Anyone flip their rear rims for better handling? - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 Old 06-25-2010, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone flip their rear rims for better handling?

Has anyone done this to get a wider wheel distance for better handling? Just want some of your thoughts.

08 700xx aka hillclimber

"If you want something done right, do it yourself"

Dominated...
SW, PA
Wellsville, OH
Buffalo Mtn, WV
Little Coal River, WV
Bearwallow, WV (every blk/red trail)
Rockhouse, WV (every blk/red trail)
Indian Ridge, WV
Pinnacle Creek, WV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 06-25-2010, 09:10 PM

oh god
post #3 of 49 Old 06-25-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC0861 View Post
oh god

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
KASH 2011

post #4 of 49 Old 06-25-2010, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
oh god
Why 'oh god'? Something wrong with the question??

08 700xx aka hillclimber

"If you want something done right, do it yourself"

Dominated...
SW, PA
Wellsville, OH
Buffalo Mtn, WV
Little Coal River, WV
Bearwallow, WV (every blk/red trail)
Rockhouse, WV (every blk/red trail)
Indian Ridge, WV
Pinnacle Creek, WV

Last edited by blk84; 06-25-2010 at 10:33 PM.
post #5 of 49 Old 06-25-2010, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk84 View Post
Why 'oh god'? Something wrong with the question??

I don't get it either

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

...a MAKEOVER ? ...honey, you need to be RUNOVER !!!
post #6 of 49 Old 06-26-2010, 02:43 AM

If you did I think you would have to remove the mud scrapers so that your valve stems don't get ripped out. IMO if you flip your rears you will be putting to much load on the wheel itself. When mounted correctly the hub sits in the middle of the rim. Just my 2cents

Live to Ride Ride to Live
post #7 of 49 Old 06-26-2010, 03:22 AM

headscratch hmmm...ok, just hear me out here

Quote:
Originally Posted by yama450yfz View Post
If you did I think you would have to remove the mud scrapers so that your valve stems don't get ripped out. IMO if you flip your rears you will be putting to much load on the wheel itself. When mounted correctly the hub sits in the middle of the rim. Just my 2cents

Actually, is the hub actually in the center of the wheel ? Mine appear offset more toward the outside stock and inside flipped, but thats besides the point...

I may be way off here, but it has to be close to the same forces are on your wheel no matter which way you mount it if you think about it, I mean your only moving it out the thickness of the rim which is what like 4mm ??? So basically when they are on stock if you run over a rock with the inside of the tire it is the same pressure pushing up on it as would be if you were to run the same thing over with the outside of the tire with it flipped. As far as fast cornering, the extra width may put more force on your outside wheel, but the inside one adds weight to the inside keping all the weight from really pushing on the outside wheel that hard. In adition to that, you are more prone to slide and when your wheels are sliding theres less resistance between them and the ground taking pressure off as well. It may not be reccomended, but as i've said before, i weigh in at 220, so thats 725lbs plus centrifigul force and gravity pushing on that one outsiode wheel when i bury my thumb and come out of a corner on one wheel and they havent even began to show signs of fatigue...

just MY 2 cents...

post #8 of 49 Old 06-26-2010, 04:25 AM

sorry but simple physics says that the forces will be alot greater as the leverage arm is longer because your rear width is wider.

Last edited by froggy; 06-26-2010 at 07:23 PM.
post #9 of 49 Old 06-26-2010, 05:09 AM

Quote:
oh god

You're killin me.....

11:1, Web Stg2 cam, PCV, Powerbomb/Powercore4, Razr's all around. Air cleaner lid mod, Uni filter, HID Lighting, 6 pack rack, Motion Pro twist, L8ton 9/16, DS/Elka shocks, IMS Tank, Grip heaters

post #10 of 49 Old 06-26-2010, 02:32 PM

Ok, thanks froggy, and by the way its not "leaverage" it's "leverage"...look, my neighbor who does chassis design and fab for penske racing as well as my roomate who was an engineer in the navy and is now a machinist for ingersol rand were both here this morning and we three looked at it, discussed it and, well, theres not much if any more force on your wheel, sorry, there just isnt, for that to happen your atv would have to gain weight somehow...if anything, theres less, because you have to exert less force on the end of a longer lever to move a greater load....

think about it, just grab your grab bar and lift your quad, ok, now shove a 4 foot long lever in there and do the same, easier ain't it ? well that less force, duh...

there might be slightly more torque on the center part of your wheel, but your suspension would have to bottom out before that comes in to play i believe...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode