User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 10-03-2012, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
third rebuild in a year...

im about done with this motor.
I've put two top ends in it in less than a year. the first one was a total rebuild supposedly that Honda put in and it lasted 2engine hours before it started rattling (timing chain) so i took it back to Honda and they gave me the run around about it saying the whole top end was shot. so i picked it up in peices because i didn't even want them to touch it again. so i put a top end in it myself and it lasted three rides before it started smoking. pulled it down and the cylinder looks like it has been in the motor for years and its not like i put a used cylinder in it it was a fresh big bore from alba.

im thinking the oil system isn't working or something. is there a way to check it. i know its getting oil to the head but im thinking the oil jet in the case is an issue. also the crank feels tight. but is there a way to check that in the motor?

08 trx700xx lot's O mod's
08 ktm 525xc modded
08 yamaha 450 lightly modded
05 grizzly 660SE (sold)
11 rzr s (sold) and missed

sponsors:
Manford Auto Supply (NAPA)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Teixeira Tech:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

L8aton Racing:

Fox Racing:

powermadd:

WAR doesn't determine who's right just who's left
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-04-2012, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
crying

thats not good dont know what to tell you but that sucks!! maybe a problem in bottom end ?

08 700XX PRM Six Pack Rack Hardline hour meter EHS EFI Controller EHS Lid with side vents Barker Full Exhaust Uni Air Filter alba nerfs elka stg4 fronts sti rims kutter front gbcxrex rear
post #3 of 14 Old 10-05-2012, 10:01 AM

I believe there is a oil screen inside the engine you can get too if you pull the side casing off, aswell as the oil screen in the oil resivour aswell,

All readyto roost thanks to
Mike at Quadparts.com.au
Bart at Pearl Coast Motorcycles
Team IMS imsproducts.com
George at MonsterLab Atv
Kimberly Motorcycles
Bj Network Consulting Australia
Minshull Mechanical Repairs

R.I.P Steve "Scuba" Hall 12th December 1988 - 5th December 2010

You are Greatly missed, cant wait to go riding with you again one day mate

post #4 of 14 Old 10-05-2012, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Baxter
I'm on my third 4th gear,shift drum,clutch basket and middle fork. Not had a problem up top.

2008 TT-ReXX , 2003 400ex and 2014 CRF250r.
Products used, abused and loved from:
Ed at

Alex at

Jim at

Kyle at

With out these guys , it would not be as much fun.
post #5 of 14 Old 10-07-2012, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

im thinking its the crank. the wrist pin is worn just like the last one and so i will replace it and hope that is the problem this is starting to be an expensive problem. but if it was the crank the whole time im willing to bet Honda didn't replace it like they said.

i did learn something about having a shop do the work. always ask for the worn parts before they start so you know they replaced it or least went to alt of trouble lieing to you lol

08 ktm 525xc modded
05 grizzly 660SE (sold)

sponsors:

Teixeira Tech:

L8aton Racing:

Fox Racing:

powermadd:

post #6 of 14 Old 10-07-2012, 07:44 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger19jn View Post
im thinking its the crank. the wrist pin is worn just like the last one and so i will replace it and hope that is the problem this is starting to be an expensive problem. but if it was the crank the whole time im willing to bet Honda didn't replace it like they said.

i did learn something about having a shop do the work. always ask for the worn parts before they start so you know they replaced it or least went to alt of trouble lieing to you lol
oh yeah thats the truth my small town honda shop is good about that especially if its an warranty job!

08 700XX PRM Six Pack Rack Hardline hour meter EHS EFI Controller EHS Lid with side vents Barker Full Exhaust Uni Air Filter alba nerfs elka stg4 fronts sti rims kutter front gbcxrex rear
post #7 of 14 Old 10-11-2012, 12:51 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
maybe you should stop riding it like a 3 dollor whore lol

2011 Honda CBR 250r:full two brothers exhaust,red underglos
post #8 of 14 Old 10-18-2012, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

lol oh it has been ridden like i high end hooker. no cheap shiat goes in my motors until now lol... she is getting a hotrod crank... hope it holds up.

i am suprized there was no brass bushing in the stock crank. no wonder i had so many problems.

08 ktm 525xc modded
05 grizzly 660SE (sold)

sponsors:

Teixeira Tech:

L8aton Racing:

Fox Racing:

powermadd:

post #9 of 14 Old 10-22-2012, 11:18 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to smo0oth1
I lean on the slipper pistons being a contributing factor to the abnormal wear we've seen in these motors. I don't believe the slight power increase in the design is worth the trade off of less reliability. If I ever have anymore pistons made they'll have full skirts with anti friction coating I had put on the others I had.

I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
post #10 of 14 Old 10-25-2012, 09:28 AM

Hey man I had a similar problem. I know if your cylinder is shot and you put new rings in it it will eat the rings up within a few weeks of riding or so. Seems like the best idea is to unfortunately re-place everything at once that way you don't have any old worn parts causing abnormal wear on parts that are brand new. I had to take my stupid top end apart a few times before I found this out. It was starting to get really old. I've been riding it for about a month now and no problems with it, so let's hope it stays that way for a long time.

Also, make sure you use some sort of air filter oil on your air filter especially if you ride in dusty conditions. I think that's also what helped kill mine in the first place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode