Stability with wheel size - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 06-15-2017, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
tomkat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: PNW
Posts: 333
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Stability with wheel size

Hey everyone! Original member here, haven't been on in years!

I did some searching and can't find any posts about rim width and stability... So here goes.

I bashed in one of my original stock front rims (10x7) and did some reading to find that a lot of folks are running 10x5 3+2 or 10x6 3+3 on the fronts now. By the number of people running 10x5 in front and not reading anything about instability or brake and caliper exposure, it seems that it's no big deal. But I was wondering if someone here could comment and give me a more personal review if you have switched to 10x5 in front? Are the calipers and brakes too exposed? Taking any added damage since switching? Still running 21x7x10 tires? Is it tippy in corners with the narrower fronts? Does it track straight better or worse? Any impacts when jumping from going narrower? Is the 3+2 offset a problem or does it work?

Anyway, thanks for any feedback! Glad to see the site is alive and well!

Tommy
tomkat is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 Old 06-15-2017, 02:15 PM

 
M_Quick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Columbus, Oh
Posts: 5,706
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Garage
headscratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkat View Post

I bashed in one of my original stock front rims (10x7) and did some reading to find that a lot of folks are running 10x5 3+2 or 10x6 3+3 on the fronts now.

Anyway, thanks for any feedback! Glad to see the site is alive and well!

Tommy
Your front rims weren't original if they were a 10x7" The oem front was 10x5.5". The tire size was 10x7x21" Rear OEM wheel 11x7". As far as I know w/out spending a ridiculous amount for a oem front rim, is why everyone goes 10x5 or 10x6, because Idt any after market company's make the 10x5.5 but I could be wrong. The 3+2 does expose a bit more of the front caliper, but I've experienced no damage. The plus side, is it helps widen the front out some. Which is nice when running the 10" rear wheels. If looking for new wheels I'd recommend DWT 0.190. And if you have some extra cash go to OMF and have them add the reinforcement rings.


#1 2008 Honda Trx700xx HMF Performance Exhaust, PCV, Stroked 710cc, 10.5:1 Wiseco Piston, Frt Elka Stage 4's, Fox Podium X rear's, EHS Lid, L8ton 11/16" sway bar, DG 6 Pack Rack, PRM Desert II Bumper & Front Skids.
#2 2008 Trx700xx AMR Reaper, Ehs Big 3, P/P head, Xcalibur Cam, Hard Welded Rockers, +1 In/Ex Valves, +3 Throttle body, 11:1 CP Piston, Elka Stage 3 Legacy Shocks, L8ton 11/16th Sway Bar, PRM Front Skids, Desert II Bumper & Rear Utility Rack.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
M_Quick is online now  
post #3 of 5 Old 06-15-2017, 04:04 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 591
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkat View Post
Hey everyone! Original member here, haven't been on in years!

I did some searching and can't find any posts about rim width and stability... So here goes.

I bashed in one of my original stock front rims (10x7) and did some reading to find that a lot of folks are running 10x5 3+2 or 10x6 3+3 on the fronts now. By the number of people running 10x5 in front and not reading anything about instability or brake and caliper exposure, it seems that it's no big deal. But I was wondering if someone here could comment and give me a more personal review if you have switched to 10x5 in front? Are the calipers and brakes too exposed? Taking any added damage since switching? Still running 21x7x10 tires? Is it tippy in corners with the narrower fronts? Does it track straight better or worse? Any impacts when jumping from going narrower? Is the 3+2 offset a problem or does it work?

Anyway, thanks for any feedback! Glad to see the site is alive and well!

Tommy
I put wider rims on the back of my XX

751 ,barker pipe,290 Web cam,+3 stroker,TB bored to 46.8 and moved back from head 1 inch,+3 big bore , +1 intake valves, Hard Welded Rockers,KW springs, ported, clutch mod , air box removed ,Cat oil mod, dynojet commander V w/auto tune , lowered rear end , TRX450R front shocks ,
cataway is offline  
 
post #4 of 5 Old 06-16-2017, 02:44 PM
Senior Member
 
blakjak619's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
I thrashed a caliper down in baja and it ended up taking my entire hub and line with it

-2008 Alba Racing TRX700xx Desert Runner-
blakjak619 is offline  
post #5 of 5 Old 06-16-2017, 03:48 PM

 
M_Quick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Columbus, Oh
Posts: 5,706
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakjak619 View Post
I thrashed a caliper down in baja and it ended up taking my entire hub and line with it
How did you manage that, was it from bending a wheel?

#1 2008 Honda Trx700xx HMF Performance Exhaust, PCV, Stroked 710cc, 10.5:1 Wiseco Piston, Frt Elka Stage 4's, Fox Podium X rear's, EHS Lid, L8ton 11/16" sway bar, DG 6 Pack Rack, PRM Desert II Bumper & Front Skids.
#2 2008 Trx700xx AMR Reaper, Ehs Big 3, P/P head, Xcalibur Cam, Hard Welded Rockers, +1 In/Ex Valves, +3 Throttle body, 11:1 CP Piston, Elka Stage 3 Legacy Shocks, L8ton 11/16th Sway Bar, PRM Front Skids, Desert II Bumper & Rear Utility Rack.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
M_Quick is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome