Throttle body, 11:1 CP Piston, Elka Stage 3 Legacy Shocks, L8ton 11/16th Sway Bar, PRM Front Skids, Desert II Bumper & Rear Utility Rack.

post #3 of 38 Old 08-24-2012, 08:08 AM

dont overfill a motor with oil its not good for it. Ones with a external ressi can be over filled slightly but not to the top.

dont cheap out on oil and oil maintence if you have a expensive machine spend a extra $50-$100 a year a change the oil regulary it will save you $$ in the long run

on my race/drag bike i change the oil after every 10-20 passes these are a way different than your bike but it equates to maybe 10-15 minutes of run time tops. obviously im not saying thats what you should do but realisticly i would say on a trail bike 12-15 hours change it. If your ever in doubt that its not right just drain it out and put it back in you can recyle it if its new oil and it takes less than 10 mins

post #4 of 38 Old 08-24-2012, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Baxter
I would drain the engine and tank. Change the filter and refill with correct amount of new oil.

2008 TT-ReXX , 2003 400ex and 2014 CRF250r.
Products used, abused and loved from:
Ed at

Alex at

Jim at

Kyle at

With out these guys , it would not be as much fun.
post #5 of 38 Old 08-24-2012, 08:56 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to bdr455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
I would drain the engine and tank. Change the filter and refill with correct amount of new oil.
I 2nd this and as EHS said don't cheap out on regular maint...

700xx

BruteForce 650i

400 Sport Polaris

300ex

post #6 of 38 Old 08-24-2012, 10:40 AM
Sid

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Phil700,
All the above is great advice. Shouldn't take more than 2 quarts of Honda Oil. Slightly over is OK. Be sure to drain the small amount that remains in the crankcase. Your owner's manual will be a guide as to where that drain plug is. You should also be very careful as to the orientation of the oil filter. A Honda filter has information on the filter housing as to which side goes forward. Warm up engine before checking oil level. Book says 5 minutes. Just ride it around for a short trip then check the level.
Sid
post #7 of 38 Old 08-24-2012, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your help guys! One more question, do I need to buy a new filter you guys were talking about or just clean it?

700xx Newbie!

Computer giving you problems? Computers are my specialty! email me any questions and I will answer them as honestly as I can:

post #8 of 38 Old 08-24-2012, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Baxter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil700 View Post
Thanks so much for your help guys! One more question, do I need to buy a new filter you guys were talking about or just clean it?
Put in a new one.

2008 TT-ReXX , 2003 400ex and 2014 CRF250r.
Products used, abused and loved from:
Ed at

Alex at

Jim at

Kyle at

With out these guys , it would not be as much fun.
post #9 of 38 Old 08-24-2012, 03:23 PM
Sid

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Phil700
Baxter is right on. Not only is this a good idea whenever your change oil but it will give you a chance to make sure the filter is pointing in the correct orientation. One other thing, when you re-install the filter housing do not and I repeat do not over tighten the screws. That long screw only goes in one position. If you tighten it as the owner’s manual instructs you may pop the head off. Just use a box wrench and tighten the screws alternating from bottom to top, then from side to side and carefully "snug" them all up. These screws will be tight enough to when you remove the filter housing cover again they will give a good pop.
Sid
post #10 of 38 Old 08-24-2012, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

wink

You guys are awesome! Thanks for all of your help guys! You made it go so much more smoothly, thanks!

700xx Newbie!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
"looking for help", filled up oil to high

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode