DS450 Shock Swap Help! - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 08-21-2014, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS450 Shock Swap Help!

I've got one side pretty much where it needs to be mount wise but it bottoms out and the spanners are all the way up. This shock looks WAY too long. I read in another thread they're the same height as the XX shock (same length)... I don't think so. Here are some pics - am I doing something wrong?!

Not much travel left and I know the small spring and plastic piece are still there but wouldn't that help it?

Not the same height.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Honda TRX700XX | 13t Sprocket | HID Headlights | Steering Dampner | ITP Baja Fronts / ITP Pro's Rear | Maxxis RAZR2's all the way around!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-21-2014, 10:13 PM

They are longer than stock shocks. Quite a bit longer. Here is how I have mine set up for a 260 pound rider doing mostly trails but some decent sized jumps: the rear shocks at about halfway through the preload adjustment, front shocks 4 threads visible on the preload adjustment with 7 clicks of compression and two clicks of rebound.

The front end will sit higher. Just remember to set the preload on the front end so that between 25-35% of the travel used just by the weight of the atv with you on it and you will be good.

It will handle quite a bit different and make you want a sway bar more (now that there is more weight shifted to the rear of the four wheeler) but it is WAY better than stock.
post #3 of 14 Old 08-21-2014, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

That's the problem, the front end doesn't sit any higher. Even if I put 4 threads on that, it's the bottom part of the shock that is still an issue.

Are you sure you got the X MX shocks? Because look how much of the shaft is sticking out on all of the pics in the big DS450 thread vs this. If I stand on the front - and i'm only 200lbs, it sinks all the way to the rubber bump stop in the shock.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Honda TRX700XX | 13t Sprocket | HID Headlights | Steering Dampner | ITP Baja Fronts / ITP Pro's Rear | Maxxis RAZR2's all the way around!

Last edited by 5W0P3; 08-21-2014 at 10:20 PM.

post #4 of 14 Old 08-21-2014, 10:18 PM

Also, if you compress the front spring a bit on the factory shock, you will see a large nut. This is what you will have to unscrew to get the spring off. Use a screwdriver or pry bar to compress the spring away from the eye, I used my hand and squished it pretty good.
post #5 of 14 Old 08-21-2014, 10:22 PM

Here is mine from the other thread:

I would say, put the factory springs on them, set them at 4 visible threads of preload and see where that gets you. I know that I thought I didn't have any travel left until I had my wife measure the sag and overall travel to set ride height.

Just look at the angle of the A-arms between yours and mine.

Last edited by Wroughndt; 08-21-2014 at 10:25 PM.
post #6 of 14 Old 08-21-2014, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Yours looks like 4" of travel. Mine has maybe 1.5" of travel.

post #7 of 14 Old 08-21-2014, 10:30 PM

Swap the springs and put some preload on them, that should fix your issue.
post #8 of 14 Old 08-22-2014, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

I got one swapped, it seemed to help and at least be rideable now. It would not have been with the DS spring. Those XX springs are A LOT stiffer than the DS springs. I could hand compress the DS ones but had to get ratchet straps to compress the XX one.

post #9 of 14 Old 08-22-2014, 08:21 PM

Yepper, much stiffer. Don't worry too much about the travel either. Just sitting there it doesn't look like much but once you take it off of the first jump you will see that there is lots of travel.
post #10 of 14 Old 09-19-2014, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Finally got everything finished up last night. Pre-load has 7 threads on it. All clickers are halfway at 11 right now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode