Twist Throttle Question (Motion Pro) - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 03-29-2012, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Twist Throttle Question (Motion Pro)

Plan on installing one this weekend. If you have done this install, I would like to ask a few questions. Did you do the install without pulling the fenders and fuel tank? Dealer seems to think it can be done from the side. Can you get to the dust cover on the throttle plate to pull the cable off? Any other info would be greatly appreciated before I get started on it. Anything particular I need to look out for. If it can be screwed up, I am the one to do it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 TRX 700xx
'07 Yamaha 660 Rhino Sport - Turbocharged
'01 Raptor 660- Sold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-29-2012, 08:21 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
terrible idea on the xx i had on for one ride took it back off and never looked back my thoughts though not yours hope you enjoy
post #3 of 11 Old 03-29-2012, 09:13 PM

I have the dual gasser throttle from Moose, I liked the idea of having the option to go from thumb to twist and back. But unless I am on a flat open road just cruzing around I always use the thumb throttle. The twist is just plain uncontrolable in rough stuff or hills. The Moose Unit twist does not have the fine control that I would like thhough, it's hard to get a smooth throttle with it.

Having the option has been nice, but I would be with 700xxChris on this one, you probably wont like just the twist.

08 700XX
07 Long Travel Rhino
07 Suzuki LT2550
06 Kido's Chino 70cc quad
04 Rancher 350ES
04 Rancher 350
91 Jeep YJ
81 ATC 70XX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 Old 03-29-2012, 09:31 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I installed a Motion Pro twist on both my 700XX's. I removed the fenders and tank just to make it easier. You might be able to install it without removing everything, but I would think getting to the cover on the throttle body would be kind of difficult. I would rather remove everything to see what you are doing, then try to do it by feel and install something wrong.

Twist vs thumb is and endless debate, just depends on what your are comfortable with. I can't stand thumb throttles, twist all the way for me. If i had to use a thumb throttle, I would quit riding!

Doug

2004 TRX450R, 2008 TRX700XX
(BITD #639 Quad Ironman Expert)

2015 sponsors: Teixeiratech.com, Motowoz.com, Snailmotorsports.com, My bank account.

2008 TRX700XX
2005 TRX450R
1986 TRX250R
post #5 of 11 Old 03-30-2012, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feed back. I know there are lots of cons and pros of going to a twister. If there was a way to put more tension on the thumb version, I would be willing to try it. But after several hours of riding and especially rough stuff, my thumb gives out. I hate how easy it is to give it throttle. It's just to touchy and always blipping it. Seems like I have to make an effort to keep a light touch on the thumb. Hoping the twist takes some of that out. Because of that, I tend to stay away from the xx and drive the rhino. I didn't go with the dual gasser after reading some of the posts about the thumb not being located in a good position. Thanks again to all. If you have anything else to add, please join in.

'08 TRX 700xx
'01 Raptor 660- Sold.

Last edited by Duramax; 03-30-2012 at 09:15 AM.
post #6 of 11 Old 03-30-2012, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I rode dirt bikes so was well use to the twist..
cant be doing with a thumb on a quad so all my quads have been twist.
I have no problem whatsoever in the most technical sections.
As already stated, some love thumb, some twist..

what does happen when installing a twist is due to the small amount of cable movement with a thumb, it converts to around 1/8 to a quarter turn only, far less than on a bike so much more sensative.
post #7 of 11 Old 03-30-2012, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

DBergstrom- I need a suggestion if you don't mind. I have the plastic off and down to the injector body cover. I seems to have one screw on the top right corner and some tabs holding the bottom in place. I have tried moving the cover around and up and down and not sure how to get the tabs out. Do you remember the secret to getting the tabs undone and getting the cover off? The frame looks as if might be in the way of getting to the cable. Did you remove the whole body from the engine as the pic. in the manual? Was hoping not to have to pull if all the way off.

On a second note. I have intended asking you for a long time what part of the country you was raised? I taught a David Bergstom many years ago and was just curious if you might be the same. It would be a long shot but just wondering. Thanks. d

'08 TRX 700xx
'01 Raptor 660- Sold.
post #8 of 11 Old 03-30-2012, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I cant remember how i did my cable but did not remove the throttle body..
I may have used a lever to "move it" a little to help with access ?
post #9 of 11 Old 03-30-2012, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I managed to get the dust cover off without breaking off the tab. Should be downhill from here...

'08 TRX 700xx
'01 Raptor 660- Sold.
post #10 of 11 Old 03-30-2012, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I didn't remove the throttle body either, but I did loosen the clamps on both ends and was able to rotate it some for access, made install a little easier.

Don't know a David Bergstrom. I have lived in the southwest all my life. California the first few years, then have lived in Nevada for the last 30 or so. I did have an uncle though that spent some time in Texas (His name is Ed Bergstrom.) and I know he has a couple of sons, but I don't know if the sons ever lived in Texas with him. My uncle never stayed in one place to long, I haven't even seen him myself in over 20 years or so, my dad just gets a phone call or post card from him every now and then. I will ask my Dad the next time I talk to him, see if he knows a David.

Doug

2004 TRX450R, 2008 TRX700XX
(BITD #639 Quad Ironman Expert)

2015 sponsors: Teixeiratech.com, Motowoz.com, Snailmotorsports.com, My bank account.

2008 TRX700XX
2005 TRX450R
1986 TRX250R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode