Gas in crankcase - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 03-06-2013, 03:06 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
headscratch Gas in crankcase

A small problem I've had recently. I went for a ride on weekend, had a good 3-hrs drive around local spots, checked the oil afterwards and it was a lot higher than the maximum. It smelled gas as well.

I heard from MX guys that such a problem occurs to injector 4T engines in low temperatures. It was -8 C on that day. So yesterday I changed the oil, put a new Motul 10W40 oil designed specially for quad engines. The old oil looked like watered down. So I am a bit worried if that didn't hurt the engine and how it coud be avoided in the future (I heard radiator should be closed with carton sheets in low temperatures)? I'm wondering if similar effects were experienced anywhere else and if there are any aftermarket solutions to that problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-06-2013, 06:00 AM

Send a message via AIM to crwh45
I know there was problems on the trx450s of gas getting into the oil, but only due to prolonged wheelies. Other than that, I haven't heard of anything. I've had my XX out many times in the wintern, for 8 hours or more on the lakes pulling people on tubes and whatnot, and I am sure it was -8C or colder through out the whole day.

I've never heard of closing the radiator either. I for one, wouldn't suggest it. They have the radiator there for a reason.

2008 700xx; Power Bomb header with power core 4 exhaust, Power Programmer III, pro armor nerfs, prm products control front and rear bumpers and full skid, 10" ITP rears, ITP Baja's fronts, RZR 2's all the way around, Uni filter, 13t sprocket, CCP steering Damper, DS450 shock swap, Dual Gasser Throttle, bar risers and Moose barkBusters. 730XX kit plus other engine mods!
post #3 of 16 Old 03-06-2013, 06:26 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I was trying wheelies on that day too btw, very short though. But I don't think it's the reason in my case, because I heard about oil getting into the crankcase from a few CRF450R guys. And I was told it did due to engines having not heated enough at low temperature. It was explained to me that the breather pipe gets frozen and the ECU orders to enrich the fuel mix, which in the end gets into crankcase somehow (through the piston? 0o). So I'm bit dazzled here too, because I have never heard that from quad guys, let alone XX.

Anyway could I have done some serious damage to engine running on such oil mix (around half liter of gas I believe)? Have not ridden it yet after the oil change.

post #4 of 16 Old 03-06-2013, 07:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to crwh45
I've never heard of that before, but it makes sense. I'd probably change the oil twice before running it. Change it once with a cheaper oil, just warm it up a little and let it idle, shut down and change again. Be sure to get all the gas out of it, like you would if perhaps you had got water in it. Like I said, I've never had this happen, but that's what I'd do. If you did to damage, I'd assume it would only be to the top end.

But when I lived in NH, I had my XX out every weekend on the frozen lake, or hitting the power lines and never had a problem with it, and some days it was 0F or below.

2008 700xx; Power Bomb header with power core 4 exhaust, Power Programmer III, pro armor nerfs, prm products control front and rear bumpers and full skid, 10" ITP rears, ITP Baja's fronts, RZR 2's all the way around, Uni filter, 13t sprocket, CCP steering Damper, DS450 shock swap, Dual Gasser Throttle, bar risers and Moose barkBusters. 730XX kit plus other engine mods!
post #5 of 16 Old 03-06-2013, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

I should have done this probably, now I'll be watching that it doesn't repeat for some reason. I mean I had been riding in much colder conditions as well like -20C and nothing happened.
post #6 of 16 Old 03-06-2013, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by v3rGUN View Post
I should have done this probably, now I'll be watching that it doesn't repeat for some reason. I mean I had been riding in much colder conditions as well like -20C and nothing happened.
did you ride wheelies that day and it didnt do it when it was -20C, if you rode wheelies that day and it was alright then it is probaly the ecu prob you were talking about the 450 R guys having i dont have them problems as were i live it hardly ever gets below 30F!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
08 700XX PRM Six Pack Rack Hardline hour meter EHS EFI Controller EHS Lid with side vents Barker Full Exhaust Uni Air Filter alba nerfs elka stg4 fronts sti rims kutter front gbcxrex rear
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 16 Old 03-06-2013, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird88 View Post
as were i live it hardly ever gets below 30F!

KASH 2011
post #8 of 16 Old 03-06-2013, 09:24 PM

The only two places for gas to get in the oil is either through the cylinder or the crankcase breather in the airbox right?

If you had that much blow by in the cylinder I would have to think you would have noticed it. Did you notice any performance difference? Did you look in your air box and see if your filter had been douched with gas?

When I have frozen crankcase vents closed on other bikes, usually a seal has blown.

KASH 2011
post #9 of 16 Old 03-06-2013, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird88 View Post
did you ride wheelies that day and it didnt do it when it was -20C, if you rode wheelies that day and it was alright then it is probaly the ecu prob you were talking about the 450 R guys having i dont have them problems as were i live it hardly ever gets below 30F!
No it was the first time I tried wheelies, no more than 2-3 metres though. I still think it is an ecu issue.
post #10 of 16 Old 03-06-2013, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEHonda View Post
The only two places for gas to get in the oil is either through the cylinder or the crankcase breather in the airbox right?

If you had that much blow by in the cylinder I would have to think you would have noticed it. Did you notice any performance difference? Did you look in your air box and see if your filter had been douched with gas?

When I have frozen crankcase vents closed on other bikes, usually a seal has blown.
Exactly, but no effect on performance was noted whatsoever, at least no negative one. I was hitting big jumps and power lines as I normally do, and everything seemed fine with the output.

Air box was not checked. Good point!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode