Best setup for Desert (Dunes) - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 01-18-2010, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Best setup for Desert (Dunes)

I'm new to the group and could use some advice on a good setup for sand. Going to Glamis next month where there are some pretty nice hill climbs. (Oldsmobile Hill, China Wall....) I can't afford a lot of mods at this time but would like to change front sprocket to a 13t and pickup paddle tires/wheels for the rear. Any thoughts from the group that has sand experience?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 01-18-2010, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Yes on the 13t. If you're NOT doing drag racing, I'd stay away from straight paddles. Paddle tires that have a "V" pattern are most sufficient for general dune riding and are smoother of a ride. ITP has a tire wheel kit that they sell for our quad. Sand Star tires mounted on ITP T-9 rims (I think) At any rate, these rims are 10" and the offset makes the quad wider in the back. However, this change in the offset is needed to clear your stock a-arms. You would also have to remove your mud scrapers in back. Try to get tires that are also 22"... The 13t will give you all the low end grunt you need.
Part numbers #44000R and #44000L
Here's a link....
http://www.itptires.com/honda_trx700...uct_update.htm

roadkill

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
"You lock the door and throw away the key. There's someone in my head, but it's not me."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
R. Waters
x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

post #3 of 22 Old 01-18-2010, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the post... I have been looking at the sand stars (22x11x10) on that wheel (10x7 with 4/144 bolt pattern and 4:3 offset). Does that sound right? I think that's the best fit. I think thatset comes shipped for around $310... We do some sand drags but it's mostly hill climbs and duning.

post #4 of 22 Old 01-18-2010, 02:49 PM

thats the exact setup im looking at getting, i definitely want to go with the 22" tire in the rear and prolly 21s up front. get the 13t sprocket for sure to go with those tires.

Last edited by mrtheandrew; 01-18-2010 at 05:22 PM.
post #5 of 22 Old 01-18-2010, 02:57 PM

for now dont worrie about front tires stock ones will do fine the 13t will give you all the pull you need to get up any hill. you can pull your air box lid off it will help a little bit out there as well. these are what i had when i took my first dune trips on the xx.

ENGINE:(57.87HP-LTP DYNO)12:1CP,STAGE 3 HOT CAM, PORT/POLISHED HEAD,HDD +3 TB, DMC AFTERBURNER FULL EXHAUST,PCV,MODQUAD K&N FILTER/MODIFIED AIR BOX,13T
SUSPENSION:ELKA STAGE 3 REAR STAGE 3 FRONT/HOUSER ARMS,L8TON SWAY BAR
ITP T-9 PROSERIES SKAT~TRACK EXTREAM HAULERS/MOHAWKS,RAZR/RAZR 2
ARMOR:PRO ARMOR FAT PEG NERF BARS
PRO ARMOR DOMINATOR FRONT BUMPER,PRM DESERT GRAB BAR,PRM FULL UNDER SKIDS,X-POSED SHOCK COVERS
CONTROL:PROTAPER EVO BARS,ODI GRIPS,TRAIL TECH HI-RISE BAR CLAMP,ALBA STEERING STABILIZER
LIGHTING:HID CONVERSION/LED ACCENT LIGHTS
LOOKS: AMR GRAPGICS/MAIER PLASTICS
post #6 of 22 Old 01-18-2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinhax View Post
I'm new to the group and could use some advice on a good setup for sand. Going to Glamis next month where there are some pretty nice hill climbs. (Oldsmobile Hill, China Wall....) I can't afford a lot of mods at this time but would like to change front sprocket to a 13t and pickup paddle tires/wheels for the rear. Any thoughts from the group that has sand experience?

Thanks!
13t for sure, I have 22x11x10 10 paddle haulers. Way too much traction for mine even with the big 3. I think the Sand Stars would be a good choice, I would get the 22 tall ones. I wouldn't worry about the fronts too much if anything get a pair of 23" Razr/Razr2's for the front, your gonna want them for all around riding later anyway. When are you going? I am going out to the Glamis area on Presidents day week end.

11:1, Web Stg2 cam, PCV, Powerbomb/Powercore4, Razr's all around. Air cleaner lid mod, Uni filter, HID Lighting, 6 pack rack, Motion Pro twist, L8ton 9/16, DS/Elka shocks, IMS Tank, Grip heaters

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by skier207; 01-18-2010 at 05:02 PM.
post #7 of 22 Old 01-18-2010, 10:27 PM

Sand Stars, tried mine out this last weekend, I love them. Here the link to my pictures of them on my 4-wheeler.
https://www.club700xx.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2161
post #8 of 22 Old 01-18-2010, 11:40 PM

happy haulers for me

i love my haulers they are the 22x11x10 10 paddle. I love them i would look to see if you could get the 8 paddle though they where on back order when i was looking or i would have got them i had sand stars and wasnt way to impressed i think the straight paddle dont push to much at all. i know i can climb more now then with the sand stars but the i havent been to glamis so i dont know how the sand is there. i do think you will be happy with what ever you get cuz it will be better then the stock tires Well happy shopping let us know how it goes.
post #9 of 22 Old 01-19-2010, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeo View Post
i love my haulers they are the 22x11x10 10 paddle. I love them i would look to see if you could get the 8 paddle though they where on back order when i was looking or i would have got them i had sand stars and wasnt way to impressed i think the straight paddle dont push to much at all. i know i can climb more now then with the sand stars but the i havent been to glamis so i dont know how the sand is there. i do think you will be happy with what ever you get cuz it will be better then the stock tires Well happy shopping let us know how it goes.
sorry bout this little off topic(please dont kill me) but how much you pay for ur haulers(rims and tires)??

ENGINE:(57.87HP-LTP DYNO)12:1CP,STAGE 3 HOT CAM, PORT/POLISHED HEAD,HDD +3 TB, DMC AFTERBURNER FULL EXHAUST,PCV,MODQUAD K&N FILTER/MODIFIED AIR BOX,13T
SUSPENSION:ELKA STAGE 3 REAR STAGE 3 FRONT/HOUSER ARMS,L8TON SWAY BAR
ITP T-9 PROSERIES SKAT~TRACK EXTREAM HAULERS/MOHAWKS,RAZR/RAZR 2
ARMOR:PRO ARMOR FAT PEG NERF BARS
PRO ARMOR DOMINATOR FRONT BUMPER,PRM DESERT GRAB BAR,PRM FULL UNDER SKIDS,X-POSED SHOCK COVERS
CONTROL:PROTAPER EVO BARS,ODI GRIPS,TRAIL TECH HI-RISE BAR CLAMP,ALBA STEERING STABILIZER
LIGHTING:HID CONVERSION/LED ACCENT LIGHTS
LOOKS: AMR GRAPGICS/MAIER PLASTICS

Last edited by RemingtonSteel; 01-19-2010 at 12:32 AM.
post #10 of 22 Old 01-19-2010, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the posts. Now I just have to find the T-9 Pro Series in stock. Went to order them and Rocky Mountain ATV is out. The gear leaves for Glamis in about 4 weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode