Shocks and Stabilizer Enough? - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 05-19-2014, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Shocks and Stabilizer Enough?

I registered here 3 years ago and just purchased a XX. It is a fairly low time unit with HMF header,pipe and efi controller. I took it out to my favorite riding spot, along with my Sportsman 850XP EPS. I was hoping for a ride quality somewhere between my old 400EX and my current Polaris Sportsman XP. It quickly became obvious that I set my expectations for the IRS and the XX a little too high.

First, the power steering on my last 2 quads had spoiled me a bit. I had forgotten how much kickback there was on the bars in the rough sections. Will a CCP or Precision stabilizer tame the bar kick similar to EPS levels? Perhaps a 23" front tire, flexible bars or mounts, or thicker grips to help in that regard? My wrists were hurting pretty bad after 10 miles or so.

Second, what can I say here. I'm 38 trying to ride these trails like I did 20 years ago. The suspension, especially the front, was beating me to death. I hit a few jumps, but never bottomed out the suspension. I have a little over $3K in the bike, so putting another $3K into the suspension isn't real high on my priorities. Are the DS450 shocks my only real option here? The Fox Float shocks look interesting, and would be at the upper limit of what I would want to spend. But if they could get me a soft smooth ride I would spend the money.

Thank,
Magnetic
Baton Rouge, LA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 05-19-2014, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You can get Elkas.

Some have also tried Polaris Outlaw shocks.
https://www.club700xx.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5923

Currently: 400ex, Lexx MXe, K&N w/outerwears
Outlaw 525 IRS

Save the Oregon Dunes!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 Old 05-19-2014, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Garage
The DS-450 is a great mod! And I think someone has a set listed here for sale. The floats are shorter than stock, and unless I had a junk set (which is possible) I could never get the ride height tall enough. I like the Elka's I have and you can get a full set of stage 3's for around $1595 I think. But knowing what I know now (which isn't much) I would of stuck with my old ds-450's. If you can find a set of the XMX like these, I'd bet there awesome...And keep the other $1400 in your pocket or maybe send the rears off to have them set up, for $400 to $500.00 As far as the steering I'm stock and have to complaints...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATV-Quad-CAN...799d1b&vxp=mtr

#1 2008 Honda Trx700xx HMF Performance Exhaust, PCV, Stroked 710cc, 10.5:1 Wiseco Piston, Frt Elka Stage 4's, Fox Podium X rear's, EHS Lid, L8ton 11/16" sway bar, DG 6 Pack Rack, PRM Desert II Bumper & Front Skids.
#2 2008 Trx700xx AMR Reaper, Ehs Big 3, P/P head, Xcalibur Cam, Hard Welded Rockers, +1 In/Ex Valves, +3 Throttle body, 11:1 CP Piston, Elka Stage 3 Legacy Shocks, L8ton 11/16th Sway Bar, PRM Front Skids, Desert II Bumper & Rear Utility Rack.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 20 Old 05-23-2014, 03:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
There's also the LTR450 front shocks as well if you can get a set cheap, easy mod, much better than stockers, not sure how they compare to the DS shocks.

Happy trails..........
Priesty.

2008 700xx,
LTR front shocks, ccp damper, Fasst flexx bars, 13t front cog, Lexx slip-on & controller, K&N filter, L8ton 9/16" swaybar, Pro armor nerfs & skids, Texiera front upper arms, IMS tank, Maier plastics (Red), HCC custom seat cover.

My Flickr sets:

post #5 of 20 Old 05-25-2014, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
try ds450 , they are really great for less than 200$ you must grind it to fit , very easy . when I set them half stiff , the rear slide easily
post #6 of 20 Old 05-26-2014, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm running Elka stage 3's fully adjustable all the way around, the CCP stabilizer and a L8ton 9/16 sway bar. Its a whole new machine. Probably into the whole set up for about 2k...

When in doubt... Punch it!!!
post #7 of 20 Old 06-09-2014, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

I found some low time 2009 LTR450 shocks and they will be here today or tomorrow. I'll throw up some pics once I get them installed.

I had found a post a couple weeks ago while searching here where someone moved the stock front shocks springs to the rear to soften it up, but I can't find it again. I plan to do the same thing and I'll post that up as well.

I'm hoping these two mods will give me a ride closer to what I was looking for when I bought the XX.

Last edited by Magnetic; 06-09-2014 at 01:17 PM.
post #8 of 20 Old 06-09-2014, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I fitted a l8yton antisway bar and what a difference..
Just replaced the rear 11" rims (rubbish tyre selection avaiable) and put on 10" A pair of maxxis razr2,s and wow, another better transformation !
so much easier to power slide in corners..
Have totally stock suspension, I ride it like i stole it, am 50 yrs old and have no issues riding 150 miles in a day ! (other than my ass starts to kill me... haha)
post #9 of 20 Old 06-10-2014, 04:59 PM

I was probably the one you saw post about that. If you find a cheap set of front shocks, as long as the springs are good, you can run those springs on the back.

08 700xx,HMF Ballance Exhaust,HMF Optimizer,Honda Racing Skids, J&J A-Arm Skid Plates, Grip Heaters,13 Tooth Sprocket,Prm Six Pack Rack,6000k Hi/Lo HID lights,22x9-11 Kenda Kutters- summer,24x10-11 GBC Gators- winter,Trail Tech Voyager, Powermadd Handgaurds, Front Springs on All 4 Corners, GBC X-Rex 23x7-10, UNI Air Filter, Custom Outerwears Pre-Filter for a UNI,Odi Rouge Grips,Reverse Rev Limiter on a Switch,L8ton 11/16 Sway Bar
post #10 of 20 Old 06-10-2014, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAVEN7786 View Post
I was probably the one you saw post about that. If you find a cheap set of front shocks, as long as the springs are good, you can run those springs on the back.
My LTR450 shocks arrived today, so I will have a set of front springs at my disposal.

Magnetic
2008 Honda 700XX Full HMF Exhaust & Optimizer, LTR450 Front Shocks and Front Springs on Rear Shocks, UNI, 13T Sprocket.
2012 Polaris Sportsman 850XP LE
2008 Honda TRX250EX
2000 Yamaha Breeze 125

Frequently Riding Camp Claiborne, Camp Livingston and Sandstone Trails
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode