Sway bar vs replacement upper a-arms - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 04-10-2012, 01:02 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Sway bar vs replacement upper a-arms

So I know this has been discussed, but haven't really seen a good comparison, so figured I would do it! I bought a set of Teixeira Tech upper replacement a-arms and a L8ton 9/16" sway bar the end of last year, but due to my motor being apart and just life in general, I haven't had a chance to ride with either.

The area I went to ride in last Sunday is my regular riding area, been riding there for over a decade. I have a practice loop out there that is about 12 miles or so in length, has a little bit of everything. (High speed, whoops, tight stuff, sand, etc.) I have probably been around this loop over 100 times, I know it like the back of my hand.

So, first off, I installed only the sway bar. Figured I would ride with just the sway bar and the stock upper arms. The only suspension mods to the quad before the sway bar was tires and wheels. (Front is 23" razr's with 3:2 offset DWT ultimate wheels, while the rears are 22" razr's with 11", 5:2 offset OMF beadlocks.) My plan was to ride one loop with the new saway bar, head back to my truck, reinstall the stock sway bar and ride the same exact loop again. Figured that would be the best way to compare them, back to back over the same terrain.

I will be the first to admit that I was pretty skeptical about a sway bar helping the push, but I was surprised by how much it helped. That being said, it did not totally eliminate the push. What I noticed was the higher the speeds were, the better the quad steered, but at slow speed (sharp first gear corners) there wasn't much of an improvement. I also noticed that how much the sway bar helped depended on how I steered the quad. If I slid the rear of the quad to make a corner, it really made a difference, but if I used the handle bars to steer, it didn't seem to help as much, but did still help, except for those first gear sharp corners. Sharp corners in sand were still not fun.

I did really like the bar for the high speed sweeping corners, for sure helped reduce body roll. I did notice it took a little of the "independent" out of the rear suspension. There is one section of my loop that I go through in fourth gear that has a bunch of uneven bumps that the rear didn't feel quite as planted on, wasn't bad, but the stiffer bar was noticeable. (Still felt better planted though there then my 450R does.) After that, I knew I wouldn't have liked the 11/16" bar, very happy I got the 9/16" bar.

So, that is my comparison of the stock vs 9/16" bar. After I cleaned the quad up Sunday afternoon, I installed the new upper a-arms. Next weekend I plan on doing the same thing, one loop with the stock bar, then one loop with the 9/16" bar. Will post my findings after the weekend.

Doug

2004 TRX450R, 2008 TRX700XX
(BITD #639 Quad Ironman Expert)

2015 sponsors: Teixeiratech.com, Motowoz.com, Snailmotorsports.com, My bank account.

2008 TRX700XX
2005 TRX450R
1986 TRX250R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-10-2012, 10:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I did pretty much the same thing at Hollister Hills SVRA and came to the same conclusion.... Except, I don't have Ed's upper a-arms to try out... yet. I plan on talking to Ed this weekend at the SCCS race and George from Precision Racing about upper a-arms and anti vibe bar clamp.

roadkill

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
"You lock the door and throw away the key. There's someone in my head, but it's not me."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
R. Waters
x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Last edited by roadkill; 04-11-2012 at 10:59 AM.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-23-2012, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Well, it took me an extra week, but got to try out the new upper replacement arms yesterday. Install on the arms was pretty easy, probably took longer to set castor, camber, and toe then it did to actually install the arm. Set the castor adjustment on the second tooth back for my first intial ride. I also reinstalled the stock sway bar. Saturday just to make sure I had the front aligned right, I took the quad around the block in my neighborhood. Went to the end of the street and cranked the bars like I usually do to make the 90 degree corner and just about flipped the quad, this thing turns now!

Plan was to do the same as two weeks ago, ride one loop around my test course with the stock bar, head back to the truck, install 9/16" bar, then do one more loop. The quad did not exhibit any push at all, if anything, it actually turned a little to quick. The body roll was more noticeable now, I am guessing because the quad was turning so much better more body roll was present. After one loop and not one hint of push, I decided I wanted the steering slowed down a little, so I set the castor adjustment to three teeth from the front.

I only rode about half of my regular loop, and the steering was about perfect for me now, and still no push. Back to the truck and install the 9/16" bar. With the stiffer bar, body roll was greatly reduced helping the cornering even more. I then rode my loop one more time. I only noticed a slight push in sand, but that had to do more with my riding style then me. If I was being lazy and just coasted though the corner, the quad would push slightly. If I rode through the corner on the gas and leaning like I should, no push at all. After my second full loop, just for kicks, I adjusted the castor all the way back, so adding as much castor as I could. Took the quad for a quick ride, and the push was back, just about as bad as stock. Tells me that the push is 100% castor related. Only rode about a mile before I went back to the truck and set castor back to where it was.

In the end, the best setup I felt was both the arms and sway bar, they seem to compliment each other. About the only time I feel I wouldn't like the sway bar would be in slow speed, rough terrain, would prefer the stock bar to allow the IRS to do its job. Next step is to get the quad lower, feel that will help with the body roll even more. With the stock shocks, the thing just sits way to high. Next mod will for sure be new shocks.

Doug

2015 sponsors: Teixeiratech.com, Motowoz.com, Snailmotorsports.com, My bank account.

2008 TRX700XX
2005 TRX450R
1986 TRX250R

post #4 of 8 Old 04-24-2012, 06:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to xx700xx
Thanks for taking the time to give the forum members a true comparison. This is the type of information I like to see on here. Good work!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 Old 04-25-2012, 05:05 PM

Doug don't even bother trying to stand your caster adjustment up to the first notch. It was kinda scary riding Dumont Dunes with it that way. Both Scott3B and me both tried it and it wasn't what would be very good at all. 3rd notch seems to be the ticket for most riding. If you really had some open spaces maybe the 4th notch.
I will be buying a sway bar in the future but I just bought Fox shox for mine and Flexx bars with ASV levers and TrailTech clamp. I'm done for a while. Time to pay for a new truck now so the other toys gotta take a back seat.

08 TRX700XX(red)
HMF Pipe and Muffler
HMF Programmer(Custom Tuned)
EHS Lid
13T Driver
Maxxis Razr2's front, Razrs rear
Fasst Flexx 15degree Quad Bars
Trail Tech Riser
ASV F3 Levers
ODI Rogue Loc-ons
Fox Floats front
Podium-x rears(coming soon)
PRM Desert II front bumper
PRM nerfs
PRM standard grab bar
Quad-Tech Seat
Teixeira Tech CNC Upper A-Arms
post #6 of 8 Old 04-25-2012, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Baxter
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizuriDirt View Post
Doug don't even bother trying to stand your caster adjustment up to the first notch. It was kinda scary riding Dumont Dunes with it that way. Both Scott3B and me both tried it and it wasn't what would be very good at all. 3rd notch seems to be the ticket for most riding. If you really had some open spaces maybe the 4th notch.
I will be buying a sway bar in the future but I just bought Fox shox for mine and Flexx bars with ASV levers and TrailTech clamp. I'm done for a while. Time to pay for a new truck now so the other toys gotta take a back seat.
Nice writing Doug and 1st notch is kinda scarey as described above. The xx will make the corner but you will not be on it !It will throw you off in the slow stuff and gets way twitchy(tank slapper twitchy) in 4th and 5th. Somebody had to try it first ,just in case somebody asked.
Also agree that 3rd notch is a neutral setting. I have tried 1 to 5 notches which is quite fun but scary.

2008 TT-ReXX , 2003 400ex and 2014 CRF250r.
Products used, abused and loved from:
Ed at

Alex at

Jim at

Kyle at

With out these guys , it would not be as much fun.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-25-2012, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I figure 3 will be by regular setting, maybe 2 for real tight stuff and 4 for high speed. I will probably never use 1 or 5.

I remember years ago the first set of castor adjustable a-arms I bought were a set of Houser's for my TRX450R. My teammate and I went out and tested different suspension setups all day. One of the things we messed with was castor. Set the arms to have as little castor as possible and went out on a ride. About one mile in, there was a 100 foot or so whoop section. Hitting that at speed with little castor was a eye opening experience! I turned around and went back to the truck and said no way. My teammate wanted to try it, he made it as far as I did and also came back, said he had enough. That was when I learned castor is a good thing.

Actually, I prefer my steering be a little slow. After all, I am a desert racer, I just know how to go straight fast, I can't corner worth a sh**!

Doug

2008 TRX700XX
2005 TRX450R
1986 TRX250R
post #8 of 8 Old 04-26-2012, 07:32 AM

3 is where I settled as well. I ran on notch 2 at H&M last year and it always went where I pointed it, but it got a little twitchy back on flatter faster ground.

KASH 2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode