User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 10-29-2014, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Garage
Long Travel A-Arms W/ Standrad Length Shocks

Hey Team! It's been a while since I have been on here due to the recent addition of twin girls to my brood. Time and money don't seem to be a plentiful as it used to be. Anyway, I will get to my point and my question.

I ordered a full set of Elka stage 3 shocks and the standard travel Texiera Tech A-arms, oh about 3 years ago. Since then I have been dabbling in some XC and hair-scrambles here and there and much to my surprise I have been moving up in classes and ranking higher with each race. I never gave much though to long travel arms (living in TN most of my riding is in cramped woods or tight trails) until I rode my nephews machine with some Housers, and Wow! What a difference. I noticed it immediately. After some laps and some woods runs I decided that I could get by with some after all.

So, my question is: Does anyone make long travel arms that can be adjusted and/or modified to fit standard length shocks? As I stated previously, I have only had these (Elka 3's) for a couple years and I take very good care of my bike and equipment. It would be a shame to have to dish out a couple of grand for new ones. Especially when I will be having buy TWO new bikes in the next couple years.

Any help and or comments are welcome.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Where you come from is gone. Where you thought you were going to weren't never there, and where you’re at ain't no good unless you can get away from it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-29-2014, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Subscribing....

Been looking at the Teixeira arms and even e-mailed them, with no reply yet.

Saw this build that really got me excited about the same thing...
http://atvondemand.com/kawasaki-kfx4...tocross-build/
post #3 of 15 Old 10-29-2014, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Well, what you are asking isn't really possible. "Long Travel" arms use a longer than stock shock. Long travel kind of drives me nuts, because in reality, you don't really get anymore travel. What they should be called is "long shock" and "standard shock" front ends.

Standard shock a-arms are designed to use oem shocks, so the a-arm manufacturer has to work around the oem geometry. Depending on the manufacturer, this may or may not be a good thing, depending on how good that geometry is to begin with.

A long shock front end allows the a-arm manufacturer to play around with shock mounting points, then determine what works best from a geometry stand point. By changing those lower shock mounts, the manufacturer can play with leverage ratio, bottomed out and extended frame height.

As long as the oem geometry is good and you have someone setting up the shocks that knows what they are doing, there is no reason that a standard shock front end can't work every bit as good as a long shock front end.

So you say you have Teixeira Tech standard travel a-arms, but since they don't make standard travel arms, guessing you just have the replacement uppers they sell? Really, the answer to your question is no, you can't use standard length shocks on a "long travel" front end because that "long travel" front end is designed to use longer than stock shocks. If you are looking for a better performing suspension, the easiest thing you can do is send the Elka's out to be resprung and revalved by a knowledgeable suspension guy. (I have owned a few sets of Elka's over the years, and while they are a good shock, their setup leaves a little to be desired. I have seen big improvements in having them reworked by someone who knows what they are doing.) You can also check your bottomed out and extended frame heights then compare to your current shocks to see where they stand. (Do a search for Maultech ATV, I believe he has a few videos on youtube that explain how to do this.) If you really want a long shock front end, then unfortunately, you will need to invest in new shocks.

Doug

2004 TRX450R, 2008 TRX700XX
(BITD #639 Quad Ironman Expert)

2015 sponsors: Teixeiratech.com, Motowoz.com, Snailmotorsports.com, My bank account.

2008 TRX700XX
2005 TRX450R
1986 TRX250R

post #4 of 15 Old 10-29-2014, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragula View Post
Subscribing....

Been looking at the Teixeira arms and even e-mailed them, with no reply yet.

Saw this build that really got me excited about the same thing...
http://atvondemand.com/kawasaki-kfx4...tocross-build/
What e-mail address did you use? Best bet is to call, Ed almost always answers the phone. Teixeira Tech is pretty much one guy, he has a few guys who work out in the shop from time to time, but the business/customer service side is just Ed.

Doug

2015 sponsors: Teixeiratech.com, Motowoz.com, Snailmotorsports.com, My bank account.

2008 TRX700XX
2005 TRX450R
1986 TRX250R
post #5 of 15 Old 10-30-2014, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Bergstrom View Post
What e-mail address did you use? Best bet is to call, Ed almost always answers the phone. Teixeira Tech is pretty much one guy, he has a few guys who work out in the shop from time to time, but the business/customer service side is just Ed.

Doug
Doug said it much better than I could in his 2 posts... but don't call this weekend (Oct. 31 - Nov. 2) Ed and family will probably be at the SORRA race @ Hollister Hills SVRA.

roadkill

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
"You lock the door and throw away the key. There's someone in my head, but it's not me."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
R. Waters
x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

post #6 of 15 Old 11-03-2014, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks guys!! Sorry, I don't come here much. I have been so swamped lately, that I don't have the time to get on forums too much anymore. Yes, if you need to get a hold of me, please email [email protected] or call 209-833-9160. The phone is the best way for the fastest response.

Ed Teixeira

post #7 of 15 Old 11-03-2014, 09:51 AM

He did finally e-mail me after I used his direct account....So I now have pricing.

My question is, do I need different axles with the rear and what do you do about the sway bar?

With the cost, I am probably looking to go only with the adjustable uppers and Motowoz shocks on all four but I have not pulled the trigger on anything yet.

Waiting to get some time to measure & see if I want to go with maybe the +1.25 long travel fronts only. My trail rims & tires makes the back wider already....So I might opt for just the front long travel or just the standard adjustable uppers so I can set the castor back a little...The back seems expensive to mess with....Anyone got pics of their 700xx with the +1.25" kit on the front?

Last edited by Dragula; 11-03-2014 at 10:04 AM.
post #8 of 15 Old 11-03-2014, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Maybe I could help answer some of your questions.

For the rear arms, yes you WILL need longer axles. They are included in rear A arm kits which is one of the reasons they cost more.

If your running 4:3 offset rear rims and don't plan on getting aftermarket rear arms then 1.25 would probably be the perfect width for the front of your XX. A wider front is ideal but you want to be atleast the same width in the front as the rear so the inch and a quarter arms will put you at around 49 inches front and rear if you use stock offset front rims.

Last edited by Jmm24; 11-03-2014 at 01:28 PM.
post #9 of 15 Old 11-03-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmm24 View Post
Maybe I could help answer some of your questions.

For the rear arms, yes you WILL need longer axles. They are included in rear A arm kits which is one of the reasons they cost more.

If your running 4:3 offset rear rims and don't plan on getting aftermarket rear arms then 1.25 would probably be the perfect width for the front of your XX. A wider front is ideal but you want to be atleast the same width in the front as the rear so the inch and a quarter arms will put you at around 49 inches front and rear if you use stock offset front rims.
Ahh...so the rear kit comes with the axles....
What about the sway bar then?

And I have a set of after market rims that I think make the rear a little wider that I trail ride with. They are not OEM rims & tires. The OEM wheels & tires I do have I use for around the house so I don't kill the tread on the new tires...
post #10 of 15 Old 11-03-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragula View Post
Ahh...so the rear kit comes with the axles....
What about the sway bar then?

And I have a set of after market rims that I think make the rear a little wider that I trail ride with. They are not OEM rims & tires. The OEM wheels & tires I do have I use for around the house so I don't kill the tread on the new tires...
You can use the stock sway bar. You can not use a L8ton sway bar. If you look at your oem sway bar and a-arms, you see the sway bar end link is at a pretty good angle. The L8ton sway bar was designed to avoid this, and Ed also designed his a-arms to address this. Problem is, now each part won't work together. (the L8ton sway bar is to short to connect to Ed's arms.) I run a 9/16" L8ton bar with my Teixeira Tech rear arms, but I had L8ton custom make me a bar. (The ends were lengthened to match more closely to the oem bar.) I am guessing L8ton still has the specs for mine, if you do run Ed's rear arms and feel you need a stiffer bar. Not really sure the stiffer bar was needed, but since I paid for it, might as well run it.

Doug

2008 TRX700XX
2005 TRX450R
1986 TRX250R

Last edited by D Bergstrom; 11-03-2014 at 06:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode