Clutch help/opinion? - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 09-26-2012, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Clutch help/opinion?

I have been trying to locate my high rpm rattle/vibration. Baxter thought maybe the clutch basket is worn. Pulled the cover and here is what I see. Is this normal free play?

View My Video

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 09-26-2012, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Here it is with the plates removed.
View My Video

The inner basket is still locked down.
post #3 of 23 Old 09-26-2012, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
i think honda updated the through out bearing the first ones were a little noisy. i still have my original. think honda did a recall on that bearing and its got a new part #

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
08 700XX PRM Six Pack Rack Hardline hour meter EHS EFI Controller EHS Lid with side vents Barker Full Exhaust Uni Air Filter alba nerfs elka stg4 fronts sti rims kutter front gbcxrex rear
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 23 Old 09-26-2012, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Baxter
Quote:
Originally Posted by easystreet View Post
Here it is with the plates removed.
View My Video

The inner basket is still locked down.
You didn't pm me the second vid. Ignore the pm reply , You basket , bearing and centre bush need replacing. Mine is worse than this but still using , it has no other problems than high vibes and saving to build a new motor using differant components from differant Honda's.

Honda did do an update on the bearing but went back to the old part # shortly after doing this.

2008 TT-ReXX , 2003 400ex and 2014 CRF250r.
Products used, abused and loved from:
Ed at

Alex at

Jim at

Kyle at

With out these guys , it would not be as much fun.
post #5 of 23 Old 09-26-2012, 07:47 PM

I can't view the vid ATM as I'm using my phone, but When I pulled my motor apart a few weeks ago I found that I had a fair ammount of play in the clutch basket it's self as the rivits had come loose. But was able to fix this with a rivit tool and a press

All readyto roost thanks to
Mike at Quadparts.com.au
Bart at Pearl Coast Motorcycles
Team IMS imsproducts.com
George at MonsterLab Atv
Kimberly Motorcycles
Bj Network Consulting Australia
Minshull Mechanical Repairs

R.I.P Steve "Scuba" Hall 12th December 1988 - 5th December 2010

You are Greatly missed, cant wait to go riding with you again one day mate
post #6 of 23 Old 09-26-2012, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
You didn't pm me the second vid. Ignore the pm reply , You basket , bearing and centre bush need replacing. Mine is worse than this but still using , it has no other problems than high vibes and saving to build a new motor using differant components from differant Honda's.

Honda did do an update on the bearing but went back to the old part # shortly after doing this.
Baxter, you think the basket itself needs replaced as well? The bearing and bushing are fairly cheap. The basket is $210 dollars! I will order it if you think so.
Did the second video make you think it was worse?
I stopped into my local Honda dealer and the mechanic said there should be some play. He didn't want to help too much, just wanted me to bring it in for them to repair it.
post #7 of 23 Old 09-26-2012, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Anything else I should replace while at it? The plates look good. Didn't check them for warpage yet.
Am I able to replace those parts without pulling that whole side cover off?
post #8 of 23 Old 09-27-2012, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Baxter
Quote:
Baxter, you think the basket itself needs replaced as well? The bearing and bushing are fairly cheap. The basket is $210 dollars! I will order it if you think so.
Did the second video make you think it was worse?
I stopped into my local Honda dealer and the mechanic said there should be some play. He didn't want to help too much, just wanted me to bring it in for them to repair it.
I would change the bush and bearing first and see if this improves it. Like Aus said it maybe loose rivets. Some members have had the basket/unit re-rivetted. You'll only know by removing the basket/unit.

Quote:
Anything else I should replace while at it? The plates look good. Didn't check them for warpage yet.
Am I able to replace those parts without pulling that whole side cover off?
The clutch plates should be ok and yes these can be removed /replaced by just removing the clutch cover.

I am trying to wear one out excessively to see what and where the problem is. I have one basket/unit,bearing and bush and will post a vid on comparing both.
Even a new basket/unit,bearing and bush have more play than most other baskets, I've had or seen. Compared to the 450r it seemed worn out.

There's some other stuff that I'll post later after work.

2008 TT-ReXX , 2003 400ex and 2014 CRF250r.
Products used, abused and loved from:
Ed at

Alex at

Jim at

Kyle at

With out these guys , it would not be as much fun.
post #9 of 23 Old 09-27-2012, 04:22 PM

I had the same problem, my rivets cam loose and the gear on the back was vibrating. Also had a high pitched whine. I replaced everything but the pressure plate and it was still loose, and I still have the whine as well. These 700xx baskets are very loose compared to any 450 that I have looked at.

Pro Armor Fatpeg Nerfs
Pro Armor Skidplate
Razr 2's all around
Dynojet PCV
Curtis Sparks X6 Exhaust
PRM Desert II Bumper
CP 11:1 piston
WEBB 290 Cam
Ported +1 head by Bo White
HDD +3 Throttle Body

Loud Pipes Save Lives
post #10 of 23 Old 09-27-2012, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfdanie2 View Post
I had the same problem, my rivets cam loose and the gear on the back was vibrating. Also had a high pitched whine. I replaced everything but the pressure plate and it was still loose, and I still have the whine as well. These 700xx baskets are very loose compared to any 450 that I have looked at.
When you got your new clutch outer basket, was the gear completely solid to the basket? You say you replaced everything and it was still loose. What was still loose?

My gear is loose to the basket at the rivets. I need to know if a brand new one is also loose as part of its design. I hate to buy a new $210 basket and find out thats just how they are!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode