User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 04-22-2012, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to KTM265
Fox remote rez questions

I read this about a Fox air shock modification on another site...

The FOX air shox use nitrogen for the spring to change spring rates you adjust the amount of oil inside the reservoir body to do this you need to remove the nitrogen and valve stem or end cap, pour in more oil in the reservoir, cap it up and recharge the shock with nitrogen, by adding my adjustable end cap I can adjust a screw and increase or decrease the volume of the reservoir body and change the spring rates (compression ratio)with a turn of a wrench.

On second site, I was told this will not work because...

Remote rezzy on air shocks, moves the nitrogen/oil separation from the shock to the reservoir. That means the entire volume of oil displaced by a 1.25" shaft has to flow through a 1/8" NPT fitting. The oil can't move through that fitting so the suspension cannot move faster than when that flow maxes out.

So will this modification work or will it just trash a set of Fox shocks???

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely and in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy Crap, What a Ride!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-23-2012, 01:05 AM

why not just contact fox??
mervex
post #3 of 6 Old 04-23-2012, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I am kind of confused on what you are trying to do. When you say Fox air shock, are you taking about the Evols? If so, they don't use nitrogen for the spring, they use just regular air. (A pump is included to adjust.) They are already adjustable by using the pump. More pressure, higher spring rate and vice versa. The only place they use nitrogen is in the reservoir, and you wouldn't want to add oil there. You have to have an air space to allow for the displacement of oil as the shaft travels into the body of the shock.

That is for the Evols, maybe you are talking about another Fox air shock. If that is the case, then I am not familiar with that shock. Best bet would be to do what mervex mentioned and call Fox. Get the answer straight from the source.

Doug

2004 TRX450R, 2008 TRX700XX
(BITD #639 Quad Ironman Expert)

2015 sponsors: Teixeiratech.com, Motowoz.com, Snailmotorsports.com, My bank account.

2008 TRX700XX
2005 TRX450R
1986 TRX250R

post #4 of 6 Old 04-23-2012, 07:36 PM

Sounds like some of the info you're getting is for an emulsion shock, like the big, long-travel, low-speed units on a rock crawler. These are different beasts altogether. They do use nitrogen, at fairly high pressures (400 psi or so, often).

Edit--So, if this is the air shock you're referring to, they're wildly different than a coilover like what we have.

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-2905323...9_2184_3379218

I'm guessing this is the type of shock the info you found is referring to, because you vary the actual "spring rate" by adjusting the oil volume in them. There is no conventional spring on these units. Internally, they've got very little in common with a normal shock, which only provides dampening.

Tom

08 700XX (Gray, L8ton Racing Stealth Bumper, 13 tooth, 21" Razr2 fronts, stock rears, Precision Pro stabilizer, Fox Evols and Podium Xs, Teixeira Tech stock-length upper A-arms, Teixeira Tech stem, L8ton Racing 9/16ths sway bar, ProTaper Contour bar, Shock & Vibe clamps, EHS lid & programmer, HID headlights)

08 Outlander 800
08 Yamaha Big Bear 400 4x4

Last edited by OHV Wildcat; 04-23-2012 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Further info
post #5 of 6 Old 04-24-2012, 03:19 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to KTM265
These are the stock rear shocks on the Honda FL400R pilot...

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely and in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy Crap, What a Ride!"
post #6 of 6 Old 04-24-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM265 View Post
These are the stock rear shocks on the Honda FL400R pilot...
Ok, but what are you trying to accomplish here? If you've got coilovers on your Pilot, then spring rate and ride height can only be adjusted by replacing the spring. If there shot and need rebuilt, you'll need someone in the know to rebuild and revalve them. To my knowledge, there aren't many adjustments to be made by adjusting the amount of oil in them. That only applies to true air shocks, like what's pictured in the link I posted above.

Tom

08 700XX (Gray, L8ton Racing Stealth Bumper, 13 tooth, 21" Razr2 fronts, stock rears, Precision Pro stabilizer, Fox Evols and Podium Xs, Teixeira Tech stock-length upper A-arms, Teixeira Tech stem, L8ton Racing 9/16ths sway bar, ProTaper Contour bar, Shock & Vibe clamps, EHS lid & programmer, HID headlights)

08 Outlander 800
08 Yamaha Big Bear 400 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode