LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 07-01-2009, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Sid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Question 14 Tooth Vs 13 Tooth

To All,
I know this has been presented before but I really need some help.
After reading the previous threads I am torn between keeping the original 14 tooth sprocket and changing to a 13 tooth one. My riding is mostly desert hills, sand, some rocks and a lot of sight-seeing. The 700xx is definitely not geared for this. I am shifting too much and getting tired of not having the power when I need it. By the time I get home, I'm worn out and unhappy with the machine. My Grizzly 660 works well for me but I realize it is a CVT transmission and not a sport quad.
My question for you is, does the 13 tooth sprocket really give you the low end torque as many indicate or is it not worth it given the riding scenario I described?
I am not opposed to having good top end but would rather have what I described.
Thanks for your help.
Sid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 07-01-2009, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Just spent 2 back to back days riding with my 13 tooth in an area much like you described. It's the way to go for sure.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #3 of 30 Old 07-01-2009, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
IMO, i love my 13t, its geared really good for trail riding and i use it for mudding.. we ride a lot of long distance trails and it is nice to have the top end sometimes, but, when have you ever been riding a backwoods atv trail pinned in 5th gear? personally i have never been in that situation, there are too many variables that make that extremely stupid where we ride. if i were you, id go 13t.

post #4 of 30 Old 07-01-2009, 04:32 PM

I think that it would suit you just fine, but you will still need to be in the right gear for the situation. I can't remember ever not having enough power with either sprocket, but maybe I just run it at higher rpm's than you.

The best part is that it is a very inexpensive and easy to do mod, so go for it and if you don't like it you are only out $15 until you resell it on here.
post #5 of 30 Old 07-01-2009, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Sid

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
All,
Thanks for the advice. I am going to order the 13t. I see it is not a big job to change so it is worth the gamble.
TripleXX, you are right on the money with the rpm issue. I only have 15 hours on the machine and am really unsure how much stress I can put on the XX engine at this time. It sure sounds like it really straining when asked to peak out. It would be nice if it had some gauges or indicators other than just lights. I did install an hour meter so I can the monitor the hours for maintenance purposes.
Thanks again,
Sid

Last edited by Sid; 07-01-2009 at 06:44 PM.
post #6 of 30 Old 07-01-2009, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I agree with the 13t sprocket. I did it and it give you massive amounts of low end. I just spent 2 days (120+ miles) riding the Hatfield McCoy trails in West Virginia and it is great for that type of riding. But the biggest plus is that you can lug it down low in the rpm's in 1st without clutching like you would have to do with the 14t. But its so simple to change that if by some chance you didn't like it (highly doubt) you can change it back to the 14t in about 10 mins.

2008 Honda 700xx Red/Black, Full Alba Exhaust, UNI Filter, EHS Lid, PC3, 13T Front,Pro Armor Pro XC Bumper (BIGGEST P.O.S EVER MADE), Pro Armor Full Chassis/Swing Arm Skids, PRM A-Arm Skids, Maxxis RAZR fronts and rears. In the works, ported/polished head, custom cam, ported T/B.

1997 Toyota Supra Black/Black with a little boost and 1300 hp
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 Mustang Cobra ditched the S/C for a 80mm hairdryer
2007 Yamaha R1 Charcoal/Black
2013 BMW 335 Coupe Deep Sea Blue/Black
post #7 of 30 Old 07-01-2009, 09:02 PM

I have thenthe 13t but haven't installed it yet. How much top end you lose? I'm clocking in the 80's consistantly with the 14t.

2Bros Exhaust, 2Bros Juice Box, UNI Filter, Renthal 13t Front Sprocket, TrailTech Vapor, TrailTech Logo Bar Clamp, DWT Rims, Maxxis Razr Tires, Tusk Chubb Bars, ProGrip Hand Grips, Pro Grip Lever Grips, PowerMadd Hand Guards, PowerMadd Mirrors, PowerMadd Hand Wraps, AMR Racing Graphics, Pro Armour Bullhorn Bumper, Ricochet Skids
post #8 of 30 Old 07-01-2009, 09:38 PM

Ur gonna loose some but if u ride any hills and or techinical trails its the best thing u can do to ur xx. Like 3svts says u can lug it in frist alot! i dont even have to throttle mine up to take off. It'll take off idleing. I love it!!!! So change it, U wont regret it.

700XX CRAZY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HMF Ballance slip-on
PCIII w/"BO MAP"
Outerwear Lid Mod (by me)
Trail Tech Riser
Chub Bars
HONDA Bar Pad
RAZR2 Fronts
RAZR Rears
Elephant Ear Hand Guards(LOL)
post #9 of 30 Old 07-01-2009, 10:10 PM

I just put a supersprox 13t on mine and it's definitely worth it . I ride most of the time in the Adirondacks and Alleghany mountains. Lots of technical trail riding and that change made a big difference. (and i can still smoke my friends 500 outlaw)
post #10 of 30 Old 07-01-2009, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith1575 View Post
(and i can still smoke my friends 500 outlaw)
lol, not a very difficult task if you ask me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode