Do I really need new a-arms? - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 Old 02-12-2010, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do I really need new a-arms?

How many of you have aftermarket a-arms on your xx? I am getting ready to order some Elka shocks & they are trying to get me to think about about +2 a-arms before I order? Not just to increase the sale, but they say most people end up wanting or needing them & it is pain in @ss to have to re-do shock to match up with +2's & aftermarket arms.?

Would I ever really need them on xx? looking for opinions, as I hate to have to back-track when doing something

as to what I want to do wuth the xx? Hard core trail riding and possible a few attempts at Xc in future ,,no hardcore racing ..

Thanks

"Old dogs don't die..they just can't cock their leg anymore."

Last edited by Shovelhead; 02-12-2010 at 07:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 02-12-2010, 09:48 AM

If you have the money now might be a good time to go +2 on the front. If you go that route you might want to check in the parts for sale section of this site as i believe somone is still selling stage 4 elka's with +2 a-arms.
post #3 of 35 Old 02-12-2010, 09:59 AM

I was just on elkas site and you can build your own complete package for 1395 shocks arms wheels tires and free brake lines. I am sure these would be lower grade shocks but they are still built for your weight and you xx. Maybe you can not do the tires and wheels and get better shocks. 1395 for complete package is a great deal and will fix the push.

post #4 of 35 Old 02-12-2010, 10:25 AM

It is clearly a preference. What type of riding do you do? If there is a lot of narrow trails then you might want to reconsider the stock arms and ELka shocks. The extra width adds stability and with the long travel you will have a lot more control over larger obstacles. I have Houser front LT A-arms and love them. The difference is noticable immediately. Houser makes a quality product that was superb to put on. We installed A-arms and shocks in about an hour per bike. They slipped together nicely. As far as the push, I haven't had any pushing issues since the tire change. I can't tell you enough what a difference the tires will make.

Nasty 700xx
Barker performance exhaust
EHS racing fuel programmer
EHS racing air box lid
ITP holeshot XCT tire front and rear
Hiper beadlocks
Houser long travel A-Arms and steering stem
Elka long travel elite shocks (front)
Elka remote resevoir rear shocks
Pro taper fat bars
IMS fuel tank
DG full skids
Precision steering dampner
Hinson Clutch
Moose dual gasser throttle
DG fat nerf bars
DG fat pro V front bumper
Powermadd hand guards
ASV C5 brake/clutch levers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 35 Old 02-12-2010, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
That is exactly the type of riding that I do even down to considering doing some XC. I was considering long travel a-arms to go with the Elka shocks I was going to order, but decided against the a-arms. Houser does make very good a-arms, but I decided to concentrate on good shocks because of the riding that I do. Using the long travel a-arms also makes it necessary to use high end shocks as well. Using the long travel Houser a-arms and lower end shocks (Elka Stage 1 perhaps) just doesn't make sense... If you use the long travel a-arms, you'd also need to get something like the Elka Stage 3 at least... and that combo ain't cheap. However, you can use the stock a-arms with higher end shocks (Elka Stage 3) and get nearly as good of results... and that's what I've done... my Elka Stage 3 shocks should ship Monday and I'll post a report of their performance as soon as I get them dialed in. This is just my opinion based on the riding that I do and what I prefer. When it gets down to it though, you'll still have to make a choice that fits what YOU want for what YOU want to do.

roadkill

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
"You lock the door and throw away the key. There's someone in my head, but it's not me."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
R. Waters
x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Last edited by roadkill; 02-12-2010 at 12:58 PM.
post #6 of 35 Old 02-12-2010, 02:23 PM

in the woods you want to stay narrow, Houser A-arms are +1 1/2" you can offset that by changing the offset in the wheels. I am going to run the xc series at +1 1/2 and see. The long travel set up is far superior to the standard but you will pay for it. Just do what you feel comfortable with, any Elka set up is better than stock, just a matter of how far you want to go with your bike. I do highly reccommend the Houser/Elka set up.

Big Kidz Racing

Sponsors:
EHS Racing

Barker's Performance

Houser Racing

On The Trail TV

West Virginia ATV Tours

Hinsen Clutch Components

KBC Helmets

Hiper Racing Wheels

Member:
Score International

Best in the Desert

VXCS Virginia cross Country Series
post #7 of 35 Old 02-12-2010, 02:29 PM

another option is to run wheel spacers in the front along with better schock this is a lot cheaper way of making the front wider

ENGINE:(57.87HP-LTP DYNO)12:1CP,STAGE 3 HOT CAM, PORT/POLISHED HEAD,HDD +3 TB, DMC AFTERBURNER FULL EXHAUST,PCV,MODQUAD K&N FILTER/MODIFIED AIR BOX,13T
SUSPENSION:ELKA STAGE 3 REAR STAGE 3 FRONT/HOUSER ARMS,L8TON SWAY BAR
ITP T-9 PROSERIES SKAT~TRACK EXTREAM HAULERS/MOHAWKS,RAZR/RAZR 2
ARMOR:PRO ARMOR FAT PEG NERF BARS
PRO ARMOR DOMINATOR FRONT BUMPER,PRM DESERT GRAB BAR,PRM FULL UNDER SKIDS,X-POSED SHOCK COVERS
CONTROL:PROTAPER EVO BARS,ODI GRIPS,TRAIL TECH HI-RISE BAR CLAMP,ALBA STEERING STABILIZER
LIGHTING:HID CONVERSION/LED ACCENT LIGHTS
LOOKS: AMR GRAPGICS/MAIER PLASTICS
post #8 of 35 Old 02-12-2010, 05:19 PM

adding the spacers would only make it wider the longer a arms would also give you more travel or not?
post #9 of 35 Old 02-12-2010, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for all of your suggestions & info..

"Old dogs don't die..they just can't cock their leg anymore."
post #10 of 35 Old 02-12-2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500Rubie View Post
adding the spacers would only make it wider the longer a arms would also give you more travel or not?
this is true but in order to have more travle you gotta have the shocks that can get more travle too this was a way for me to get wider and more stable around turns before i spend the big bucks on shocks.

ENGINE:(57.87HP-LTP DYNO)12:1CP,STAGE 3 HOT CAM, PORT/POLISHED HEAD,HDD +3 TB, DMC AFTERBURNER FULL EXHAUST,PCV,MODQUAD K&N FILTER/MODIFIED AIR BOX,13T
SUSPENSION:ELKA STAGE 3 REAR STAGE 3 FRONT/HOUSER ARMS,L8TON SWAY BAR
ITP T-9 PROSERIES SKAT~TRACK EXTREAM HAULERS/MOHAWKS,RAZR/RAZR 2
ARMOR:PRO ARMOR FAT PEG NERF BARS
PRO ARMOR DOMINATOR FRONT BUMPER,PRM DESERT GRAB BAR,PRM FULL UNDER SKIDS,X-POSED SHOCK COVERS
CONTROL:PROTAPER EVO BARS,ODI GRIPS,TRAIL TECH HI-RISE BAR CLAMP,ALBA STEERING STABILIZER
LIGHTING:HID CONVERSION/LED ACCENT LIGHTS
LOOKS: AMR GRAPGICS/MAIER PLASTICS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode