Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #232 of 241 Old 03-28-2017, 02:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
estatic

Man! What a difference!
Went from a stock nose drooping pogo stick to smooth riding, firm cornering, well behaved ATV! These are what Honda should have used from the factory.
Have my adjusters all set at midpoint for now. Will fine tune later. Just enough preload on the springs to hold them in place at full travel. Front of ATV sits about 3/4 inch higher than stock. Actually feels better. Sits more level. Arms/wheels have about 1.5 inches additional down travel. Awesome mod for under $250.
post #233 of 241 Old 03-29-2017, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Just curious if you used the XX springs or kept the DS springs.

post #234 of 241 Old 03-29-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumbauer View Post
Just curious if you used the XX springs or kept the DS springs.
I used the DS springs. 3 reasons-First they are progressive and the stockers look to be non-progressive. Second they were brand new. Third if the DS has a reputation for being such a nice handling rig, why not? IMO, they're great for the price. These (XC models) were about 3/4 inch longer than the stock Honda shocks. If someone is concerned about the ride height, some of the DS models have shorter shocks that should match the Honda stockers. IMO, I think it sits and rides much better than before.

With the factory shocks, I felt I was going to go over the handlebars each time I braked or went into a turn. Not no more!

PRM Desert II bumper and PRM Control Grab bar, Houser anti-vibe Pro-Bounce nerfs, DS450XC shock mod, ROX anti-vibe 2" riser, Tusk billet gas cap, more to come.....
post #235 of 241 Old 03-29-2017, 01:49 PM

needed my 10th post

PRM Desert II bumper and PRM Control Grab bar, Houser anti-vibe Pro-Bounce nerfs, DS450XC shock mod, ROX anti-vibe 2" riser, Tusk billet gas cap, more to come.....
post #236 of 241 Old 03-29-2017, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
I think some people switched the springs was because of the weight of the XX. Just wanted to see what you did. I have a set to put on, but want a chance to ride it again (had to take last year off) before I put them on just so that I have it fresh in my mind what the ride was like stock.
post #237 of 241 Old 03-29-2017, 03:32 PM

The DS springs feel better to me.

The weight between the Can Am and the 700XX is not that much different. I can't imagine the overall total spring rates are all that different either.

In appearance, the Can Am DS KYB shocks and springs look to be much higher quality.
The springs are progressive.
The spring coils look to be larger diameter, but this could be better/thicker powder coating?
The Can Am Springs are better powder coated than the Honda.
The actual shocks are not comparable. Two different worlds.

As I mentioned before, the DS springs are also progressive. They may feel softer initially, but firm up as they compress. This allows the ride height to come down when you sit on the bike as well as absorb minor bumps better. So even though the bike sits a bit higher at rest (3/4 inch), once you sit on it I think it levels out with the stock position. I didn't feel the need to disassemble the stock shocks to try them, but just squeezing the stock shocks, the springs felt cheap/harsh to me?

The springs job is to support the weight of the bike by returning it to riding position. That's all. The DS shocks do this perfectly.
If they are too soft or hard, it can be adjusted through the clickers on the shock.

I've read about guys complaining the DS shock/spring raises the front of the bike too much? Again, this just shows the DS spring works.
If the spring was too soft, the bike would sit low.
When you measure the stock spring and the DS spring, both unloaded, they are about the same length.
The stock spring seems more hard/harsh/less advanced than the KYB DS spring.

Another reason to use the DS springs is that they are matched to the shock. The shocks are good. The engineers did it right. There is a reason they matched these springs to the shock.
Unless you're going to have a professional set the shocks up for you by changing valving, I would not change the springs.

I wouldn't mess with the stock springs.
As for the yellow color...I've got a set of black shock covers.

post #238 of 241 Old 03-29-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumbauer View Post
I think some people switched the springs was because of the weight of the XX. Just wanted to see what you did. I have a set to put on, but want a chance to ride it again (had to take last year off) before I put them on just so that I have it fresh in my mind what the ride was like stock.
I don't know about that. I wish I could get the stock ride out of my head. It sucks.
Bought mine about a month ago. The first time I rode a 700xx was when I went to look at this one.
Suspension was 100% stock.
Stock factory tires.
Only mod to the bike was a 13T sprocket and skid plates. First time I hit the brakes going about 30mph thought I was going to flip over the handlebars.
And that was rear brakes.
My first thought was WTF? Who designs an ATV to handle like this?
Then I tried to pull a U turn at the end of the street at about 5 mph the bike was fighting me.
If I didn't know there were better suspension options out there, I would have never bought a 700XX.

Although far from perfect, I'd say the front shock upgrade fixed 90% of the issue. Different tires will help some more.
Now it doesn't nose drop when I hit the brakes. The entire bike squats, as it should.
It also turns much better.

Can't wait to jump it and abuse it a bit.

post #239 of 241 Old 11-21-2017, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Alright guys so i picked up some ds450 shocks off ebay for $170 shipped, they look pretty much brand new on the pics, 0 wear on the springs so should be able to machine these and throw on the xx without issue. The issue i do have is that my atv is at my buddies house and its quite the distance. We are supposed to go ride this weekend and was hoping to machine the upper portion of the shock before we go riding. Can someone confirm that shock mount on the atv is .750? Also, the bottom of the mount should slide into a arm without issue correct? Also im 5'11" 215 lbs , what would be a good starting point for the settings? thanks in advance
post #240 of 241 Old 11-21-2017, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
crossed posted on FB club700x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode