User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 09-09-2012, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Stage 2 Cam?

Hello my friends!

On a scale of 1-10 how hard is it to install a stage 2 cam? Also, what mods could I do to my 700 that are under $200.00?

I plan on getting a Lexx Slip on too.

700xx Newbie!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Computer giving you problems? Computers are my specialty! email me any questions and I will answer them as honestly as I can:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-09-2012, 09:01 PM

IMO, I'd save the money and skip the slip on. Yo're better off with a programmer and an air mod of some sort. To keep it really cheap and still be able to feel a difference:

13 tooth front sprocket: $15
EFI Programmer: $200
New air filter: $30
Remove the airbox lid: Free!

As for the cam, it's a 5 in my book due to the not needing to change the valve springs. I wouldn't even think of touching the cam unless I had head work, higher comp piston, full exhaust, efi programmer and an air filter solution.

2008 TRX700XX, Yellow/Black, EHS Big 3, EFM Auto Clutch, DS650 Fenders, 13T, Shorty Clutch Lever, Rear Brake on Bars, Kenda Road Go/ITP.

2000 Polaris Scrambler 400, HPD Trail Mod Complete Package, V-Force Reeds, Mikuni Flat Slide Carb, Flexx Bars, HPD Stabilizer, Fox Podium Rear Shock.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-10-2012, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Alright thanks man! I'll skip the Slip on, and cam. Thanks for the quick reply!

One more thing, I am a cheapass and plan on running my quad with airbox lid off.
Will this do any damage to my prized machine?

700xx Newbie!

Computer giving you problems? Computers are my specialty! email me any questions and I will answer them as honestly as I can:

post #4 of 6 Old 09-10-2012, 09:58 PM

Make sure you use a good air filter & keep you air filter serviced regularly and you will be good.

2008 700XX - OMF Beadlocks w/Billet Centers & Reinforcement Rings, Kenda Kutters, CCP Steering Stabilizer, ASV F3 Levers, ODI Rouge lock-on grips, Houser Bounce Nerf Bars, Pro Armor skid pad, UNI Filter
2007 400EX - CCP Steering Stabilizer, GT Thunder 450R Shocks, 450R Rear Brake Conversion, YFZ450 Front Brake Conversion, ProTaper Bars, Rath Racing Nerf Bars, Alba Elite Bumper, ASV F3 Levers, ODI Rouge lock-on grips, UNI Filter, Kenda Kutters, Pro Armor skid pad, Armadillo Swing Arm skid pad
post #5 of 6 Old 09-11-2012, 05:39 AM

Totally agree with above. If you're not a mud riding guy or someone who rides in deep water, you'll be fine. But get the programmer before you just take the lid off. The bike runs a little lean in stock form and you'll make it worse.

2008 TRX700XX, Yellow/Black, EHS Big 3, EFM Auto Clutch, DS650 Fenders, 13T, Shorty Clutch Lever, Rear Brake on Bars, Kenda Road Go/ITP.

2000 Polaris Scrambler 400, HPD Trail Mod Complete Package, V-Force Reeds, Mikuni Flat Slide Carb, Flexx Bars, HPD Stabilizer, Fox Podium Rear Shock.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-11-2012, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
If you limit is $200, then I would do what ironchef2009 suggested, although I feel the power gains will be pretty minimal. The stock muffler is pretty restrictive, look how small the opening is and it is baffled, so a slip on would provide alot more exhaust flow, since it is just a straight though pipe. I have never tried the Lexx brand slip on's, but I have heard good things about them. I figure all slip on's are pretty much the same, not really a whole lot you can do using the stock headpipe, might as well get the cheapest one you can.

As far as a cam, I believe site sponsor EHS did a before and after dyno test on a "big 3" 700XX and Hot Cams stage 3 cam. (Dyno sheets should be on this site somewhere.) I want to say the quad picked up something like 3 or 4 horsepower after the cam install. My one 700 has the big 3 and I installed a stage 3 cam and it was a noticeable difference. What are your future plans? If you never really plan on getting into the motor, then a Stage 3 cam would be a good investment. Now if you plan on gettting the head ported eventually along with other work, then I would hold off and get a Web cam and spring kit later down the road.

For a budget motor that you never really plan on doing anything else with, I would go with a Lexx slip-on, EFI controller, remove airbox lid, and a Stage 3 cam. Will be a very noticeable difference compared to stock.

Doug

2004 TRX450R, 2008 TRX700XX
(BITD #639 Quad Ironman Expert)

2015 sponsors: Teixeiratech.com, Motowoz.com, Snailmotorsports.com, My bank account.

2008 TRX700XX
2005 TRX450R
1986 TRX250R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode