Just bought a 700xx and need some advice - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 11-10-2012, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just bought a 700xx and need some advice

I just purchased my 700xx from an older guy who bought it New from the dealer in 2010. He said it only had maybe 2 hours ride time at max. So when I went to pick it up there wasnt even a scratch on it and the tires still had some of the little spikes on them. It started up nice and fast. I Rode it down the street and got on it pretty good and everything was good. When I got back to the guys driveway he looked alittle upset and told me that the quad has never even seen 3rd gear so thats when I handed him $3000cash. I rode the 700xx around my house acouple times before I got to take It out for my first ride. So it had been about a week since I bought it and I took it out to my land about 360acres and I didnt ride it more than 3hrs and loaded it up and took it home. The next day I went out to the garage and saw a decent pile of oil under my quad and noticed alot of oil in the back of my truck. I traced the oil leak too the line coming out of the oil reservoir and into the engine. I pulled the line out where it conects to the engine and replaced the O ring and that fixed the Oil leak. I then changed the oil and put a new oil filer in. So that was my 1st problem I had. So since then I had rode it around my house ( about 5 acres ) and took it out to a popular riding area thats close and rode there for about 5 or 6 hours and all was still good. So now there is about 15hrs max and maybe 3 tanks of gas. Yesturday I was riding around my house and I have some woods that are really thick and I found my self stuck on pretty step hill. I was having to use the clutch alot and going into reverse and 1st gear to get my self turned around and before I did that I started to smell somethin funny and my clutch handle got hard to pull in and it wouldnt start to move unless the clutch lever was totally out. So today I went out to see if it was still doing it and it was. So I got on some forums and did some reading and downloaded a service manual. So I figured the clutch needed adjusted after reading everything. I then followed the steps and got it adjusted out. It takes off like normal and is easy to pull in but it just dosent feel the same and after adjusting the smell did go away. So after I adjusted it out and put all the tools up I took it out and I feel like it dosent have power. Its not even wanting to pull the front wheels. I have no idea whats wrong and need some help. Only mods I have done is a 13tooth front sprocket and nerf bars all stock besides that. I use to own a 07 trx450 before this 700 and never had any problems with it tell I over shot a double and bent my axle lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-10-2012, 07:12 PM

sounds to me like your clutch is toast, ive read alot of clutch issues on here and im experiencing them myself. i put the kit that EHS offers in it and it hasnt been right since then, gonna try the hinson kit next and im pretty sure other stuff will be worn out in there also.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-10-2012, 09:37 PM
Sid

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
700xxTrailRider,
Did you install the 13T sprocket before the ill fated hill climb? The reason I ask is if you still had the 14T unit on the machine it wouldn't surprise me that you had trouble. The first gear IMHO is not worth a darn for slow hill climbing or sightseeing. You would have to play with the clutch continuously to get to the top of the hill or, for that matter, just plodding along. The machine has little torque at slow speed in first gear with the 14T going up hill unless your flying already. That clutch would catch hell under those circumstances.
Sid

post #4 of 8 Old 11-11-2012, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraiolib View Post
sounds to me like your clutch is toast, ive read alot of clutch issues on here and im experiencing them myself. i put the kit that EHS offers in it and it hasnt been right since then, gonna try the hinson kit next and im pretty sure other stuff will be worn out in there also.
what does the ehs kit consist of? sounds like 700xxtrailrider has burned his fiber plates up

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
08 700XX PRM Six Pack Rack Hardline hour meter EHS EFI Controller EHS Lid with side vents Barker Full Exhaust Uni Air Filter alba nerfs elka stg4 fronts sti rims kutter front gbcxrex rear
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-11-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird88 View Post
what does the ehs kit consist of? sounds like 700xxtrailrider has burned his fiber plates up
it eliminates the judder spring, comes with all OEM plates, 3 OEM springs and 3 stiffer springs. if you need stiffer springs, if not then you can get all OEM springs or if you need it way stronger you can get all 6 stiffer springs. my wheeler had very little time on it when i got it and my first ride with it the clutch was slipping so i had to get the stiffer springs
post #6 of 8 Old 11-11-2012, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Baxter
The problem with the clutch is it needs very little wear for it to slip. I've had mine 3 years of racing and burnt my first clutch out this year. To explain things in detail is hard to explain but I will try. If you burn a 700xx clutch and try removing all play in the lever and cable and it still slips, you end up with slightly worn fiber plates and the steels turn blue. You try the same trick say on a CR125 and you end with 15(?) blue'd steel plates that are seriously warped and basically scrap. The clutch needs modifing to get the best out of it . IMO.

It also needs very good quality oil to run correctly.Again IMO.

2008 TT-ReXX , 2003 400ex and 2014 CRF250r.
Products used, abused and loved from:
Ed at

Alex at

Jim at

Kyle at

With out these guys , it would not be as much fun.
post #7 of 8 Old 11-11-2012, 10:02 PM

Are you using the correct oil, it must be wet clutch safe. You can't use normal automotive motor oil. This will really burn up a clutch fast. If this is the problem I would just get a replacement stock clutch and change the oil & filter with the correct wet clutch safe oil. I use Honda HP4S oil in mine.

2008 700XX - OMF Beadlocks w/Billet Centers & Reinforcement Rings, Kenda Kutters, CCP Steering Stabilizer, ASV F3 Levers, ODI Rouge lock-on grips, Houser Bounce Nerf Bars, Pro Armor skid pad, UNI Filter
2007 400EX - CCP Steering Stabilizer, GT Thunder 450R Shocks, 450R Rear Brake Conversion, YFZ450 Front Brake Conversion, ProTaper Bars, Rath Racing Nerf Bars, Alba Elite Bumper, ASV F3 Levers, ODI Rouge lock-on grips, UNI Filter, Kenda Kutters, Pro Armor skid pad, Armadillo Swing Arm skid pad
post #8 of 8 Old 11-12-2012, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ba9801 View Post
Are you using the correct oil, it must be wet clutch safe. You can't use normal automotive motor oil. This will really burn up a clutch fast. If this is the problem I would just get a replacement stock clutch and change the oil & filter with the correct wet clutch safe oil. I use Honda HP4S oil in mine.
^^^^^^^^
What he said, this is what I was thinking right off. Cause no way should you of burned up a clutch that fast on a slightly used Trx700. I've been climbing hills in mine for over 2 years now.

#1 2008 Honda Trx700xx HMF Performance Exhaust, PCV, Stroked 710cc, 10.5:1 Wiseco Piston, Frt Elka Stage 4's, Fox Podium X rear's, EHS Lid, L8ton 11/16" sway bar, DG 6 Pack Rack, PRM Desert II Bumper & Front Skids.
#2 2008 Trx700xx AMR Reaper, Ehs Big 3, P/P head, Xcalibur Cam, Hard Welded Rockers, +1 In/Ex Valves, +3 Throttle body, 11:1 CP Piston, Elka Stage 3 Legacy Shocks, L8ton 11/16th Sway Bar, PRM Front Skids, Desert II Bumper & Rear Utility Rack.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode