User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 10-22-2014, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
TRX700XX Lowering

Hey all, I was wondering what advice you folks have concerning lowering the TRX700XX? I have an 08 and I like the bike, but usually prefer riding my 04 TRX450R. The main reason is that I feel like I sit tall on the TRX700XX. Can the 700XX be lowered a bunch by swapping the stock shocks out for shorter ones and if so, what brand / model would you suggest? I have heard of lowering links, but the disclaimers always say not to jump with the lowering links on. I want to be able to jump my 700. Any advice would be appreciated. Pete

Own:
2004 TRX450R ATV
2004 Pilot EX-L SUV
2008 Ridgeline RTL Truck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 10-23-2014, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Lowering is usually for road use.. why would you want to lower yet still do jumps?
Like the raptor the honda is more of a cross country machine and i wonder how long the frame will last if you do lots of large jumps..
You can break a raptor one within 10 mins on a moto-x track.. but never really heard of a broken one when just racing enduro/trails.
Some complain of bottoming out on jumps so wonder how it will effect you if you were to make it lower?
post #3 of 28 Old 10-23-2014, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rappey View Post
Lowering is usually for road use.. why would you want to lower yet still do jumps?
Like the raptor the honda is more of a cross country machine and i wonder how long the frame will last if you do lots of large jumps..
You can break a raptor one within 10 mins on a moto-x track.. but never really heard of a broken one when just racing enduro/trails.
Some complain of bottoming out on jumps so wonder how it will effect you if you were to make it lower?
The majority of my riding is on the sand dunes here in Oregon. Having a lower center of gravity is nice not only for racing on the dunes, but also for all the technical stuff, like dune climbs, etc. With IRS in the rear, there already is a great amount of clearance. Even if the TRX700XX was dropped two inches you would have just as much or more clearance than a TRX450R or YFZ450. As for the bottoming out during jumps, I suspect that is with stock suspension, but I could be wrong.

Own:
2004 TRX450R ATV
2004 Pilot EX-L SUV
2008 Ridgeline RTL Truck

post #4 of 28 Old 11-10-2014, 08:39 PM

Hey guys I'm loo although to drop down my machine but for other reasons I'm lookin to run in dirt drag any advice for the front, maybe I can't drop back the machine by struts but the front I want some movements.
post #5 of 28 Old 11-20-2014, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete.Felten View Post
The majority of my riding is on the sand dunes here in Oregon. Having a lower center of gravity is nice not only for racing on the dunes, but also for all the technical stuff, like dune climbs, etc. With IRS in the rear, there already is a great amount of clearance. Even if the TRX700XX was dropped two inches you would have just as much or more clearance than a TRX450R or YFZ450. As for the bottoming out during jumps, I suspect that is with stock suspension, but I could be wrong.
Dude, you are correct. These things have more than enough height to take on pretty much anything and everything the trail dishes out. Unlike some people on here, I will give it to you straight, no b.s. YES you can lower it and I have with no detrimental effects. I took mine down around 1" in the front and about 1 1/4" in the rear. I do of course have Elka Stage 3 shocks and Laegers A-Arms. I actually spoke with a guy at iShock and he gave me a direct line to his connection at Elka. They were all extremely helpful, gave me sound advice and helped me "re-set" my personalized Elka factory shock settings to my new setup.

I live in TN where there the riding can get pretty nasty.. lots of rocks, tree roots, mud, small children. Seriously though. Many people may give you grief, but I have no problems getting anywhere I want to go.

On another note, not sure if you mentioned what shocks you own, but if they are stock about the only thing you can do is adjust your stock pre-load. be warned, that this will effect your ride since there is no adjustment for compression or rebound.

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Where you come from is gone. Where you thought you were going to weren't never there, and where youíre at ain't no good unless you can get away from it!
post #6 of 28 Old 11-21-2014, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Amerikanzero ... Thanks for the advice and information. It is much appreciated. I will give your suggestions a try.

Own:
2004 TRX450R ATV
2004 Pilot EX-L SUV
2008 Ridgeline RTL Truck
post #7 of 28 Old 11-21-2014, 06:07 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Baxter
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsantos View Post
Hey guys I'm loo although to drop down my machine but for other reasons I'm lookin to run in dirt drag any advice for the front, maybe I can't drop back the machine by struts but the front I want some movements.
TRX450r front stock shocks are about 2" shorter , you want lower the go for a set of 300ex front shocks.

2008 TT-ReXX , 2003 400ex and 2014 CRF250r.
Products used, abused and loved from:
Ed at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Alex at

Jim at

Kyle at

With out these guys , it would not be as much fun.
post #8 of 28 Old 11-21-2014, 06:21 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Baxter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete.Felten View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amerikanzero View Post
Dude, you are correct. These things have more than enough height to take on pretty much anything and everything the trail dishes out. Unlike some people on here, I will give it to you straight, no b.s. YES you can lower it and I have with no detrimental effects. I took mine down around 1" in the front and about 1 1/4" in the rear. I do of course have Elka Stage 3 shocks and Laegers A-Arms. I actually spoke with a guy at iShock and he gave me a direct line to his connection at Elka. They were all extremely helpful, gave me sound advice and helped me "re-set" my personalized Elka factory shock settings to my new setup.

I live in TN where there the riding can get pretty nasty.. lots of rocks, tree roots, mud, small children. Seriously though. Many people may give you grief, but I have no problems getting anywhere I want to go.

On another note, not sure if you mentioned what shocks you own, but if they are stock about the only thing you can do is adjust your stock pre-load. be warned, that this will effect your ride since there is no adjustment for compression or rebound.

Good luck!
You guys play with lowering the Rex.I did too !

There is a way of lowering the rear by cutting and redrilling the clevis on the rear shock. I'll put a picture up later.

2008 TT-ReXX , 2003 400ex and 2014 CRF250r.
Products used, abused and loved from:
Ed at

Alex at

Jim at

Kyle at

With out these guys , it would not be as much fun.

Last edited by Baxter; 11-22-2014 at 04:24 AM.
post #9 of 28 Old 12-03-2014, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Garage
Nice. Lets ee the pics!

Where you come from is gone. Where you thought you were going to weren't never there, and where youíre at ain't no good unless you can get away from it!
post #10 of 28 Old 05-26-2015, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
You guys play with lowering the Rex.I did too !

There is a way of lowering the rear by cutting and redrilling the clevis on the rear shock. I'll put a picture up later.
its later , were are the pic's please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode