Trail tires with a mud focus - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 04-29-2019, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Trail tires with a mud focus

Ordering a set of XC Masters for days when there isn't as much of a mud focus, but want to have a second set of wheels with some mud tires for when the conditions call for it. First trip is in 2 weeks and it is muddy so I need them somewhat promptly. I think after a lot of searching I've narrowed it down to one of three Bear Claws and the Zilla. These are going on 10" Douglas wheels. Not sure which option to pick.

**All specs from Dennis Kirk
Bear Claw 0.8" Tread:
24 x 11, 23.2" diameter 21.37lbs
23 x 10, 23" diameter 22lbs
22 x 12, 21.1" diameter 23.56lbs

Maxxis Zilla
0.6" tread: 22 x 11, 15.6lbs

I am not sure I believe the .6 on the Maxxis (mudthrower says .75") I am also having a hard time with the weight as they seem really light (mudthrower has the 22-10-9 at 15.2lbs).

Fronts will be 22" XC Masters for both the dry and mud tires. What would you pick?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-29-2019, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Garage
The xc master tires will surprise you in muddy conditions. Of the other 2, I've ran claws but not zillas. Claws are good but heavy & there probably cheaper. If I were you, I'd run the gbc once, before you buy more tires, that you may not need.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

#1 2008 Honda Trx700xx HMF Performance Exhaust, PCV, Stroked 710cc, 10.5:1 Wiseco Piston, Frt Elka Stage 4's, Fox Podium X rear's, EHS Lid, L8ton 11/16" sway bar, PRM Desert II Bumper & Front Skids.
#2 2008 Trx700xx AMR Reaper, Ehs Big 3, P/P head, Xcalibur Cam, Hard Welded Rockers, +1 In/Ex Valves, +3 Throttle body, 11:1 CP Piston, Elka Stage 3 Legacy Shocks, L8ton 11/16th Sway Bar, PRM Front Skids, Desert II Bumper & Rear Utility Rack.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old 04-29-2019, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Thanks. I also will use them in the snow so something with a paddle makes sense but didn't want to cloud the discussion as I would optimize them for muddy trails and deal with less than perfect for the snow. I live on Lake Minnetonka so while I primarily snowmobile, if I just need to get somewhere on the lake I will hop on the XX. I'll order up a set of the claws for that.

post #4 of 4 Old 04-29-2019, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Garage
Well I know the Bear Claws will work in the snow, a lot better than the GBC Xc master tires. Speaking of snow, I'm wondering if you seen this youtube video?

#1 2008 Honda Trx700xx HMF Performance Exhaust, PCV, Stroked 710cc, 10.5:1 Wiseco Piston, Frt Elka Stage 4's, Fox Podium X rear's, EHS Lid, L8ton 11/16" sway bar, PRM Desert II Bumper & Front Skids.
#2 2008 Trx700xx AMR Reaper, Ehs Big 3, P/P head, Xcalibur Cam, Hard Welded Rockers, +1 In/Ex Valves, +3 Throttle body, 11:1 CP Piston, Elka Stage 3 Legacy Shocks, L8ton 11/16th Sway Bar, PRM Front Skids, Desert II Bumper & Rear Utility Rack.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode