High Compression Issue - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 10-25-2012, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
High Compression Issue

My first post ever on one of these things......don't cut me up too bad....

Here is my understanding of the High compression on startup. My bike is showing 130-150 PSI durning my compression test. after much troubleshooting this tells me I have a bad Auto Decompression lobe on my cam. With that said this tells me that the only problem i am going to have is a rough time starting my bike and keeping it running (I live in NC ride mostly in WV) under super cold conditions, and i have no worries there.

Tell me if i am wrong but i think i am going to let that ride until i have to perform some type of major head work then i will replace it, because after everyhting i found this will not hurt the bike.

I posted this because there is very little i could find on this issues, so i spoke to my neighbor who is an Audi/VW mechanic and he mentioned having a manual decompressor for a kick start 4 stroke dirt bike......with that information the above is what i deduced.....let me know if i am wrong.....PS thinking about going with Kibbelwhite valve and spring kit for a winter project.....any thoughts thanks in advance for not chewing me up too bad if this info is bad.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-25-2012, 04:51 PM
Sid

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
skk700xx,
Sorry I can't help you with this specific problem but just wanted to let you know that this forum is here to help you. Never feel that you are going to be berated for any question you might have. I guarantee someone with the knowledge concerning your question will help you.
Welcome to the forum.
Sid
post #3 of 8 Old 10-25-2012, 07:26 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to smo0oth1
What is the reason for the question, Is it hard for the motor to turn over? The XX has a crappy battery from the factory that doesn't always perform as needed. If its just hard starts time to time I'd invest in a CBR1000r battery.

The decompression mechanism wouldn't have anything to do with it running under super cold condition either.

The Kibblewhite valves and springs would be a nice addition but wouldn't give you any performance gains. Is there any reasoning for changing them?

I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.

post #4 of 8 Old 10-25-2012, 08:56 PM

What exactly is the problem you are having?

I had removed the decompressioner all together in my Honda 400ex as it went bad and was making noise, Also on the HotCams for the 400ex the decompressioner is not used. I am sure this is the same for the 700xx but I have not had mine long enough to really have any problems with it yet.

As for the Kibbelwhite valves & springs, I have them in my Yamaha Warrior 350 and they work well for me.

2008 700XX - OMF Beadlocks w/Billet Centers & Reinforcement Rings, Kenda Kutters, CCP Steering Stabilizer, ASV F3 Levers, ODI Rouge lock-on grips, Houser Bounce Nerf Bars, Pro Armor skid pad, UNI Filter
2007 400EX - CCP Steering Stabilizer, GT Thunder 450R Shocks, 450R Rear Brake Conversion, YFZ450 Front Brake Conversion, ProTaper Bars, Rath Racing Nerf Bars, Alba Elite Bumper, ASV F3 Levers, ODI Rouge lock-on grips, UNI Filter, Kenda Kutters, Pro Armor skid pad, Armadillo Swing Arm skid pad
post #5 of 8 Old 10-26-2012, 08:42 AM

decomp is a offset weight that only activates during slow rpm on intial first couple revolutions after that the centrifical force should hold it open and lower the pin inside the cam that will push the rocker open to release comp. if one was sticking then thats an issue but it loses comp. if its not opening it will make it start hard but have no effect anywhere else. the pin can wear a groove in the rocker and be the fault for it not opeing so it may not be the decomp but the rocker face. also like said the batts in the xx are fairly weak so a upgrade there is a good idea

kibble valves on the xx have worked pretty well i dont use them in much else but the small yami engines like the warrior but them and the xx have a mamoth valve stem size so i havent been worried to much about a failure there

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 Old 10-26-2012, 09:50 AM

My seems to have a hard time turning over also until its warmed up. Once it fires up and idles for a few seconds it has no problem. I think my battery is crap though. I did the entire topend rebuild and have not road it in months and battery wasn't on a tender. It's fully charged now so this post got me curious to go home and see if the beast fires up.
post #7 of 8 Old 10-26-2012, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Baxter
I have found the valves need checking alot ,when they get outta spec ,hard starting and it doesn't seem to idle smoothly. Last time I checked mine it was 100psi.

2008 TT-ReXX , 2003 400ex and 2014 CRF250r.
Products used, abused and loved from:
Ed at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Alex at

Jim at

Kyle at

With out these guys , it would not be as much fun.
post #8 of 8 Old 10-26-2012, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
I have found the valves need checking alot ,when they get outta spec ,hard starting and it doesn't seem to idle smoothly. Last time I checked mine it was 100psi.
i came to the same conclusion about the valves you are exactly right . i had the same prob when valves are out of spec it does what bax said. mine had the same prob when my valves needed to be adjusted!

08 700XX PRM Six Pack Rack Hardline hour meter EHS EFI Controller EHS Lid with side vents Barker Full Exhaust Uni Air Filter alba nerfs elka stg4 fronts sti rims kutter front gbcxrex rear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode